Not in reality!

LindyLin
on 6/15/18 1:50 pm, edited 6/15/18 1:52 pm

Hey gang!

I am scheduled for a lapo RNY on July 10.

I?ve been researching this surgery for over a year, meeting with the surgeon and nutritionist for 8 months, and now I suddenly realize I am in total denial about how this will change my life. Or more specifically, I'm not even thinking about it.

I start seeing a therapist Monday, so I will definitely bring this up. Just wondered if anyone had a similar experience before their surgery. It's like I was one person leading up to all this, and now I'm suddenly my old self who can't imagine life without popsicles at night or looking forward to a big brunch or a pizza at the end of a rough week.

I need a way to bring myself into reality so I can mentally prepare. I want to be back to the mental state where I've been for the past year, which faded away the minute I got a surgery date.

I start the pre-op diet Wednesday.

Just thought I'd reach out since people on here seem to have such great perspectives about the mental side of this surgery! :)

mirandaF
on 6/15/18 4:07 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

The whole thing though is meant to mess with our reality. We all got here due to overeating, eating to much of the wrong things, using food as a means of comfort, always snacking.. the list goes on and on. What your going through is actually pretty normal in my book. I went through it, and through out this forum, many others have as well.

Your finally at the moment of truth, and every bad habit you have, every comfort in food you got is now screaming at your brain to stop and go back to what your comfortable with. What is normal for you and that it wants to feel safe again.

But you can do this, even though the first few days/weeks can be the hardest. You will ask yourself, what in the heck did you do to yourself. You will have food funerals, you will look at food you used to love and curse what you did. But if you keep going, if you push yourself past all that doubt, you will become what you always wanted and why you started down this path to begin with.

Definitely keep talking to your therapist, that is what they are there for. But don't feel guilty for feeling the way you do. Just don't let the fearful side win. 6 months from now you will look back and go.. what was I afraid of? You got this though! and ya, this surgery is definitely one that pulls at the mental side of things in so many ways.

LindyLin
on 6/15/18 4:08 pm

Oof this was just what I needed to read. Thank you!

mirandaF
on 6/15/18 8:01 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

NP, I know how you feel and very much felt the same way. You can do this though! We believe in you and I know you believe in yourself. You got this!

sweetpotato1959
on 6/15/18 9:25 pm

Pretty much normal.., Tho there are some who are perfect and will argue they did not experience it- so therefore,..it's not at all. I did not have the benefit of therapy,when my surgery was done decades ago., There is definitely more improvements needed along mental preparedness for all the changes you have and will experience.

Think about it from this perspective, you have been focused on getting ready,obtaining approvals and setting up and going to various appointments...ie jumping thru the hoops.

As long as someone can tell you -No, many tend to say within themselves..I'm afraid to hope- this event will happen. . I don't want to count on it. When the surgery date is set and the pre-surgical diet begins, the impact becomes real..the grieving for the old self begins as you prepare for your new You.

While you are considering the changes you will be experiencing be sure to include positive ones like...bending to touch your toes without bouncing, walking in the park to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine...shopping for new shoes because the old ones no longer stay on your feet...getting fit for new undergarments..to find a correct size. Shopping in the clothes sized for the common consumer. Seeing someone you have not seen in a while, and they don't know you until you speak.

LindyLin
on 6/16/18 1:02 am

So true. Thank you!

NYMom222
on 6/16/18 7:51 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I think that is why I was scared going in... 'the great unknown' on the other side.

Right now you are just thinking about what you are losing... not what you will be gaining by losing the weight. That's not a reality. Most of us are here after so many weight loss failures it is hard to imagine being successful. I couldn't have imagined living the life I have now. Not that the outside stuff is perfect....But the feeling free in my body, not having to worry about what I can and can't do.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views