really need advice.

tanieanie
on 4/22/11 1:52 pm - WI

Hello all,   I am now 4 days out from being sleeved and having some issues I could use advice on.
1. I am soooo bloated that it hurts to take a deep breath.   I have tried 2 gas ex strips at one time and really not much help.
2.  Im really sore and cant seem take tylenol.   I took one and it felt stuck.   Can I crush them? I also have the adult liqued tylenol but it has high fructose corn syrup?  Can I take that?
3. Nothing to drink tastes right..... jus****er and carnation instant breakfast?  Is this norm

How long does all this last???   Please any and all advice??

May D.
on 4/22/11 2:02 pm, edited 4/22/11 2:03 pm
 For the bloating, sip water and walk.  The more you walk, the more the gas gets displaced and has to come out.

You can crush tylenol. I had to crush all my pills and take chewable vitamins and calcium for a month after surgery.  

Can't help you with number 3.  While some people experience it, I've never had a problem with any food or drink tasting off.  I will say that by drinking Carnation, you're not getting enough protein. I think that only has 10 grams per serving?  I may be wrong but I remember not buying it because of the low protein.  There are some really good protein powders or ready made drinks that are 15 grams of protein and more.  Some of the other members can help you with that.  

I use Nectar protein powder in vanilla and in chocolate, it's 23 grams of protein and I buy it at the Vitamin Shoppe or you can get it online cheaper.  
Good Luck!

loolootoo
on 4/22/11 2:03 pm
personally, i'd recommend you call your dr's afterhours number and present these questions to them. going into the weekend bloated so much and so uncomfortable, get some professional advice sooner rather than later.  especially at 4 days out...your dr needs to know.

as for the pain...did your dr prescribe some pain pills? if so, i'd sure take them....and if not, call for a prescription!

for me, nothing tasted right for a while......at four days i was pretty much on water and tiny swallows of protein shake.....just sips!

Cheryl S.
on 4/22/11 2:05 pm - Montpelier, VA
Oh boy, do I remember the early days!  I'm 6 weeks out and promise you, IT WILL GET BETTER!!
1.  Do you have the drain tube (jackson pratt)?  If you do, that is probably the pain you are feeling.  I absolutely hated that thing and felt like a new person when it came out (1 week after surgery).  If not, it could still be the gas from the surgery. . walk, walk, walk!!
2.  Cut the tylenol in half or even in thirds if you need to.  I'm not sure about the liquid, but I think the corn syrup might not be good, so go with the smaller pieces of tylenol.
3.  It was 3 weeks before I could get my fluids in because nothing tasted normal!  I got addicted to sugar free popsicles because they were yummy!

I'm very excited for you, this is a great thing we have done (even with its ups and downs).  Keep your chin up and drink, drink, drink!  Best wishes!

Mr Mom
on 4/22/11 2:07 pm, edited 4/22/11 2:10 pm
Congrats' on your new sleeve!
- If you are just 4 days post-op you should not be taking Tylenol tablets, or any other tablets at all unless the surgeon told you to. Your Dr should have prescribed you some liquid pain medicine to take. Call Him/Her.

- The taste of things will change as time goes on. Some things you used to like may never appeal to you again, and other things will just taste too strong & need to be diluted.

- Carnation Instant isn't a protein drink is it (should be drinking stuff with at least 20 grams of protien & less than 200 calories)? If you take in too many carbs right now you be become very bloated and uncomfortable.

You are in the post-op liquid phase. Small amounts of protein drinks, broth, jello, sugar free ice pops, until about 10-14 days. Then you can start trying to add soft foods slowly. If you still have access to your post-op nutritional training materials you should really refer back to them.

The best thing to do is contact your Dr, Nutritionist, etc.... Hang in there, it does get easier... Craig

Heaviest:406 | Surgical Weight:366 | Current Weight:290 | Goal Weight:250

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/11 7:34 pm - Germantown, MD
It's not true that she shouldn't be taking pills. The reason for not swallowing pills early out is simply because most people CAN'T. You have to sip your water and it's hard to swallow pills without it getting stuck. I was swallowing pills in the hospital (and so were a whole lot of other people) and was able to swallow pills the size of a tylenol caplet after about a week.

By the way, everybody's post op plans are different. She might have different instructions than you on when she can start adding foods. Just sayin'.
Mr Mom
on 4/23/11 3:49 pm
You missed my point. she is self medicating with Tylenol and my guess is that the Dr would not approve for all the reasons you already outlined.

Yes everyone's post-op classes may be somewhat different but hey all have the same common themes. This is why I encouraged her to refer back to them for guidance or contact the Dr, Nutritionist, etc....  Craig

Heaviest:406 | Surgical Weight:366 | Current Weight:290 | Goal Weight:250

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/11 5:44 am - Germantown, MD
 Most of us were instructed to take tylenol at home as needed :) I know I was because I didn't need the prescription pain killers.
mlssadwn
on 4/22/11 3:46 pm - Red Bluff, CA
  Hey there are welcome to the losers bench :) I hope I can be of some help for ya...
1) I agree that walking is the best for that darn gas! I would take Gas-X strips and chewables and I just said "screw it!" and began walking around my tiny apartment. It helps and it made me feel so much better about myself.

2) My Dr gave me liquid Hydracodone (sp?) which is Vicoden in believe. I took half the required amount every five hrs and felt very little to no pain at all. I would ask if you can have some of that. I also am not sure why the corn syrup would be a problem in the Tylenol...

3) I am super sensitive to sugary things since my surgery so I understand the weird taste thing. I think that goes away however. Right now I would drink water, broth, and a good High Protein shake. At this stage the only things you can do wrong are pushing ur diet before your ready and overworking yourself.

Take it easy, walk a ton, and sip sip sip what you can. Worry about your liquids now and the protein stuff will come in time. Message if you have any questions!

Mel

Height 5'8" Highest Weight - 245 Surgery Weight - 220 Goal Weight - 150-160 Current Weight - 155 

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/11 7:39 pm - Germantown, MD
For the bloating and gas, you should try walking. It helps a lot with it PLUS it prevents blood clots. You should be walking as often as possible. It really will get that gas moving. Gas-x didn't do diddley squat for me, but some people say it helped them. The only thing that helped me was walking but, when in doubt, call your surgeon for advice.

You should be able to cut up the tylenol but read the bottle thoroughly before you crush them (or, when in doubt, as a pharmacist some drugs are really not made to be crushed). Honestly, the amount of high fructose corn syrup in the liquid tylenol isn't even a worry at this point unless you're chugging the stuff. Believe me, the liquid tylenol is so nasty, you won't WANT to chug it. 

Nothing tasting right? Yeah, it varies from person to person but is pretty normal. Carnation instant breakfast isn't the best choice you can make but if it's all you can tolerate, it's better than tolerating nothing. Make sure you keep getting your water in, you don't want to get dehydrated. A quick call to your nutritionist for suggestions may help but on the liquid phase, you should be able to have sugar free jello (unless your surgeon says not but it counts as a liquid for most of our programs), sugar free popcicles (the fruity kind, not the fudgcicles) and things like that. You might find some of those to your tastes, though I really couldn't stand sweet stuff right after surgery. You might try some chicken broth, too. 

Everyone's recovery varies so it's really hard to say how long it lasts. Just hang in there. The first month is really the hardest. After that, it starts getting easier.
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 210 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 295 views