higher fat or closer to Keto diet and bypass?

RJC5197
on 8/21/16 4:47 pm - MI
RNY on 05/17/16

I am a litle over 3 months out and was discussing my progress and slow down to friend that had bypass a few years ago

He said he went to higher fat and low carb about 4 months out and he did well and it helped him get loosing again til he got to goal.

He reccomended 15 gram carb 100 gram protein and 38 grams of fat for 800 a day calorie plan

I currently am at 25 gram carb 120 gram protein and 25 gram fat for 800 calories a day

I will talk to my NUT because i have not had any problem wih any foods, even fats, and look to up my healty fat levels with flax, coconut, and nut oils to my friends reccomendations.

I just wanted to throw this out to anyone else that has done his higher fat and very low carb diet with bypass

Thanks

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/21/16 7:46 pm, edited 8/21/16 12:47 pm

I followed a very low fat diet post op RNY... That caused my GB to stop releasing the bile - and eventually I ended up with sludge (very thick bile) inside my GB, enlarged GB.. That cause GB inflamation and eventually I needed GB removal surgery... 

8 years post op I follow Keto style diet - more fat - moderate proteins and relatively low carbs... That works best for me. Most of my fat comes from avocado, nuts, coconut, eggs, and fat I use in cooking - I.e. bacon fat, ghee,. Fat also helps with BM -  constipation... 

Do whatever works for you... If you like the current plan - do it, or change to more Keto and see how you feel. 

Btw - my blood work for protein level is better now - compared with before when I tried to eat more proteins - less fat. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

__TW1082290209
on 10/8/16 6:43 am

Thank God!!! I've been looking high and low for others that are in my shoes, sort of speak. What I mean is, others that have had RNY and is now eating the keto way. I'm 13 years post op RNY gastric bypass. I lost 130 pounds. But over the years, I've almost gained it all back eating the "healthy diet" of today. I do admit that I allowed myself too many carbs. Over the years, I tried so many ways to keep the weight off. But they all failed. More importantly, eating those ways made me sick on the stomach, sluggish, sleepy, etc. 

A few months ago, I was about to start the process to have a revision surgery. Then I came across ketogenics. I researched and read, read, read all I could. So, I started. Within 3 days, the inflammation in the legs went down. The variose veins in my thighs use to sting after working 12 hour shifts, but by the third day, it was completely gone. My energy level shot to the roof. I dropped like 9 pounds the first two weeks. It's the best I've felt in years.

I'm so glad I have found other RNY-ers on this plan. I hope I can ask questions from time to time. I get back to my original post op weight!!! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/8/16 9:05 am

Absolutely.  At one time I gained 25 lbs... I just ate too much while drinking too much wine. 

Plus I ate to many so called "low carb - net carbs" processed foods... Wondering why my blood sugar is all over the range...high one minute...low in the next 30-45 min... No matter how hard I tried - limit calories, fat - my BS would crash... 

Someone suggested I research  Dr. Bernstein diabetic solution.. Very interesting approach to blood sugar and how to control it. It does not only applies to diabetics but to anyone who is sugar -carb sensitive and wants to get off the roller coaster...

http://www.diabetes-book.com/read-online-diabetes-diet/

I introduced more fat in my diet - more natural fats - avocado, olives, fatty nuts, meats.etc. some fat makes me nauseated...so I don't eat that... But I can eat 1/2 to 1 avocado in one sitting... 

I am slowly heaving my gut (i have leaky gut- SIBO and Candida) and get better with my food allergy (the list of foods I am allergic - sensitive to is no longer growing - it is shrinking..). 

I lost all my regain..and a couple of lbs... Now I have to introduced more carbs so I stop losing...  

I stil have IBS-C and don't like eating in the morning but get really hungry in evening.. So I shift my eating patern and eat between 12 and 8-9 pm.  I practice what they call "IF" when you eat only during 8-10 hour window in every 24 hours.  Normal people do it by having the la51st meal at 6 pm and having breakfast at 8... 

I started IF to limit the gut pain (IBS) when I start eating... And surprisingly that not only helped my IBS but all my other issues...including food allergies, blood sugar level, my weight, even my blood protein and iron level... 

Less inflamation in the gut - more proper absorbtion and assimilation. 

I am not saying this is for everyone... But it works great for me. 

I recently introduced more sprouted nuts and seeds to my diet. My body needs that now. 

Good luck... 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

turner3670
on 3/2/18 5:43 am

Hello I had RNY 2000 but the past year steadily gaining 35 pounds so far can you tell me the carbs fats protein etc allowed on keto that you tried anything you could share would be appreciated thanks

__TW1082290209
on 5/31/17 3:37 am, edited 5/30/17 8:37 pm

UPDATE:

Thank you again for helping months ago. I've found what works for me!!! It is as you mentioned: low carb, HIGH fat. (I even do zero carbs at times.) It's so sustainable. My menu consists of bacon, meats, BUTTER, MCT oil, ghee, almonds, cheese, eggs, etc. And I do "IF" also. Sometime without even trying. I feel GREAT!!! This is the best I've felt since surgery years ago! My lab results are so much better! I've lost weight and several inches. I have much more energy! This is the way to go!

Now, my question is, do you still take vitamins? It was told that "we" would be on vitamins for a life time. Non-surgery low carb-ers use them. But many zero carb-ers don't use vitamins but get all what's needed from meats. However, due to our internal rearrangement, we have to think differently. I'm curious. I do however plan to check my labs again in 6 months.

Once again, thank you!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/31/17 8:08 am

Long term post op RNY is critical to take vitamins. Very very critical. And test as many as you can. Many blood vials at yearly blood test. Essential. Critical.

Some I take just 100-200% (based on my long term labs) others - much much more than that. Based on my labs.

I also on vitamin patches. That helps with some of my numbers.

Not taking vitamins long term post op is worse than Russian roulette. The bullet would just like you fast. Vitamin - mineral deficiency - may make you suffer very badly for very long time before they would kill you. Serious stuff. No joke here.

Btw- testing to make sure you take enough not to much is critical. Some levels of we take to much can get toxic - touch level= poisoning slowly but surely. They many be as bad or worse as low levels.

Fyi- some damage caused by too low or too high levels can be permanent- and once the same happens - it can't be undone. That's why that is a critical issues.

If you are not scared about that yet- start to be.

If I can convince one person of the importance of taking and testing vitamins- minerals levels- I would be happy.

__TW1082290209
on 5/31/17 4:30 pm, edited 5/31/17 9:31 am

Thank you!

I'm convinced! Rest assured, I've been taking them. I now try to take the higher dose ones.

A few months after my surgery years ago, I stopped the B12 shots. Actually, I never really started them even though I was instructed to get them. I tried self administration, it hurt, and I never did it. I'd learned of the serious neurological damage that could happen from prolonged deficiency. So, in my quest for better health last Fall, I started getting them. With my change in eating habits and them, I feel so much better!!!

Thank you!

ShandrewsCA
on 1/10/18 3:29 pm, edited 1/10/18 7:30 am - Coeur D Alene, ID

I had RNY in September 2005. SW was 280, lowest I got to was 140. I then fluctuated between 160-170 for years and was okay with that.

I started peri-menopause a few months ago and my weight climbed to 192. Waaaay too close to 200 for my taste, and it scared me. I did a lot of research as well, and the Keto diet seemed very similar to what my diet looked like post-op.

I started Keto on December 11, 2017, and as of January 1, 2018 I have lost 15 lbs and am down to 177. I would like to hit my original goal weight of 140 again.

Keto on my friends!

Pre-RNY Weight: 280 lbs (09/14/05)

Lowest Post-Op Weight: 140 lbs

Starting Ozempic Weight: 180 lbs (08/26/22)

Week 1 Weight: 174 lbs (09/02/22)

Estafonia42
on 1/10/18 3:40 pm

I have a very similar story with regards to my weight and menopause. Would you be able to send me this keto diet that would be great at least direct me on where to find information

Good for you congratulations must feel great

Most Active