Protien Struggle

jbranch65
on 11/20/17 6:05 pm
RNY on 09/29/17

So, I'm about 2 1/2 months post op and I am still struggling to get my mind off 50g of protien. Protien shakes make me nauseous and I can only eat so much in a day. Some days I don't even want to eat but I make myself.

Does any have any alternative protien suggestions? I really don't know what else to try.

mirandaF
on 11/20/17 6:35 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

Honestly take a look at http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

She has some amazing recipes with protein being a main for her. They are so good and varied that you never have to feel like your eating the same thing all the time. Also where are you at in your food. Are you allowed normal food, are you still on soft. Knowing this can help with suggestions!

jbranch65
on 11/21/17 3:43 am
RNY on 09/29/17

Thanks I'll give it a look. I'm currently on a soft food diet

gbears
on 11/20/17 6:39 pm

Do you are meat or are you vegetarian?

I typically get in around 70g and sometimes even more. My clinic wants 60-90g.

Chicken is great for protein. For a 4oz serving of chicken breast you get 31g of protein. I also start every day with an egg and 1/4 of cheese (scrambled together) that gives me 13g of protein.

I tend to mix things up at lunch and snacks but some cheese, tuna, meatballs, or other high protein whole foods easily bring me up to 70g. Make sure you are getting high protein foods in at least 5 times a day and you should not have a problem.

I am like you that I am never hungry but I force myself ot eat my meals. I know that if I don't get my protein in I am going to feel worse. I also have figured out my comfort point for serving size. The 4oz of chicken is pretty much my limit for serving size.

Lap Band - 07/08 (not filled long) Referral OBN 04/16, Orientation 09/16, Nutrition Workshop 4/7/17, Nurse 4/24/17, Psych 5/15/17, Dietician 5/24/17, Internist 6/13/17 Consent 7/10/17 Surgery 9/29/2017

HW 4/17: 267 Opti Start 9/16/17: 254 Surgery 9/29: 240.8 M1:-18 M2:-14 M3:-9 M4:-5 M5:-6

jbranch65
on 11/21/17 3:45 am
RNY on 09/29/17

I am a meat eater...lol! I try to eat and some days I don't feel like eating especially 5-6 times a day. Thanks for the suggestions!

dorothy1110
on 11/21/17 5:27 am
RNY on 09/06/17

I some times have problems at 11 weeks out. I like Premier Protein Shakes. Try different protein drinks. I find it easier to drink a shake then eating sometimes. I know I should be eating more food, but I have difficulties with certain foods. Ask your Nutritionist if they have samples. Syntrax Nectar is popular. Tons of different flavors. I like there Fuzzy Navel. I mix it with water that I put a peach mango zero calorie drink mix in with it. I use my bullet to mix it with ice also. If you can get samples thats good. I bought a 2 pound container of protein and hate the taste. Vitamin shoppe has small packets for around $2.00 of Nectar and other protein Shakes. They also sell Isopure protein drink 20 oz. bottle has 40 grams protein. It cost around $4.00. I did not like the one I tried but you may like it I don't know. One day at a time is what I say. Good Luck

sweetpotato1959
on 11/20/17 8:25 pm

jbranch65,

Just after having surgery( i had a different one than being done today) my pouch size was extremely small. It took about 8 weeks to get the edema out of my pouch and thereby enlarge my pouch size to about 2 oz. Like you I had an extremely hard time getting in protein and fluid on the same days... I had strict guidelines.. 90 gram on protein and minimum of 40 ounces is really hard at first.. tho not ideal i would center on protein one day and fluids the next, getting as close to goal on both as possible....I counted both protein and fluid intake without fail until getting both in became child's play.

This is a struggle many people go thru. You are not alone!

Be sure to check your self for other symptoms., that may be affecting your appetite.. ie are you having too much gas? are you gulping air when you swallow? do you have edema in your intestine?..

My surgery was 23 years ago and there are still days i don't want much to eat..and eat light and cold. Those are days i drink a lot of ice water, eat scrambled eggs for breakfast/brunch, and sometimes for supper...and may not get my total proteins in, but the next day I usually don't have trouble eating and appetite has returned...(For me this is part of my gastric irritations that are predominant in my entire family.I have use prevacid, charcoal, and mylecon all with success.)

Since the volume that can be eaten at one time is so small, food fatigue is a real issue., as you adjust to new foods- make this a time to treat yourself to some of the more expensive cuts of meat that you like...

. One of the easiest things i did to get my protein in on difficult days was to put my protein supplement in sugar free hot cocoa. I would mix a half cup at a time... so it would be warm for a good part of actually getting it down..warm fluids go down better than anything else..That way I could get part of fluids in and protein at same time. I had a hard time with meats, chicken was one of the hardest... for me to digest..it took several months for me to be able to eat it easily. I found i was getting hidden fat in some of the peices..the thigh was easiest for me, and i had to pick it apart, to make sure it had no hidden pockets fo fat. The best meat to eat is something you think will taste good..just make sure it has no pockets of fat and you chew it extremely well. I would dice mine and mash with a fork, that kept me busy while chewing a bite, slowed me down. Soft scrambled eggs/omlet might be a good choice as well.

jbranch65
on 11/21/17 3:53 am
RNY on 09/29/17

Well it's good to know that this is not an uncommon issue. I think I will try to do what you had done concentrate on more liquid in take in one day and protien intake on another until I can handle both together. I do have unflavored protien but always forget to add it to some of my low to no protien meals.

Thanks for the advice.

NYMom222
on 11/20/17 9:20 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had to kiss a lot of frogs when it came to protein shakes before I could find ones I tolerated and liked.

Are you trying 100% whey isolate ... if you have become lactose intolerant that could make a difference, as well as mixing it with lactose free milk or something like cashew milk. Some people do become lactose intolerant after surgery. Coffee flavored ones like Chike and fit Frappe got me through.

5-6 meal/snacks a day that are protein forward with minimum 10g protein each will easily get you to your goal of 60-80g

example:

coffee latte with one cup Fairlife milk = 13g

one egg+ slice of cheese = 12g

2oz chicken = 14g

1/2 c cottage cheese = 14g

one turkey cheese roll up (cold cuts) = 10g

greek yogurt cup = 12g

total for day= 76g protein

For me, early out I had to think about my protein and fluids that mathematically....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

jbranch65
on 11/21/17 3:58 am
RNY on 09/29/17

I did find one protien shakes mix I liked pre surgery. That doesn't seem to cut it post surgery. I've tried it with fat free milk, coconu****er and even tap water and it still turns my stomach. It is a protien isolate being that I am lactose intolerant. I just haven't done any more research to find another protien shake.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 494 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 347 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 398 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 105 views