Changing Gods Handiwork.

Karen63
on 2/5/18 4:03 pm, edited 2/5/18 8:16 am

Who said I wasn?t worried about that? I am. That?s why I?m considering surgery because I?m obese and my health is failing.

i came here for support not to be Ridiculed

hollykim
on 2/5/18 4:13 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 6, 2018 at 12:03 AM Pacific Time, Karen63 wrote:

Who said I wasn?t worried about that? I am. That?s why I?m considering surgery because I?m obese and my health is failing.

i cane here for support not to be Ridiculed

I am not ridiculing you. I am asking an honest question.

You said you were worried about altering the organ God gave you but you didn't say you were worried about overeating to the point of ruining that same organ.

I am just asking why you are worried about one and not the other.

Karen63
on 2/5/18 4:14 pm
Writergurl08
on 2/5/18 4:23 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

Nobody is ridiculing you here, merely trying to understand why it's a dilemma to you by playing devils advocate and asking these questions that you should be asking in order to come to peace with your decision (whatever that may end up being.)

the fact is, most people here DID make the decision to have surgery and most of those people believe it's the best thing they could have done for themselves to live life to the fullest. I'm not religious, but wouldn't God want you to be able to experience everything his world has to offer?

you seem to be attacking the people who are posing these questions to you, but what answers were you hoping to get? Maybe that IS your answer.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Librarian67
on 2/5/18 5:00 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

You are asking the wrong questions in the wrong place to get the answers you want. If you want a religious answer go to church. If you want to know about gastric bypass surgery and how to be successful, participate in OHs forums. I doubt that you will get the answers you want here.

Julielives
on 2/5/18 5:29 pm
RNY on 03/08/18

I totally understand your question. I have taken a very interesting course and have come to fully see obesity as genuine chronic illness, not a lack of will power. This surgery is no different than a lifesaving heart bypass.

kitmouse
on 2/5/18 6:28 pm
RNY on 07/27/17

Karen--

I've read everyone's comments and I've read your replies. I am struck by this thought:

(You are more than welcome to correct me if I'm wrong!! This is just what I'm seeing.)

It seems like you are approaching the question/reality of obesity as a moral failing. A character flaw, if you will. Gluttony is one of the 7 deadly sins, after all. Possibly what you're fighting with is the idea of modifying your physical body, which I accept you believe god created, to absolve you of the sin of overeating.

So back up a bit there. What most of us here have come to realize and accept is that our bodies are not moral judgments. We don't have to remain obese as a penance for our sins. We haven't been shackled with this very visible burden because we have something morally wrong with us. OBESITY IS NOT A SIN. Overeating and obesity are the result of various neurological, biological, chemical, hormonal, and genetic conditions and predispositions. Whatever you may believe on a spiritual level, you exist in a tangible human body. That tangible human body is flawed. Some people got a pancreas that doesn't produce insulin. They have diabetes, and have to take medication and manage their eating for that. Some people have celiac disease. They take medication, and have to manage their eating for that. Some people have had their gallbladders fail, and had to have them removed. My brother's appendix burst, and he was in the hospital for 4 days. Would he had done better to think of it as a moral failing on his part, and let it kill him so as not to "modify" his body as it was created? You can see the absurdity of the question.

Obesity is a disease. It is not a moral judgment. You can be a good person, a good Christian, a believer in the sanctity of god's world, and still care for the disease you unfortunately have. Having this surgery does not change anything about your values and your morals. They're two entirely separate issues.

Karen63
on 2/6/18 4:12 am
kitmouse
on 2/6/18 5:37 am
RNY on 07/27/17

I don't either. I was referring to letting my brother's appendix kill him, as the absurd question.

Karen63
on 2/6/18 5:56 am
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics