Can a single Mom do it?

Living4MyBabySon
on 8/19/12 9:16 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
 Hi All,
I recently changed my mind from getting the lap band. Now i want to get the sleeve.  I understand the recovery time is a little bit longer.
I am a single mom and i live alone with my 2 year old son. I am wondering if i could handle the recovery process and my son by  myself? Is the recovery something i would need a second hand with?

Thank you for all your imput.

J
Hislady
on 8/19/12 9:19 pm - Vancouver, WA
acbbrown
on 8/19/12 9:25 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Good choice to stay far far away from the band. 

You may need help for at least a week or two with the baby - im sure you could manage after that as long as he wont require a lot of picking up and what not. Most surgeons will give you weight limits to prevent you from hurting yourself. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jewelz13
on 8/19/12 9:28 pm - TX
I am a single mom of a three year old. She went to her fathers for the first week post op and home after that. I returned to work that same week on Wednesday. My daughter started daycare back that same Monday as well. I was fine. I think you can do it. Just have friends or family standing By in case you need them. Good luck!!
jacreasy
on 8/20/12 3:58 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 I agree with Jewelz13,  Have friends/family standing by just in case!  I have a older daughter shes 12 so it wasn't bad with her at all, but I think just with the limit on lifting your son would exceed that so yes I think you will need a little help but stay away from the band, I too wanted the band and am Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy I got the Sleeve... I'm almost 4 months post op and have lost a total so far of 82.9 lbs Good Luck!!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

jolenecsky
on 8/19/12 10:25 pm - Franklin, KY
VSG on 08/15/12
I would definetley recommend help at least the first 3-4 days. I am a single mom of a 2 year old also. My son is VERY  active though. So it also kinda depends on how well your son listens to you, etc. I live with my 2 sisters, who have taken over with him, however he still wants his mom all the time. You will want to rest, focus on liquids, and staying on top of your pain those first couple of days. If you could have someone help you out, that would be awesome. I am on day four post op, and I am finally beginning to be able to do more stuff. But I still won't be able to pick him up for another 2 1/2 weeks, which makes taking care of him tricky. Luckily, I have a great support system. Is there a way you could get him to stay with one of your friends or family for that first bit? I know it's hard to do that....I have felt guilty pushing my son away from me, but it's for a good cause!! Today, my son was sitting beside me on the couch being very good, and all of a sudden he wanted to get down. He used his sharp little elbow on my stomach to vault himself off the couch. I almost saw stars. I couldn't breathe for a long time. So be prepared to stay far away from him!!

DOS: 8/15/12

Jackie00
on 8/20/12 12:59 am
Single mom here, my baby at the time of post op was able to climb to where I could change them, I also have a teenager that was able to lift the baby into the tub for me if needed. I have a little climber so just holding their hands to get the to step up into the side of the tub did not involve lifting. My parents offered me to come home with them so they could help out but I was feeling pretty darn good. I did have a pretty easy recovery other than sleeping lots.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

toniosmom
on 8/19/12 8:29 pm, edited 8/19/12 8:29 pm
You will definitely need help with a 2-year-old.  My son is 7 and he stayed with my parents for a few days and now that he is home, he has a playdate somewhere every day this week.  I'm 5 days out and I can't imagine being alone with a 2yo for at least the first few days.  I was very uncomfortable and didn't get my first decent night's sleep until last night.    

Sara R.
on 8/20/12 9:22 am
I am a single mom and i did the sleeve. I had a really easy recovery with only a little bit of pain for the first week but i did have fatigue for a long time like at least the 1st month was extreme fatigue. now it goes in waves depending on my diet. I had someone care for my child for the first week and then i took care of him. It is do able. se if you can get someone to come help you a few hours each day or take him for the first few days.

good luck!

Living4MyBabySon
on 8/20/12 11:32 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
 Thank you ALL for the feedback. You are all an inspiration to me. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views