VSG Failure.......

LindaDarnell B.
on 10/4/12 7:53 am
VSG on 08/07/12
I know that almost from Day 1 I complained about aspects of my surgery, and it seems I never gave it a fair chance. But honestly, from Day 1 when I woke from surgery “incredibly hungry", I never felt that I was on a path to success. I never felt that anything was different or that I had a fighting chance.  So now with tears in my eyes, and frustration all around me, I have to realize and admit that I am a VSG Failure after only 2 months. I never really feel any restriction, except if I eat really dense meat like chicken breast. And I am always hungry (and no it’s not “head hunger). I measure and weigh, track and record everything I eat. No I don’t always get it right, but most of the time I do. And yet I’ve not had much. Though I may have had one or two slips, I’ve mostly followed my plan as closely as I could- under 35 carbs per day, small servings, 700-900 calories, high protein intake…no starches! No starches! No starches! Basically I’m on an Atkins diet plan, and with all of that I’ve only lost 6 pounds my second month-BARELY 6 POUNDS! Half of that 6lb lost I contribute to an illness.  My family doctor said that if I’m following the plan prescribed, he would have expected me to lose much more weight my second month out….at least 10 pounds.   So I’m down a total of 30 pounds down- 24 lost the first month. And I need to lose at least 165 pounds total.  I know that I should not compare my journey to others, but there comes a time for reasonable realization when I have to accept that this may not have been the right choice for me. Even the surgeon has adjusted his expectations downward of my success since my initial consultation. I didn’t risk my life and finances to walk around hungry and tired, to only loose a miserable 6 pounds a month (if I’m lucky). I know VSG is only a tool, but it’s a tool that’s not working for me….I’m always hungry, I’m always tired, and I’m not losing weight. It has been suggested that I should have had a restrictive/malabsorbtive surgery –which my surgeon opposed. Now I’m at a lost bc I don’t have options for a revision this early in the game. And I feel like a failure for taking my family through all of this for a complete disaster. I’m not looking for a pity party or even advice. Just needed to vent one last time.  

~Regena from SC: /Surgery Weight 317/Highest Weight 321

karynh
on 10/4/12 7:59 am - Tampico, IL
VSG on 09/26/12
Are you getting any exercise?
LindaDarnell B.
on 10/4/12 8:01 am
VSG on 08/07/12
I don't exercise as often as I should do to 12 hour work days. But I do exercise 2x per week, i think that keeps me from gaining additional weight.

~Regena from SC: /Surgery Weight 317/Highest Weight 321

acbbrown
on 10/4/12 8:03 am - Granada Hills, CA
 I hope you have had or at least requested a full metabolic workup with your doc to see if you have any issues going on. Now, 6 lbs for the 2nd mo may not be unusual considering there is usually a killer stall during that time. 

I cant imagine how frustrated you are feeling right now - but, you are right, a revision may not be in the cards at this early stage so you have a couple options. You can have a pity party and go back to your old habits and stuff your little sleeve with junk, or you can put the scale far far away or even toss it - and focus on something else. Focus on building a new life for yourself that doesnt revolve around a scale. Maybe you'll lose weight, maybe you wont, but you will certainly be getting healthier (and I believe that if you make appropriate choices, the weight will come off no matter how fast/slow unless you have a very serious health condition). 

You cannot define failure at 2 months out - that's just silly. I know you feel like it - and that's okay, but try and work on the mental aspect of this journey. Our attitude is the biggest indicator of ultimate success. I am 16 mo out, and honestly, its easy at this point to make bad choices, and my WL has slowed/stopped because of it, and it sucks, but I have to wake up each day, disregard what the scale says, and try my best to keep making the right choices. 

Just a side note about restriction - i never felt restriction - i still dont really. We cut the nerves in our stomach...we shouldnt feel much for a while . If you arent  on a PPI = consider it along with getting some serious lab work done. 

Good lcuk to you - and please, dont give up!!!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

sleevegirl
on 10/4/12 8:06 am - Austin, TX
I know you said you don't want advice, so ignore the rest of this message...

Are you seeing a counselor? Are you getting your water in? You're stressing too much about the scale. I'm convinced that stress adds fuel to our fat, quite honestly.

When was the last time you lost six pounds in a month? I've had a few down months and a few up months. A few up weeks and a few down weeks. I will tell you that right around 2 months I thought for sure I was failing at it too.

Pick yourself up. Put on your big girl panties and get it done. Are you on a PPI? I know not everyone loses hunger, but it's VERY rare so I'm hoping some that do will chime in. Maybe smaller meals six times per day? Maybe stick with dense proteins? I don't know all the answers and again, I know you're just venting, but just throwing some info/ideas at you.

Breathe. Don't give up. Keep going. It's only been 2 months.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

BIGGSEXXEY
on 10/4/12 1:35 pm
 what is PPI?
Lee ~
on 10/4/12 8:41 am - CA
 You said you are lays hungry unless you eat dense protein.  That is basically all we eat for at least the first six months, or until we get to goal.

I remember writing you a long supportive post when you first said you were a failure.  This time I am going to give tou a dose of reality.

Get over it and get to work.  You shed 30 pounds the first two months.  I shed 19 the first month and 3 the second month.  22 pounds. I could have come here complaining about failing.  Instead I buckled down to exercise ( I was working 10 hour days, on call 24/7), I tracked every bite in Myfitnesspal, I asked for support and figured out how to roll with the punches.  You are two months out.  It took me 18 freakin months to get to goal but I refused to give up on myself once again.

I have never in last three years on OH heard of a sleeve failing.  Maybe you are the first of thousands. Time to decide if you want to be one of us losers.

Written with love.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

emelar
on 10/4/12 8:42 am - TX
So you've lost 30 pounds in 2 months?  Average of 15 pounds a month, a little less than 4 pounds a week?  Sounds terrific to me as far as weight loss is concerned.

None of the surgeries result in weight loss as fast or as much as we'd like.  Go to all of the surgery boards and you'll see some very frustrated people, just like you.  And, the bottom line, the sleeve is what you have to work with for right now, so you might as well work it.

Hunger - you've probably heard this already, but increase your drinking and take a PPI or acid reducer.  If you're already taking one, get something stronger or different.

And I'll second Allison's suggestion that, if your surgeon truly believes you're not losing as fast as you should, he should order a full metabolic panel to find out why.  My surgeon would have been thrilled at your numbers and told me to just keep on doing what I was doing.
Lee ~
on 10/4/12 8:44 am - CA
 You can do it! I would love to see you post requesting strategies for success!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

frisco
on 10/4/12 8:55 am

Wooh.....!!!!

ACB, Sleevegrl and Lee ..............Tell it !!!!

Great advice...... this is not easy and it takes WORK........ why should it be any different for anyone else.....

You need to stick with it........!!!

I can't even believe you used the word "Revision" at 2 months.......

If you only have restriction with Chicken (which I find hard to believe) I'd be eating Chicken for every meal...... hey wait..... I almost do !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views