newbie....your best advice

urmisnshin2
on 5/22/11 5:32 am - TX

Hey all, Ive been watching posts here for a long time, just learning and waiting. I saw the surgeon today and finally it's my turn!.. Surgery scheduled for June 29th, feels a little surreal to be honest. What's your best advice for a newbie here? and any advice on things I might need to "gather up" now that will make my life easier post op. I know it's a month away, but it goes so quickly!!
Thanks !!!

jimbovsg
on 5/22/11 5:42 am
My best short answer........work on changing your mindset...... and the body will follow!   Good luck on surgery!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

BigCaliSmile
on 5/22/11 5:44 am - La Puente, CA
congrads on the date the best advice I can give you is to start walking now and get your body used to it. Walking right after the surgery will contribute highly to your success of being as pain/gas free as possible.
Jan in Cali,  5ft  Sw 224                       
Kristy R.
on 5/22/11 6:15 am - Santa Clara, CA
 Try to increase your activity level, the more active you are the better your recovery will be.  The best thing I think I did for myself is not start the liquid diet cold turkey, ease into it.  Two weeks before my full liquid diet (which also lasted two weeks) I started replacing two meals a day with shakes and eating a healthy dinner.  I snacked on fruits and nuts or cheese if I needed to.  I had NO problems going to full liquids, my tummy was pretty much already adjusted to the smaller intake.  Not everyone wants to do this, and that's fine of course.  But I had no weakness, I was barely hungry, etc.  It really helped a lot.  If you haven't already, stop caffeine, carbonated drinks.  You will save yourself caffeine withdrawals along with your recovery.  Good luck and congrats!!
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

SweetiePea
on 5/22/11 6:17 am - IA
I agree its more a mental adjustment and also start creating new habits that will be beneficial in the end. There are people here will alot of experience that I've learned to take their advice AND of course your doctor.

Trust me...time will fly by.

Congrats!
brownblonde
on 5/22/11 6:18 am
 I found (still find) the most difficult aspect to be water.  I was never a water drinker, and when I did drink water, it was always with meals, and usually in gulps.  I think you'd help yourself immensely if you start a water drinking habit.  After surgery you will not be able to gulp or drink with meals.  For me, this has meant I've had a lot of difficulty getting in fluids and am often dehydrated.

urmisnshin2
on 5/22/11 12:09 pm - TX
Thanks so much for your advice! It is appreciated....
MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 5/23/11 3:56 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with
1.  Ditto to what Jimbo said about the mindset
2.  Stick to the plan that your surgeon/NUT gives you
3.  Never trust a fart!
     Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views