Recent Posts

Patty D.
on 1/11/05 9:56 pm - St James, NY
Topic: RE: Marathon Girl
wtg Jerry, I think sports drink (gatorade) is more toxic for rny patients than the band, infact they give it to lap banders the first couple weeks. Lately my motivation has tanked for exersize and diet. I am struggling with the band, it's not as limiting as rny. I have been traveling for work and have gotten a bit more motivated with warmer climates. Training in the cold weather is hard for me. What is your next race?
jerry N.
on 1/5/05 10:48 am - floresville, TX
Hi, Yes I have completed 2 marathons and 2 ultras since surgery a 31 miler and a 50 miler. Just drank lots of water and stayed away from mixed sports drinks. Good luck.
Lance G
on 12/25/04 2:54 am - Palos Verdes, CA
--- HIJACK --- Hi Rachle: Small world seeing your 4 month old posting on this board. I did not know you had run a few marathons. Like yourself, I have completed 2 full marathons and more half marathons than I care to count. I'm trying my best to get back into shape but it is not going well. With my continued health problems from WLS, I just don't know what I will be able to do in the future if I can't eat enough food, nor eat during long runs. For example, I ran 12 miles the day before yeaterday after having eaten only 240 cal's all day. I just could not complete my planned run of 20 miles. I killed me to stop and call my wife to come pick me up as I did not have the strength to even walk the remaining 8 miles home. I can't believe I am even thinking of it -- but I am now considering trying to do a 50 mile marathon. But I can't even really give it further consideration until I get this eating (or lack of the same) problem resolved. Scoot B just ran the HI marathon but I have nott spoken with him since he completed the event. I know he finished, but do you know how he felt or what damage he might have done running a marathon where continued energy intake is so important? Anyway, have you done any distance sunning since your WLS? Good to see you hear and on the CA board. In Health, Lance
Lance G
on 12/24/04 7:57 am - Palos Verdes, CA
--- HIJACK --- Hi Rachle: Small world seeing your 4 month old posting on this board. I did not know you had run a few marathons. Like yourself, I have completed 2 full marathons and more half marathons than I care to count. I'm trying my best to get back into shape but it is not going well. With my continued health problems from WLS, I just don't know what I will be able to do in the future if I can't eat enough food, nor eat during long runs. For example, I ran 12 miles the day before yeaterday after having eaten only 240 cal's all day. I just could not complete my planned run of 20 miles. I killed me to stop and call my wife to come pick me up as I did not have the strength to even walk the remaining 8 miles home. I can't believe I am even thinking of it -- but I am now considering trying to do a 50 mile marathon. But I can't even really give it further consideration until I get this eating (or lack of the same) problem resolved. Scoot B just ran the HI marathon but I have nott spoken with him since he completed the event. I know he finished, but do you know how he felt or what damage he might have done running a marathon where continued energy intake is so important? Anyway, have you done any distance sunning since your WLS? Good to see you hear and on the CA board. In Health, Lance
Lance G
on 12/24/04 7:45 am - Palos Verdes, CA
Hi Patty -- Small world, I ran the 2000 US Marine Corps Marathon as well. I thought is was very well organized and would love to give it a go sometime in the future. However, last night I read a book on ultrarunning, i.e., 50 and 100 miles events. While my heart tells me to go for it -- I just don't think I have the energy to do long distances any longer. I ran 12 miles the day befor yeaterday afterhaving eaten on 240 cal's all day. I just could not complete my planned run of 20 miles. Anyway, have you done any distance sunning since your WLS? In Health, Lance
Linn D.
on 12/14/04 8:51 am - Missoula, MT
Topic: RE: Light Jogging at "Curves"
Hi Peg, I didn't really start much jogging until I was about 185#. I started on a walk to jog program someone found in Prevention magazine in May, ran a 10K in under an hour this past October, and am planning on a half marathon in January. I'm hoping to be able to run the whole way and finish in about 2.5 hours. We'll see what actually happens, but there's always hope. Hang in there. It gets easier the more you do it. Linn 241/147/130?
Pegtrala
on 11/29/04 11:47 am - Beaverton, OR
Topic: Light Jogging at "Curves"
If anyone had told me 7 months ago that I would be doing some light jogging, I would have told them they were crazy, but that's what I'm starting to do at Curves! For those of you who have never been to Curves, you exercise on one machine for 30 seconds, then move to a platform where you stand/walk/jog for 30 seconds, then move to the next machine for another 30 seconds, then to another platform, et****il you complete the circuit. You repeat the circuit 2 more times. Before my surgery and 60 lbs heavier, I barely moved on the platform so that I could keep my heartbeat DOWN within the guidelines for my age... 55. I NOW have to do some light jogging to get my heartbeat UP to where it needs to be! It's like a miracle! I am so happy! I am also mall walking a couple of times a week with a walking partner. We want to get in shape for the "Race for the Cure" next September. I wonder just how much better shape I can be in by then. It has been years since I have been able to do the things I can now do. Sure would like to hear how you are doing. Peg 281/220/155?
Mariposa
on 11/14/04 9:02 pm - Janesville, WI
Topic: RE: Running & Jogging Message board ROLL CALL!
Hi Patty- I was going to post a new thread, but I don't know how often people check the running message board. I have just started running and I have registered for a 5k that will be held in May. What I am doing is running in little bits during my regular 3.5 mile walk. I don't have good shoes yet- so there is my first question- can you give me some advice on buying some shoes- I am very broke (single parent going to college, one kid going to private college, unable to find a job...), but I need the shoes. Is there a way to find less expensive, but good quality shoes? The other question I have is on technique- I have a friend who runs marathons (3 a year) and it just comes naturally for him, so he was at a loss when I asked him this question. I really need help in this area- what is the best way to move the foot as I step? Is it better to take shorter or longer strides? Is there a way to protect my lower back and knees from injury? I know you may not have the answers, but even if you can point me in the right direction, that would be wonderful. Thank you very much!!! Donna
tammym
on 10/3/04 2:07 pm - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12
Hi Patty! I'm thinking about just wearing a thin plastic poncho over my running gear, but when it gets too cold I'm sure I'll wear a jacket or something. I love that cool max stuff! I got some thorlo socks for the race and I really like them. I'm still not running much, only managed to run about half the five mile race. But I injured my knee the day before, so I am pretty satisfied with just finishing. It's still VERY swollen and purple, but I have 53 weeks to go until the marathon, plenty of time to heal. there aren't too many sunny runs here! It's pretty wet most of the time, but still beautiful! Tammy
Patty D.
on 9/30/04 2:10 pm - St James, NY
hi there! I check the running board from time to time but it does seem to be a bit sparse. As far as running in the rain, I would choose your clothes based on the temperature. Ofcourse a jacket (waterproof) and a layer of cool max under, so it breathes and you don't overheat. Better to be a bit cool than to overheat. As far as blisters go, a sure remedy is to wear a good sock, I prefer Thorlo med weight, and you can apply a thin layer of vaseline to your soles as well. I am back running approx, 15 miles a week, and power walking alternate days. It's a long journey but I keep reminding myself of the rewards of being in shape. I have my sights on the More Marathon in NYC in March. It's a marathon for women over 40. It will be my 3rd marathon but my first post wls. When I get frustrated because I am slow as sludge or I remember what it was like before when I was in half way decent shape, I keep thinking of how lucky I am to be out there, and how many people never even attempt to follow their fitness dreams. Running is a great way to connect to life and appreciate your body, no matter what the size. I wish you some nice long sunny runs!! Be well Patty
Most Active
Recent Topics