Talking with PT at gym today, he wasn't happy

ashley J.
on 5/15/12 2:44 pm - CA
VSG on 06/25/12
So, I will start out up front by saying I am SUPER psyched for surgery... i have been waiting what feels like a lifetime to be able to get this tool and put it to use to help me pursue goals.  I am 40 days away from my surgery date. 

Now, on Saturdays morning i started a 'Boot Camp' class at the local gym (its free :)  ) and really enjoyed it.  Then they had you sign up on a sheet if you were interested  in a free personal trainer session.  I was psyched for it figure I could really learn the equiptment that would best help me post-surgery etc...  Well went to Personal training appt today.  I was completely upfront with him about what is happening, the surgery date, the diet changes, everything (he was in COMPLETE shock when I told him about calories intake daily ).  Then he started talking about how unhealthy it is, the FDA recommends losing only 2 pounds a week, we could do it without surgery, etc... of course he wanted me to buy the PT sessions (he said we could do 13 sessions prior to surgery, for a 'deal' at 700$) for the 5 weeks prior to surgery.  I told him no I couldnt afford it, and that I really wanted to just learn the best tools I can use for pre-and post opp for the gym.  He just brought up about buying PT sessions and gave me his number to be able to set up schedule when i was ready.  I can NOT afford this, I did the 'free' session to be able to LEARN equipment, not just have a sales meeting.  felt like it was a waste of 30 minutes i could have been working out with.

So, I guess this whole long spiel comes down to a question and your thoughts on this.  I understand a personal trainer thinking u should not do surgery (he didn't know what it was about... right after i mentioned the surgery, he asked how much weight they were removing, so explained it in a little more depth)...  Any thoughts on his words 

Also, since it wasn't a good learning time for me to learn better exerciseon equiptment (especially those to help me post op) do you have any advice?  When did you start looking at going to the gym?  I know walking is important and I am looking forward to be post-op.   I am just wondering about once I am post op when I can start really looking at going to the gym, what sort of resistance training u did (and how far post op u were when starting it) 

HW:315 SurgeryW:297 CurrentW:212.4 GoalW:165**M1:-25  M2:-18 M3: -13.2 M4: -13.8 M5: -4.4  M6: -7.2  M7:-3   M8: -0   M9:   M10:   M11:    1 Year Out: 

Weekly weigh-in numbers located in OH Profile area
 Blog:   http://www.ashleysweightjourney.blogspot.com

Georgie Mayhem
on 5/15/12 2:52 pm - New Zealand

well I suppose exercise is his solution and that he does it for a career he must be very pationate about it.

If it was that easy we all would do it, hes a bit ignorant so ignore him and dont buy the sessions as you'll get there on your own or with a little support if you need your local gym to set up and routine for you

tall_not_venti
on 5/15/12 2:54 pm, edited 5/15/12 2:55 pm
VSG on 02/23/12
The trainer I hired is also not a fan of surgery, and really kinda a pain in the tush, and not in a good way. I got online, looked at books, like body for life, weight training for idiots, and my favorite, which is rules of lifting for women. I did have my trainer walk me thru some of the machines, but honestly, there are pictures on most of them, and usually people around who will help. Maybe hire a trainer for a few sessions, but after my next few are up, I won't be getting more. I did resistance in the pool and yoga at about 3 Weeks, lifting and machines at 6-8 Weeks. I am really trying to focus on lean muscle mass, so I am lifting 3 or 4 times a week for 45 mins or so. Keep a notebook so you can see your improvements!

Start Weight: 245 Removed my monthly totals, because for me, comparision is the thief of joy.
Dare to believe that this time will be different. You can succeed this time.
acbbrown
on 5/15/12 3:03 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 I have had PTs in the past - at different points in my life. I have to say as expensive as it was, I feel like I did learn a lot from the experiences and working out with them. 

That being said, I will not use one now. I have tried twice to find one I could work with. One blasted my WLS diet and the other told me I was being ridiculous for considering plastic surgery for skin removal and offered to take 1/2 the $$ I'd spend on PS and he'd get me "the results i was looking for" - he wasn't too happy when I questioned just how he intended to tone up 6-8" of pure hanging skin from my arms or my big ass hanging panni. 

They - like most people - have a job to do, and they need job security so they will tell you anything, and think that there way is the only way. Hardly, if ever, will you find a PT that understands issues/causes/solutions to obesity, particularly super morbid obesity. They have no perspective really. 

Ever here of the phrase - "there's no such thing as a free lunch" - yeah, applies here too. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

KSqtpie
on 5/15/12 5:00 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
I have to go to physical therapy 3 times a week because I am recovering from spinal fusion surgery. I wasn't going to mention my upcoming surgery, but since I will be going to PT for at least 6 more months I kind of had to bring it up. She didn't have to say anything for me to know she did not support my decision. But I took the time to educate her about the sleeve and I told her my back surgeon supports me 100% because losing 90#s will only help my recovery.
I think it is very difficult for trainers and physical therapists to understand where we are coming from because they have never been in our shoes. How many of them can honestly say they personally lost over 100#s on their own?....very few. It's one thing to be fit all your life to the point you make it your career, it's a completely different life when you're obese and struggle every day to not gain more.
If they are good trainers, they will tailor their approach to the needs of thier customer.
Jaybee766
on 5/15/12 8:24 pm - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
Gosh this really confirms that I am really blessed to have found my trainer.  While he feels strongly that exercise and good food choices work well towards getting healthy, he never had one negative thing to say about my choice to have wls.  I worked with him for 6 months twice a week before telling him my decision and he saw my progress.  I lost about 8 pounds in those 6 months and had switched to meal replacement shakes for at least one meal a day and sometimes 2.  He researched how to help post operatively with exercise and checks in with me on my eating evertime I see him.  I know it might be rare but trainers like him are out there!  If you are in the northern VA area and would like his contact info just let me know and I"ll send it to you.  He's great - even when I'm cursing him out from my leg lift position or while doing side crunches :-)
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

hrford
on 5/15/12 9:20 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 Raises hand wildly in back of class!!!

I live very close to you (Andrews AFB), and I need a trainer.  I actually get one for free through the military but I have to pay for childcare and drive to Bethesda so I think it may be cheaper to just pay for one.  If you could message me his name I'd love it.

I actually have a friend here who lost 110lbs on her own and is now a trainer but I don't want a friend training me and I do better with men trainers anyway.  

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

seekingslimness
on 5/15/12 8:48 pm
VSG on 02/24/12
I would start by complaining to the gym, and tell them what you expected from the the free session and what you got, a high pressure sales meeting.  I have been working with a personal trainer and believe me it is expensive but I figure my food bill has gone down so I can work with him for a little while to get me on a good program.  He was very supportive of my surgery he just pushes for high protein and less carbs and sugars but it not as concerned about the calories.  I would really complain and ask for another free session with a different trainer so you can get what you want out of it.
   NIKKI

Krazydoglady
on 5/15/12 10:24 pm - FL
I have been working with a trainer for the better part of a year (I took off Nov/Dec), and it costs $200/mo for 2 sessions a week. 

I was 3 months post-op when I started and already well into my diet/weightloss.  I explained early out that his job was to train me, and that while I appreciated the advice I have a surgeon, nutritionist, and exercise physiologist to deal with my diet and overall 'health.'  We came to an early understanding,  he's seen the results, and really can't argue with my success.  In maintenance, I find his input on diet actually pretty helpful.  We trade recipes, etc. 

Is it worthwhile? Yes.  He changes up my workouts in ways I would never think to, he pushes me, he spots me on exercises I could never do solo, and he keeps an eye on my form in a way I cannot while actually doing workout.  On days I might stay home, I go to the gym because I pay whether I go or not if I cancel less than 24 hours ahead of time. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

julesGA
on 5/16/12 12:09 am, edited 5/16/12 12:12 am - Brunswick, GA
 Find a different trainer.  Period.  I started with mine about 3 weeks before surgery and was completely upfront with him about everything.   He was totally supportive of my surgery and had been my biggest cheerleader.  

For me having a trainer has made the difference between success and failure on the exercise end. If I didn't have to meet him three times a week I'd probably end up blowing off the gym on  regular basis.  He keeps me motivated.  As for plastics, we laugh all the time about what kick ass muscles I am going to have going into surgery.  

I understand not being able to afford regular sessions but I would encourage you to find a trainer  one you like and meet with them every couple of weeks or so, even just for a little while.  It will help you get started and give you some direction and advice on form.  

Good luck! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views