Dehydration

pbartlett584
on 10/26/11 8:49 am
Hey all,

I was sleeved on 10/19 - 1 week ago. Just wondering what dehydration symptoms are? And what you do about them besides drinking more? When to go get fluids. For the last 2 days I have found it so hard to drink. I know I am not consuming near enough. I am trying but have so much pressure. They upped my Nexium to 2x  per day to try to combat it. But want to nip it in the butt before it gets to bad. Plus I have an infection in my drain site. The doctor says just to watch it for a few days. If I do go to the ER what do I tell them?

Thanks in advance!
Pamela

VSG - Drs. Aceves/Campos Oct/2011

Re-sleeve - Drs. Ungston/Beltran/Campos - March/2015

Sweet_56
on 10/26/11 9:18 am - Saskatchewan, Canada
Symptoms can include: dry mouth, dizzyness, peeing less, dark yellow pee, weakness, muscle cramps...
I crushed ice in my blender with a little bit of juice and found that it was easier to get down... give it a try...
I would just tell them your history that you had the surgery and feel you are not getting enough fluids.. I'm sure they will do some testing...
Feel better
Good Luck!

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers 
My Video Log...  Follow as this Fat Canadian Shrinks!! 
www.youtube.com/user/TheShrinkingCanadian

tristak
on 10/26/11 9:20 am
Couple of suggestions:
1.  Try liquids at various temperatures - room temp vs. cold, vs. warm (peppermint herbal tea is my favorite).
2.  Try to get some electrolyte enhanced water (Smar****er, or Trader Joe's has their own brand) - this will help your body stay hydrated even on minimal fluids
3.  Try diluted apple juice, crystal light, vitamin water zero (another great source of electrolytes), diluted grape juice, etc.

For me symptoms of dehydration are headache, low grade fever, parched, and dark or minimal urine.

The goal is to sip through out the day.  I am big on measuring my fluid intake so if necessary use a bottle with measurements on it and you can always pour that into another glass so you can keep close track of your intake.  64oz is daunting especially at a week out.  Another trick I played on myself - I played alot of the video game "Bejeweled" during recovery and when I would complete a game I would take a few sips.  Others set timers on their phones.

You will get through this...try as best you can. 

5'2"
HW - 310/SW 300/Day of Surgery 293.2/CW - 182.2 (2/26/19), fleur de lys abdominoplasty 2/12/19 - removed 8lbs of skin from abdomen.

acbbrown
on 10/26/11 9:58 am - Granada Hills, CA
I got dizzy, light headed, weak, and BAD muscle cramping in my legs. Once I couldnt walk anymore I decided it was time to go in for fluids. I had been drinking around 35oz/day the first couple days after which was not enough. Once I got re-hydrated though, it was much easier to get the fluids in (less nauseaous and what not)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

slimpickins5280
on 10/26/11 10:56 am - CO
Caffeine free hot tea saved me. I drink it all day long.

Try different temps for the liquids.

I was fine with Crystal Light before the sergury, hate it now.

Try a few things and see what works best.

I hope you feel better soon.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Charlie S.
on 10/26/11 11:26 am
I too suggest trying different temperature liquids.  At first, I had to do room temp only.  Cold or hot liquids hurt my sleeve.  Then after a few days I noticed the temperature sensitivity started to go away slowly over time.

Also, I had trouble with alot of burping after drinking as well as forgetting how much I had drank.  I bought a camelbak bottle that has lines on the side to keep track of your fluids.  And drinking from it keeps you from taking in so much air when you drink which cuts down on the burping.  Might want to give it a try.  Its the only way I drink now!

HW:  429                     SW: 380                Height: 5'08"

jessicae
on 10/26/11 11:31 am
 at a week and a half after surgery i went to the ER becuase i woke up and the room was spinning and my blood pressure was 70/40 by the time I got there.  My surgeon's hosptial is an hour away, I just went to the local one and had them call my surgeon and he told them what tests to run.  They gave me 2 L of fluids and i felt much better.  

was dizzy a few days before and low bp and muscle aches in my calves for 3 days.  

today i started having muscle aches in my calves again and am now pushing the water because i don't want it to get that bad again.  

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

SkinnyJeansSoon
on 10/26/11 11:45 am
I had surgery on 10/20 so very close to your date. I went the entire day today from 8am to 4pm without taking one sip of water because I was sleeping (rough night with pain from surgery). After 4pm I tried to drink every minute but all of the pressure, gas, burps, foamies etc. keeps me from getting in my liquids because it is so uncomfortable. I don't have any advice for you but wanted to let you know I am in the same boat as you and am going to follow your post since I have similar concerns about getting dehydrated. I noticed today my knees tried to buckle when I went down the stairs and that scared me. It also takes all of my energy to walk to the mail box. I hope you feel better sister!

(VSG - 10/20/2011)
HT: 5'9

pbartlett584
on 10/26/11 12:28 pm
Thanks so much for all the support. It is so great to come on here and have people that have been through this and just understand!!! So really - Thank you. I am going to see my Dr. tomorrow just to get checked. I would rather be safe than sorry and end up in the ER...

VSG - Drs. Aceves/Campos Oct/2011

Re-sleeve - Drs. Ungston/Beltran/Campos - March/2015

Mom_Of_Three_Loves
_Life

on 10/26/11 12:42 pm
my dehydration symptom is just intense nausea...and of course, makes me not drink..which makes the nausea worse. 

hope you start feeling better and try drinking powerade zero. thats what my dr's nurse suggested for the first few weeks.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views