What is plication surgery

seanbear66rn
on 1/26/12 3:24 pm - Dracut, MA
VSG on 04/06/12
 I have seen this mentioned 2 x today on the boards. What is it !!!
Sean  

YOU CANNOT GIVE SOMEONE HELP........YOU CAN OFFER HELP,  IT IS UP TO THE OTHER PERSON TO ACCEPT  OR REJECT IT !!!

KathyA999
on 1/26/12 3:31 pm
so this may be an incomplete explanation, and maybe someone else can provide a more technical explanation, but it's essentiallly where they fold the stomach in on itself and suture it together.  Basically creating a sleeve-size stomach, but without cutting.  Some people find it attractive because there's no possibility of a leak when there's no cutting, and supposedly it's reversible.  But there are some serious downsides.  For example, the possibility of polyps, ulcers, or cancer developing in the folds, where it's nearly impossible to diagnose or treat.  The possibility that the folds could grow connected to each other via scar tissue, so there goes the reversibility.  And finally, and maybe the most daunting, the fact that the stomach is still producing ghrelin.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

ruggie
on 1/26/12 4:26 pm - Sacramento, CA
 Great. A sleeve-sized stomach with the appetite of a pre-op. sounds like torture to me. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

tripmom02
on 1/27/12 5:40 am - NJ
 Not only that, but they turn the stomach in on itself, so there is a chance that blood supply can be cut off and gangrene to set it. I would much rather have that sucker just taken out!

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/26/12 10:09 pm
I think you summed it up pretty well!  Sleeve over plication any day in my book!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/12 11:16 pm - CA
It's something you don't want. :)
sleevegirl
on 1/26/12 11:48 pm - Austin, TX
I am NOT a plication fan. In fact, I feel pretty strongly about it for SO many reasons.

Having said THAT the way the surgeon's office explained it was that the hunger hormone still goes away because when you fold the stomach up, you're basically killing it off (they said put it to sleep like when you sit on your leg too long, but let's be real here). So, it cuts off those nerve receptors or whatever and after a week or two, you shouldn't get hunger.

You couldn't pay me enough to do this. Yes, there's a possibility of a leak for the first little while with VSG, but with all the downsides of the plication, no way in bloody hell. Then they are doing the iBand which is plication with a freaking lap-band on it. Yeah, THERE'S a good idea.

Disclaimer: I'm not a surgeon. I don't play one on TV. I'm sure either of these are great choices for some people and I fully support them. Just don't come near me with it.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/12 5:34 am, edited 1/27/12 5:34 am - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
okay yeah so not only is it all plicated to cut off those nerves or whatever, but it also has the chance to cut off blood supply and cause the stomach to go nectrotic.  also leaks can happen if the stomach dies and a hole appears.  i predict it will be a short lived surgery choice
Cindy22706
on 1/27/12 12:24 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
It also has half of 'COMplication' in it!!!

lol.. sounds bad to me too!
seanbear66rn
on 1/27/12 5:19 am - Dracut, MA
VSG on 04/06/12
 THANK YOU !!!
Sean  

YOU CANNOT GIVE SOMEONE HELP........YOU CAN OFFER HELP,  IT IS UP TO THE OTHER PERSON TO ACCEPT  OR REJECT IT !!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views