Request for encouragement

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/21/15 7:12 am - Baltimore, MD

Ok so here's the deal. Every year my Y does a "12 Days of Fitness" challenge. And each year for the past three years I've been down to the WIRE trying to get it done. Incidentally this coincides with the years I've been in grad school. Sigh.

Basically how it works is you work out 12 days at the Y in December and they give you a special t-shirt. Sounds simple, right? Well when you are a single mom/full-time worker/grad student/blogger/whatever-else-life-needs-me-to-be-at-any-given-moment it can get complicated. I always at least get a walk in each day (I have a dog) but I haven't been to the gym but three times this month.

Which means I have to go EVERY day (except Christmas when it's closed) in order to get my shirt. Now it's not really about the shirt (although it is a little bit) but about upholding this tradition. So I need some encouragement! I just really, really, really don't want to miss a year of having my t-shirt.

Do I sound completely crazy? Well even if I do...I WANT MY SHIRT!!!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Dcgirl
on 12/21/15 7:17 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Nik, that is not crazy and you can TOTALLY do this!  I just went through my calendar and matched up my schedule to what classes I can do at the gym, and on the days where the classes don't line up with my free time, I scheduled in elliptical on my calendar.  It's the only way I can prioritize my workouts and make sure I don't miss them, is by figuring out when I need to go in the morning, when at lunch, when at night.  Don't miss this tradition - even if one day you just have time to go for 30 minutes on the treadmill, it's better than nothing!  You inspire people all the time with your awesome website and meal ideas, now go inspire us with your fitness regimen ;)

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/21/15 7:21 am - Baltimore, MD

Thank you! I'm gonna do it. I LOVE how I feel when I leave the gym. Plus you're right. Me time is so important.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

kaniky
on 12/21/15 7:25 am
RNY on 05/18/15

What a wonderful goal!  You can do this!!!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

iloveravens
on 12/21/15 7:38 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Oh girl, you've got this!!  Even if you pop in and walk or elliptical for 20 mins, you can do this 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/15 12:02 pm
VSG on 03/04/14 with

You have a great feel for working out. I really envy how dedicated you are!

White Dove
on 12/21/15 8:20 am - Warren, OH

As long as I book gym time as an appointment on my calendar I can get it done.  If I just go when I feel like it, I never get to the gym.  Post the t-shirt pic when you get it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/21/15 8:53 am - Baltimore, MD

I have classes I go to, so that keeps me on routine. This last semester of school was a beast, though! It seemed like whenever I wasn't at work I was camped out in the library! I'm sooooo glad to be done. (And I'm done forever too. I have no need or desire for a doctorate degree!)

SkinnyScientist
on 12/21/15 8:59 am

No you are not crazy. What upsets you is giving up a tradition AND giving up time for yourself.

You want what you want. I think people dont understand that in grad school (at least the sciences) your life isnt your own. It is dictated by your primary investigator and whenever the bacteria decide to divide.  I would have rebellions every now and then as result of it.

If you want it. You can have it. Make this time as a time for you! Get that shirt.

I also wanted to do the 12 days of fitness at my gym, but i required to go to particular classes at particular times. It is the end of the quarter AND the holidays.  So I would run and lift and keep MY schedule and since I made it to the gym 12 times, I gave myself the gift of some pretty jewelry (i.e. a substitute goal and a substitute reward).

But in this case, you WANT that shirt. So go get it!

:)

You are determined. You will get it and do it because you want it.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/21/15 9:14 am - Baltimore, MD

YASSS! I'm claiming it!!!

I'll be sure to post the t-shirt. But yeah. I think you hit on something. I gave up time for myself. But not only that, I'm very big on being genuine. I want to be who I say I am. I like to say that I am into fitness but I feel like a phony saying that when I don't work out regularly. I am getting back to being the me I want to be - and the me I say that I am!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views