Post VSG menu reading....

BriarRose
on 7/5/11 2:25 am
Before surgery, before weight loss, before.....it was either about what sounded good; how hungry I was, what would not be embarassing to order......

Now, when I dine out, I find myself going carefully over the menu -- senior specials ? (I'm 55, and will they "card" me ?!)  small plates ? appitizer menu ? "diet" plates or light menu ?  Is there something I can get that someone will split with me ? A la carte ?  What will re-heat well ? 

It is a totally different experience !!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
hollykim
on 7/5/11 2:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
yep,ain't it great!
H

George B.
on 7/5/11 2:38 am - Miami, FL
On top of what you posted I also take into consideration if I want to walk around with a doggie bag and will the food keep till after the movie.

It is a different and less costly experience, eating out post-op.

sleevegirl
on 7/5/11 2:44 am - Austin, TX
I had a question about this... I don't have to worry about it for another 4 months but I love steak. I love medium steak. I'm trying to figure out a way to heat it up without making it well done. I'm thinking this is a "yeah right" kind of thing but anyone with a tip?

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

roundater
on 7/5/11 2:58 am - Lincoln, NE
Really feels good and saves money too.
Rich Sonderegger

BriarRose
on 7/5/11 3:02 am
For leftover steak, I order less done than I normally would, eat the "edges" of the steak, take home the more rare center, and re-heat to just warm.  Works great !
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
sleevegirl
on 7/6/11 10:45 am - Austin, TX
Thanks. I asked my husband (the cook in the family) this question and he looked at me like I was crazy and said the same thing... there's a reason he's the cook in the family LOL, didn't even occur to me!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

cattywompos
on 7/5/11 3:06 am
Funny!  I just returned from going out to lunch and I was thinking the same thing as I was sitting in the resturaunt. I know peruse the menu looking for healthy, small options or something that would be nice to take home.  Sometimes I just pick something from the side menu or share an entree with someone, but most of the time I box up the left overs and have it later.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/5/11 3:11 am
 You might try to broil the leftover steak.  I'm not sure how long it would take to heat through but it's likely your best chance of leaving the middle as undone as possible.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

metime
on 7/5/11 3:49 am - chesapeake, VA

you could always cut it up and put it in salad...ymmm  also heat it up with a little FF gravy and throw some LF provalone cheese on top..now Im hungry lol

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views