Has anyone not had success with the VSG?

sanantoniorose1960
on 5/20/11 8:45 am - Austin, TX
While at the Psychologist's office today (getting my psych eval done), she stated that there have been some who have not had the weight loss success they had hoped for with the VSG and that I should prepared myself for that.
I know this is a tool, but really has anyone out there not had the success they had hoped for with the VSG?
sublimate
on 5/20/11 8:52 am - San Jose, CA
Depends on how you define success. The sleeve has restriction my portions in every way I expected it to. I'm still working daily to continue exercising and making good food choices, but the sleeve has done everything I have expected it to. I don't consider myself a success but I do consider my tool successful, if that makes sense.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 9:39 am
Sublimate, I beg to differ.  I consider you a total success.  I would just like to point to your ticker, which shows a 152 lbs. drop.   You are still working toward your goal, but your success in assured in my book. 
laurak712
on 5/21/11 6:34 am - New Braunfels, TX
Are you crazy woman??...you are a huge success and you will continue to be a huge success. : )

Laura

Height 5' 7

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 9:57 am
 The answer to the question is absolutely.

It won't lose the weight for you. It only restricts how much you eat before you feel full.

So naturally if you eat really crappy food your weight loss will be minimal. You'll lose weight but not what youre hoping for.

If you still don't exercise at all the loss will be slower.

Most folks seem to say take this 6 months especially these first ones. Rock that liquids diet and exercise like crazy. Get as much weight off as possible in the honeymoon phrase.

When you swap to real food again don't go back to those old ones. Make better choices and you have a better chance of sucess.

A lot of girls on here lose 100, 200 pounds then get to their goal. And once at goal eat normal again. Not over-eat, or emotional eat. But just eat to maintain your life. Not diet foods, real foods in moderation. And they seem to keep the weight off. Thats my plan, diet and exercise like I'm doing it to survive. Failure would be the death of me I would be devastated. And once I hit goal weight I am going to spend the rest of my life with one eye on the scale and watching what crap Im putting into my body and how much and how often. To get this surgery is a gift. I am going to use it wisely.
acbbrown
on 5/20/11 11:41 am - Granada Hills, CA
My surgeon told me he has had patients who lose 30 lbs just because of the initial shock, and never lose another lb because they simply eat junk. He explained that some people get thousands of calories from jamba juice, milk shakes, and other really high liquid/slider type foods.

He said short of those behaviors, or serious metabolic issues, making decent choices when it comes to food combined with the tool WILL lead to weight loss. It all comes down to you.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Foxbins
on 5/20/11 12:12 pm
I can tell you, as well as most people on this forum could, that if I stopped making good food choices my weight loss would stop at 45 lbs.  I have been struggling all week with a desire for some dessert (with frosting, and fudge sauce and sprinkles, in a huge dish).  I am not eating that.  It's not in the house and I'm not going to the store to get it.  It's head hunger and I'm kinda bored and I eat when I'm bored.

So I am here, posting, and later I will take a walk, and then go to bed, and another day will have gone by without a couple hundred useless calories being added to my diet.  Once I get to goal, if I want a treat from time to time, I will have it, but not during this losing stage.  I paid too much for my sleeve to mess up my weight loss by self-sabotage. 
Susan M.
on 5/20/11 3:40 pm
 Well said, Foxbins! I needed your pep talk. Six weeks out and doing okay, but I appreciate your advice to make the most of the honeymoon period--the first six months or so.  

The sleeve is not a miracle worker--we have to work the miracles ourselves, with the help of this tool. From what I've read on this forum, most people are having success. But I've heard of people having any type of WLS, including the sleeve, and not changing their old eating habits. Of course, their success will be limited but that is their choice. If you make wise choices, follow your doctor's instructions, and add more activity/exercise to your schedule, you should be successful with the sleeve.

diane S.
on 5/21/11 2:52 am
the fact is, its eating less that makes you lose weight. the surgery just makes it far easier to do that for a sustained period of time. So if you are not mentally prepared to alter your eating for the rest of your life then you might have less success. So I would suggest to your shrink that instead of preparing yourself for the possiblity of failure you should prepare yourself as much as possible for total success by totally accepting your doctor's instructions and recognizing that your food and eating will be changed forever. , If you can get comfortable with this concept, then you should be successful.  Plan for success, not failure.   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views