So, I called home from Mexico one day post op--a cautionary tale

SpiceyMom
on 4/30/11 12:04 pm
VSG on 04/28/11 with
My mom was graciously staying with my eight children (ages 6-15), for whom I had cooked up a storm so she wouldn't have to do so. I thought I had it well-organized (and I did!). So, I bravely decided to call home yesterday so the kids could hear that their mom was still alive and well.

[cue the dramatic music]

My mom answered the phone. After taking approximately two minutes to ask after my surgery, she immediately changed the subject to ALL the THINGS she had to buy: butter (had tons but I guess she didn't like the kind), dishwashing detergent (the one I have isn't empty yet), Tabasco sauce (?), and maybe one other non-essential.

She then mentioned that my son's computer hard drive would need to be returned to the manufacturer (because I could take care of that from Mexico?)

Then she asked after my husband. When I said he was tired and sore she suggested that perhaps he could sleep in the hospital bed instead of me that night!

I pretty much lost it at that point! Can you imagine? Thankfully, my sister came down and stayed with my kids the remainder of the time (and empathized with me).

So, my new OH friends, if you travel to Mexico and have most of your stomach removed, please don't call my mom for sympathy. You will be disappointed!!

I will be laughing about this for a loooooooong time!
Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 4/30/11 12:09 pm - New Orleans
LOL, the fact that you're able to laugh about this & not let it derail you says alot about your attitude on life... You're gonna do great on this journey.  Sounds like you know how to just let the negative things slide off.  Keep it up & have a speedy recovery!

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

BriarRose
on 4/30/11 12:12 pm
Waaay too funny ! May I suggest my favorite comment that I perfected for my (now EX) mother in law ? "That's nice"....

It works for everything....
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Waning Woman
on 4/30/11 12:36 pm - TX
"So, my new OH friends, if you travel to Mexico and have most of your stomach removed, please don't call my mom for sympathy. You will be disappointed!!"
Laughing with you not at you. This line is great!
    Follow my journey at http://waningwoman.com/
MediumSoon
on 4/30/11 12:39 pm - TX
That was fabulous. Way to solve the problem in a way that did not affect your recovery!!

michellemj
on 4/30/11 1:08 pm
I love it! Perfect attitude too. You'll handle the first few days/weeks of this surgery just fine. :)

and my mom sounds a lot like yours! There was a reason why she was only told the day before about my surgery. ;)

Happy recovery! Sip sip sip, walk walk walk. And maybe when you call home, see if one of your children can grab the phone first. :)

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Nikki M.
on 4/30/11 2:59 pm
Are we long lost siblings? LOL
I can so relate. Take care and focus on yourself right now! 

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Southernsleever
on 4/30/11 3:13 pm
Oy vey!! 

5'6" Start-276 Goal-150  Weight loss   Preop=5  Month 1=25  Month 2=10  Month 3=14  Month 4=3 Month 5=7  Month 6=9 Month 7=7 Month 8=Month 9=9 Month 10=7 Month 11=5 Month 12=5 Month 13=3 Month 14=4    

SassyItalian
on 4/30/11 6:53 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
I give you so much credit, I would have had a melt down but you handled that sticky situation with grace.

i need some of your poise!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Susan0714
on 4/30/11 10:43 pm - Kenner, LA
That is way to fuuny.. Welcome to my mom's world as well.. I would have been asked how was the surgery, and then that would have been it for me.. I too, would have been asked to let hubby sleep in the bed and not me..

Thanks for sharing.. ANd the comment that BriarRose said about in that situation you just say "that's nice.." That works for me too.. There are times though, that I go on a strike with that comment, and have to speak my  mind..

Good Luck with your recovery.. That BIG WOO HOO to your sister..

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views