New scale & weight gain???

oppman
on 8/29/12 5:44 am - TX
VSG on 07/23/12
As of yesterday i had lost -41.2 lbs. This morning I get on the scale & it said that I had GAINED 6 lbs? WHAT??? No, I don't think so! I had a total of 265 calories yesterday (that's all i could get in & I'm 5.5 weeks out). Yes, I also know that I am not supposed to weigh every daym but I am addicted! Anyway, how is a 6 lb weight gain even humanly possible? Do I need a new scale? If so, what is a good kind & from where?

HW- 310, SW 287.6, M1-31.4, M2 -11.2, M3 -15.8

sleevegirl
on 8/29/12 5:59 am - Austin, TX
If this is going to bug you, you have to stop weighing every day. I weigh every day and I see swings (usually not that big, but not unheard of either). If you are going to weigh every day, you have to go into it knowing that it's normal otherwise you will make yourself crazy.

My old scale would give a 3 pound difference so I always weighed 3 times and took the middle or the number that came up the most. I have a fancy Withings WiFi scale now and it always seems accurate.

Having said that, I do weigh daily but I KNOW that I will fluctuate day to day and I'm okay with that (definitely more okay than in the beginning, it's a learning process).

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Amy 2bhealthy
on 8/29/12 6:06 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
Depending on what you have been eating, if it is something with lots of sodium or just is staying in your stomach a little longer, I am sure it is a timing issue or salt. Try to drink as much water as possible and hopefully tomorrow is a better scenario! And exercising gets things moving a little quicker too. Good luck.

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

louisamay
on 8/29/12 6:41 am
VSG on 04/27/12
I weigh daily and if I didn't, I would not be as successful in my weight control efforts.  I know this from a lifetime of experience.  For me weighing is kind of like reading OH.  If I'm not doing it, THERE IS A REASON WHY.

LOL!

One thing that drove me crazy, however, was figuring out that my scale gave me a different weight every time I stepped on it.  My mother's did the same.  I remember her telling me once that she had to stand on it three or four times before it gave her a weight she trusted, ie, the lowest weight.

This drove me crazy so I went to a big box electronic story (Fry's) and pulled every digital scale off the shelf and put them all down on the floor.  [This was a long time ago and they weren't in boxes.  They may be now, which will suck.]  I stepped on them over and over, and any scale that gave me a different weight got put back on the shelf until I finally had a scale that consistently gave me the same weight every time I stepped on it, and I bought that one.  I didn't care whether it gave me a higher weight than the others or not, as long as it didn't change.  Oddly, it also gave me the lowest weight.  I still have that scale almost twenty years later and it still is consistent.

That removed the uncertainty.

As for weight fluctuation--yes it can fluctuate.  I've only had it fluctuate that much (five pounds or so) when I'd really stuffed myself, though.  For the most part I ignore fluctuations though they do make me more aware.  I am less likely to eat questionably when my weight is already being obstinate about dropping.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

oppman
on 8/29/12 6:48 am - TX
VSG on 07/23/12
Thanks for your advice, but 6 lb gain with me only eating 265 calories, i havent had more than 350 calories in 5.5 weeks. It just makes no dang sense!

louisamay
on 8/29/12 6:50 am
VSG on 04/27/12
I guess my point is, have you checked to see if your scale is consistent?  If you get on and off of it several times in a row does it give you the same weight every time?  If not, you have even more reason to disregard that 6 pounds. I agree with you that it makes no sense at all.

Are you constipated?  That can certainly cause some weight gain even if you aren't eating a lot on a daily basis.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

oppman
on 8/29/12 6:52 am - TX
VSG on 07/23/12
I have had this scale for a while now and NO i don't trust it very much, I usually get on it a couple of times to make sure and it is always different/ Any suggestions on a new one? Brand?

acbbrown
on 8/29/12 7:30 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Sounds better than my 9lb gain of the week....on the same scale. 

Different scales will give you different numbers...its not the number that really matters but the downward trend. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

dicastro1010
on 8/29/12 11:35 am - Escondido, CA
I have the "weigh****chers" brand digital scale- bought it at Wal Mart and it always gives me the same # even if I step on it multiple times. Also I know it sounds basic but make sure it's on a really hard flat surface... Don't get discouraged, like others said there are reasons like sodium etc in your body. Plus at just a few weeks out you may not be getting enough water in to your body which could be causing your to hold on to water weight too.
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

pineview01
on 8/29/12 1:52 pm, edited 8/29/12 1:53 pm - Davison, MI
I bought the biggest loser scale.  Not because it reads a higher weight
but, because I did as above.  Went to Wal-mart and than to Target and
got on and off all of them.  It came down to WW and Bigest Loser.  I like
the bigger area to stand on as it seems to be very consistant.  Down to
the same point 2 or what ever every time.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 242 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 310 views