Recent Posts

Richard S.
on 2/2/06 11:17 pm - Forsyth, IL
Topic: Newcomer to this board
Greetings all. Just added this board to my list of interests. I used to run a few 10K's back about 25 years ago and quit running all together about 15 years back. Now I want to try it again after getting rid of 100+ pounds. My goal is to run a 5K under 30 minutes. My first is April 8 - less than 10 weeks away. Sounds daunting to me but I have been working out since September with a weight trainer and walking on a treadmill. So far I am walking/jogging 3 miles in 45 minutes at a 2% slope. Have a great day. Rich
(deactivated member)
on 1/22/06 12:21 am - Las Vegas, NV
Topic: RE: Question about WLS and Running?
I had RNY, so take this for what it is. While some pain is common, it is never 'normal'. I don't know which side the port is put on, but if this is the side with the port, perhaps there is a stitch pulling? Since you've run before, you know you get a "feeling" about pains, which ones require stopping, which ones you can "run through". Of course, this sense is not fool proof. I would touch base with your Doc. Good Luck Tek
(deactivated member)
on 1/20/06 6:53 am
Topic: Question about WLS and Running?
hi, I had Lap band surgery on Oct. 31, 2005.... I just wanted to know if you what you all thing about starting to run now? I started running this week and feels some left side pain when I worked out..... its not the side pain like a side ache you get when i use to run (i use to be a runner before all the weight). Is that normal when you first start out again to feel this pain? Anyone with lap band run a lot now? Please tell me your experience with WLS and starting to run. Its so great to see you all are able to do such a wonderful thing. God bless. Legan
Brendon M.
on 1/6/06 9:16 am - Rehoboth Beach, DE
Topic: Hello Everyone
Hello everyone. My name is Brendon. I didn't even know this board existed but I sure am glad I found it. I had surgery on 08/10/2004. The morning of surgery I weighed 353lbs. I am down about 180lbs. I have been running for a little over a year. I run about 20 miles per week and lift weights 2 or 3 days a week. I love running. It took awhile, but it has finally gotten past the point of just exercise. I actually enjoy doing it. The only problem I have is I think I am still stuck in weight loss mode. I probably average 1500 cal a day at most which I know is not enough for the amount of exercise I do. I get head rushes quite often when I stand up too quickly and it feels like my blood sugar drops sometimes. Its hard to make myself eat more when for the past year and a half I have been trying to eat less and lose weight. I am scared to death of putting weight back on and going back to the old me. And that is Not going to happen. When we originally had weight loss surgery the Drs. put you on a pretty regimented eating plan. Protein and vegtables first. Fruit and carbs last. I don't think they plan on weight loss surgery patients taking exercise to the level of distance running. How has everyone diets changed since you have taken up running? What kind of foods do you eat? How many calories a day do you eat and maintain weight? And how have the amounts of food you eat changed? Since I started running I feel like I am hungry all the time. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give. I hope to make this board a frequent stop. Brendon
BigGirlSlim
on 12/31/05 10:57 am - Jersey City, NJ
Topic: RE: Before I totally stumble I need friends and email buddies!!!!!!!
Hi Donna, My name is Christina and I would like to be your email buddy. My surgery is scheduled for January 4, 2006. I want to say congradulations on your 111lb weight loss. That is a lot of weight and you should feel good about yourself because you worked hard to lose it. I know that you at a point that you feel like you can't continue but you can. You have come this far. You have the ObesityHelp.com community backing you up. I would like to be your friend. We can get through our journey together. Let me know what you think. christina
DonnaG
on 12/20/05 3:58 am - evansville, IN
Topic: Before I totally stumble I need friends and email buddies!!!!!!!
Hey all. I had my surgery on 09/16/04 and have somewhat lost my way. I have lost a total of 111 lbs. No minor feat however, I have at least 40 more to go. Honestly, I need friends who have experienced this before. I am losing my way and I don't want to do that. I stopped taking my vitamins and exercising and I feel like crap. I must get back into my routine. Can anyone support me and I will support them. I would like to have some email buddies that will check in with me a few times a week and I can do that same for them. Just to keep ourselves responsible for what we are or not doing. If interested please email me Thanks
DonnaG
on 12/20/05 3:56 am - evansville, IN
Topic: RE: Anyone Else Out There?
Hey all. I had my surgery on 09/16/04 and have somewhat lost my way. I have lost a total of 111 lbs. No minor feat however, I have at least 40 more to go. Honestly, I need friends who have experienced this before. I am losing my way and I don't want to do that. I stopped taking my vitamins and exercising and I feel like crap. I must get back into my routine. Can anyone support me and I will support them. I would like to have some email buddies that will check in with me a few times a week and I can do that same for them. Just to keep ourselves responsible for what we are or not doing. Thanks
PattyL
on 11/7/05 5:32 pm
Topic: RE: Update
Glad to hear you are recovering. I have followed your progress from the beginning. I know you really enjoyed running. Maybe your surgeon could set you up with an exercise physiologist? Come up with what you CAN safely do?
PattyL
on 11/3/05 11:06 am
Topic: RE: Question for Runners
Thanks! I will check that out too. I have never done any real monitoring at all. I won't be making 50 this week. They are predicting rain and snow. Yuck!
ncarter11
on 11/3/05 12:06 am - Edmonds, WA
Topic: RE: Question for Runners
Good on you for taking up running especially when it's not something you love! 50 miles just amazes me. WOW! I am no where near that but would love to boast of it! You inspire me. Tek always gives such good advice and speaks from experience - I have little to offer beyond what he has said. But I do have this... I train with a heart rate monitor. This helps me understand and see more of what is going on in my body than what I can detect otherwise. Before a run (especially a long run) I take my Delta (or Orthostatic) heart rate. I have been surprised at what an accurate indication of how I should train this number is. More often than not when my Delta is high I find that my heart rate zooms higher faster, it is more difficult to run at my normal pace, my endurance is reduced, or aches and pains rear faster. There have been days when my Delta was high (indicating that I should take it easy) but I *felt* fine. That's not usually the case, tho, more often than not my Delta is confirmation of how I feel. Once, when my Delta was ridiculously high (and I felt fine), I ran my long run anyway and planned to adjust my pace to stay in my normal HR zone. It wasn't just my run that turned out to be most difficult, it was the remainder of my day and recovery that was really hard. I ended up starting my period during my run, 5 days early. I had no way of expecting that but my Delta (27) told me something big was up. I think my training goals and the rest of my day would have been better served had I chose a distance, pace, HR zone, etc based on my Delta instead of how I felt. My HRM helps me 'see' what is going on. Many experts say that training according to your delta will help prevent injury and keep one from overtraining. My coach reminds me that if I am going to do this when I am old, I must prevent injury today. Being reminded of the looooong term helps me to be more mindful and make better choices today. I need to be reigned in like that. Those HRM numbers tell me a lot. They help know when it's just in my head or really my body. I am just beginning to understand. There's a lot of information out there. Here's a link explaining the Delta. http://www.azzitraining.com/calculators/DeltaHeartRate.aspx Blessings! Nancy
Most Active
Recent Topics