Need some vet advice

sutherngrl94
on 8/15/12 7:12 am - Raleigh, NC
Ok.  So I got my blood draw results back and the doc said they were normal so now I'm thinking I'm not getting enough fluids in because I don't always get my 64 oz in.  I do get enough protein in (around 60) and am keeping my carbs low (around 40 or less).  I am drinking a caffinated coffee in the morning now with SF syrup and skim milk so I'm not sure if that's hurting me or not slightly.

My vitamins consist of in the morning Flintstones Chewable with iron (2), SL B12 (500 mcg - 1), and 1 Biotin.  In the evening I take my calcium.

Could I just be slightly dehydrated and need to work on getting more fluids?

happyteacher
on 8/15/12 7:18 am
 For sure increase your fluids!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

sutherngrl94
on 8/15/12 7:36 am - Raleigh, NC
I'm sorry, I didn't clarify.  Could I be tired because I need to increase my fluids?

LeahBea
on 8/15/12 7:47 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
Tired or not, increase your fluids. Make sure you're getting the minimum 64oz, and maybe more... The scale will move more with more fluids too, bonus!

If your B12 levels are good you may be tired from restricted calories, etc. Looking back, I know I was. Wouldn't change it, but it definitely had an effect.

Leah

sutherngrl94
on 8/15/12 7:48 am - Raleigh, NC
But I feel like I should have more energy!  Will this change over time?  I just don't know that I should feel this way now.  I'm only 4 months out of surgery (on the 24th) which is why I'm trying to figure out what is normal.

LeahBea
on 8/15/12 8:00 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
 Not always. You'll see tons of people post about, "I have sooo much more energy!" etc. but the truth is, not all of us experience it. I wasn't one of them.

I can only speak to my experience, but, it hasn't changed. I had no more energy as I lost weight or now at goal. I can do more than I could 200 lbs ago, but I'm generally no more chipper than I would have been either. My labs are great, I eat well, get all my requirements, exercise multiple times a week, but no more energy than I had before surgery or weight loss. 

I will say at four months out I'd make sure it's not vitamin deficiency. Did you get a full CBC and iron and all that jazz? I'm not the best resource for everything you should have checked, but I'm sure someone will chime in. 

Hope you get some answers to your lack of energy, I know I wish there was a better answer to mine!

Leah

sutherngrl94
on 8/15/12 8:10 am - Raleigh, NC
Yes, she did check my iron and all that stuff.  It's just weird.  I'm glad to know someone else hasn't experienced this tremendous burst of energy.  :)  Sorta. 

slimpickins5280
on 8/15/12 8:00 am - CO
What did your doctor say when you asked about being tired?

Getting enough fluids helps everything.

Seriously, this is conversation you need to have with your doctor. You have a RIGHT to receive a diagnosis that explains your fatigue. The doctor needs to figure out what's going on with you.

You need to very nicely stay in your doctor's face and be your own advocate.

Anything you get here is just guesses.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

sutherngrl94
on 8/15/12 8:09 am - Raleigh, NC
She said she felt like I wasn't absorbing all of my nutrients but all of my labs were fine.  I'll work on my fluids and see how I feel.  I completely agree with your statement about the fact that I have a right to receive a diagnosis.

INgirl
on 8/15/12 2:46 am, edited 8/15/12 2:47 am
Please make sure you get copies of your labs, and you verify your results.. My dr always said my levels were fine too, but they weren't, they were just within range.. my D was 30, B12 was barely mid 300's! 

What labs did you get? This is what I get pulled, I get copies of everything, and I track them myself.. Since that time, I've gotten my D up to 90+ and my B12 to well over 700. Fluids too, yes- they make you tired if you are even slighly dehydrated. 64 is the barest minimum. Try to get it up to about 100 or so?

Here's my lab list (about 14 vials of blood), I can also find my list of the levels you really should be aiming for and PM it to you if you want.. I drag my list to the Dr and he pulls it for me now.. I check the results and adjust my vites to what I need. By 4mo out, my stamina was rounding the bend, I wasn't an early "I got all the energy in the world person!" But, some of that I attribute to going into surgery with low B12 & low D.

CBC

Comprehensive Met panel

Pro time, PT/INR

Iron

TIBC

ferritin

transferrin

Copper

Zinc

Total protein

albumin

pre-albumin

Folate

Vitamin A (DO NOT EXPOSE TO LIGHT)

vitamin B 1 (Don't expose to light)

vitamin B6 (also do not expose to light)

vitamin B12

vitamin D (Dhydroxy 25, 0,25 – NOT 1,25)

PTH (for use with calcium and vitamin D levels, where is calcium coming from)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views