Not necessarily [Blocked from the daily menu thread...]

HonestOmnivore
on 8/8/17 1:27 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

I would just like to add that I certainly don't think adding wine into my diet is a wise choice. Nor would I want anyone else to do this. I also don't think I'm magically immune from the risk.

It's irrational and dangerous.

I've spoken with my medical team (all) and we have a plan in place that should reduce (but not eliminate) the greatest danger, of my becoming an alcoholic. The second danger, of becoming intoxicated but not knowing I'm intoxicated, is dealt with through not partaking of alcohol when I am driving or otherwise handling tasks of a sensitive nature. The third risk is empty calories, and that is monitored through my calorie tracking.

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

The Salty Hag
on 8/9/17 7:00 am
RNY on 05/20/13
On August 8, 2017 at 8:27 PM Pacific Time, HonestOmnivore wrote:

I would just like to add that I certainly don't think adding wine into my diet is a wise choice. Nor would I want anyone else to do this. I also don't think I'm magically immune from the risk.

It's irrational and dangerous.

I've spoken with my medical team (all) and we have a plan in place that should reduce (but not eliminate) the greatest danger, of my becoming an alcoholic. The second danger, of becoming intoxicated but not knowing I'm intoxicated, is dealt with through not partaking of alcohol when I am driving or otherwise handling tasks of a sensitive nature. The third risk is empty calories, and that is monitored through my calorie tracking.

You seriously need a new medical team. No ethical surgeon or medical team should EVER be okay with you putting stress on your already over-taxed liver.

You are endangering your life for wine. That's a serious problem.

I hope it's worth it.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

HonestOmnivore
on 8/9/17 9:35 am
RNY on 03/29/17

"No ethical surgeon or medical team should EVER be okay with you putting stress on your already over-taxed liver."

"You are endangering your life for wine. That's a serious problem."

I just touched base with my local NUT who works with the bariatric team here in Columbus (not the office where I had my surgery) and shared your thoughts with her. I asked if I should be getting any additional liver tests. She said that drinking hard alcohol or moderate drinking (3-5 glasses a week) of wine would COULD put me at risk for liver damage but then listed all the basic reasons we already know for the real risks: Higher rate of alcoholism post RNY, Intoxication at lower levels of intake, damage to digestive track, empty calories, drinking while eating (which improves liver hit but obviously breaks the rule and empties the pouch too quickly).

Also, coffee is harder on the gut than a glass of wine. Several of our menu friends include coffee on their menus but we rarely see anyone calling them out for it. Some have talked about having to back off after reflux or other stomach pain. It's often an individual thing.

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Ginnny
on 8/8/17 11:11 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Daisy is very passionate about wanting to help people and have them succeed. If she blocked your posts it may be because she is worried about the choices that you're making and doesn't want to see you fail.

She wouldn't have done it with malicious intent only to not have to read your posts and see you "wasting" the precious tool you were given.

That's just my thoughts.

HonestOmnivore
on 8/8/17 11:13 am
RNY on 03/29/17

While I'm a relative newb, I can not imagine that Daisy has a malicious bone in her (now very tiny) body. And yeah, she is passionate and dedicated, both very good traits to have!

SW - 206 CW - 128

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/8/17 11:21 am

Block is there to be able to avoid conflict. Someone does not like your post, your tone- or just because - can block you. I blocked a person who's avatar reminded me of bad things. I just did not like to see it daily or even once in a while. So I blocked her. I blocked people who's tone of posts were annoying to me. And so on...or blocked people who blocked me first.

Like in real life - there are people you like and propel you don't care about - you don't hate - just don't want to see them.

it is life.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/8/17 11:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Very good point, Hala. I've blocked people who adhere to viewpoints that very flatly contradict medical best practices because I just can't deal with it. ESPECIALLY if I've repeatedly pointed out the scientific inaccuracy. Including...

"Eating only one meal a day at 9pm is the best way to stay skinny"

"I don't supplement with calcium because supplements are dangerous and exercise prevents bone loss"

"You can fight regain by fasting on an all-soup diet"

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/8/17 12:02 pm

Image result for lemon memes Don't forget the ever-popular lemon as a panacea.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Grim_Traveller
on 8/9/17 4:55 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Magic healing turkey was my favorite.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SisterWithit
on 8/10/17 4:08 am - St. Catharines, ON, Canada

~ But for the grace of God, there go I ~