Recent Posts

Rachelq
on 8/10/04 12:34 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Topic: RE: starting to jog????
Hi Sue! Congrats on your weightloss. I've run a few marathons and suffer from shin splits. Here are my suggestions (but of course I'm not a doc or pro runner by any means): 1) Get a really good pair of running shoes. This is not a place to skimp. Find a running store in your area and have your shoes fitted. Find out the mileage your shoes should get. Running shoes have a shorter life span than most people expect. 2) stretch your shins before and after. I stand on toes and lift toes alternately 100 times before running. 3) run on soft surfaces. Black top has more give than a concrete sidewalk. Sand is great. Grass (but can be a tripping hazard). Is there a track you can run on? 4) work on your running form. Don't run on the balls of your feet, use your whole foot. You should hear your foot slap when you run. There are several running books out there to help you with that. 5) See if there are running clubs in your area (a fitness/running store is a good place to ask, or check the internet). Having people to run with and give advice is a good, fun way to go with running. Thats my two cents! Good luck on your new endeavor! Rachel
Sue G.
on 8/9/04 2:39 am - Ulster, pa
Topic: starting to jog????
Hi everybody on the running forum!! I never thought in a million years I would be asking this question; I had surgery in Jan lost around 85lbs so far, I am 5ft tall and weigh about 135). I walk everyday about 2 miles and throught about starting to jog!! I had shin spilts years ago and they still brother me walking down hills. Is there anything I would need to know? before I start????Thanks.......SUE
Christian A.
on 7/18/04 4:27 am - Keizer, OR
Topic: RE: Marathon Girl
Congrats to you! I have just started running a little bit; but have done a 56 mile bike ride 9 months after surgery. You need to make sure you are completely hydrated.
Patty D.
on 7/12/04 2:06 pm - St James, NY
Topic: Marathon Girl
Hello everyone, I had lap band on July 6th and I found the lap band board but just discovered the running area. I was a serious runner before gaining quite a bit of weight. I have run 2 marathons (quite slow) and I was about 180lbs at the time. I definitely want to get back to running once my weight has come down some. Now I am power walking to keep aerobic conditioning up. I have around 90lbs to go before I am at a goal, but plan on getting back to running as soon as I get below 200. Has anyone done any endurance events after wls, I am very interested.
hotsun
on 6/29/04 4:38 am - New Britain, CT
RNY on 10/06/03 with
Topic: RE: Anyone Else Out There?
Hi everyone! I'm so happy to see people posting here!! I had open rny 10/6/03 and have since lost 134 pounds...and my new addictions are shopping and exercise. I started kickboxing a month ago and I love it. I have always had an obession with running, although I have always been too big to run. I have dreams where I'm like Forest Gump...running, never tiring. Not being chased, or doing the chasing, just running free. So, with that being said, I love the idea of supporting each other, maybe starting a long-distance running club (whatever that may be). To those of you in training for a marathon - you're my inspiration! -Deb
(deactivated member)
on 6/28/04 4:36 am - chicago, IL
Topic: RE: Trying it out!
Good luck everyone! Ive been thinking about trying to start jogging after surgery, and had no clue how to start. Thanks all for the tips!
Christian A.
on 6/14/04 12:04 am - Keizer, OR
No we cannot start with marathons by any means! I did jog twice last week and was able to the jog for 1 min. and walk for another 2 mins. both times. The first time was for about 25 minutes total and the second time was for probibly just over a half an hour. I find that this is very difficult, so I am going to keep it up. I had been riding my bike (which I will still continue to do) for 1-2 hours and was pretty tired, but this jogging thing really gets to me quicker! I am sorry about your injury (re-injury) and that it will keep you "out of commission" for a while. But, you are right, it should be better running weather in the fall! Keep up the great work! -Chris
TeddysDeb
on 6/11/04 5:27 am - Chicago Area, IL
Topic: RE: Anyone Else Out There?
Hi Tammy! I honestly didn't find it too hard to get back to exercising after surgery, mostly because I have an activity that I love. I was back riding my horse as soon as my surgeon would let me. Then, as the weight began to come off, I began to really enjoy all kinds of physical activity. I started running at about 3 months post-op, and was shocked at how easily my body accepted it. It was almost like being a kid again, when my body would do what I told it without all the drama. I was becomming addicted when my knee acted up. Hopefully my summer of PT and the eliptical trainer will get me back in running shape soon. Good luck with your surgery. I'll be thinking of you, and keep you in my prayers. Hopefully you will be right here running with us soon! Deb
TeddysDeb
on 6/11/04 5:17 am - Chicago Area, IL
Chris! Can't start with marathons, can we? I'm sure that your weight loss will start again soon. Good luck with the running. I was finding it addictive until I had to stop a couple of weeks ago. As I increased my running (was up to 3 min of run/1 min walk), I started to get some bad knee pain. I've since found out that I have an old ACL injury (like 20 years old), that healed, but left the joint loose. So I'm getting arthritis in my left knee. I've moved to an eliptical trainer for the next several months, but will need some pretty intense PT to strengthen the knee before I can get back running. Fortunately, surgery doesn't seem to be necessary. Doc also told me to take glucosamine and chondroitin, which seems to be helping. Looks like my goal of running a 5k will have to wait until fall. Better running weather then anyway. Wishing you continued weight loss and good luck with your running, Deb
Christian A.
on 6/10/04 12:20 am - Keizer, OR
Topic: Trying it out!
I went out yesterday and attempted what Deb the Horse Lady has begun to do. I jogged for 1 min and then walked for 2 mins. I was able to keep it up for only about 25 minutes, but I plan on going out and doing it again today. This with my bike riding and karate will hopefully restart my weight loss...I have been on a plateau for about a month now and I am getting close to my 1 year anniv. from surgery and want to lose more by then. Wish me luck if anyone reads this! -Chris
Most Active
Recent Topics