First social weekend...mental aftermath!

Amy 2bhealthy
on 10/15/12 6:40 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I had my first social weekend since my surgery a month ago. Since I'm revision, I knew some of this was more difficult from my band days, but I think I am more stern with my eating this time around too.

Had a small birthday party at Chuck E Cheese for my niece Saturday morning. Not too horrible, had a couple pinches of the cheese topping off the pizza and 1/4 cup of the cottage cheese. We took cupcakes for my niece and everyone seemed to enjoy them. They certaintly made my mouth water, but with everything so busy there, it wasn't too bad to resist. I had a cheesestick and hummus in the car after I left.

When to the second party Saturday night. I took a buffalo chicken dip, that I made with higher in protein with greek yogurt, extra chicken, etc.  I had 1/4 cup potato soup someone brought, which really wasn't that great, and a couple small tastes of the buffalo dip. It didn't set extremely well, so I didn't each much of it. ALL the other food....ugh...it all looked so good. I took a small bite of the icing off my daughter's piece of cake and then realized how dumb that was and spit it back into a napkin. I didn't need it nor did I want to get sick since I'm really not sure how sugar will affect me. In those moments though, I really wanted to be able to eat some of the things everyone else was.

Sunday, had another birthday party. I took White Chicken Chili and had some of that with guacamole, which was really good. They had all sorts of other chili, and perhaps I should have just tried some of it. I am not supposed to eat ground beef until next week, so I resisted. Of course they had all sorts of other yummy things....cake, ice cream, chips, dip, cheese sauce, etc. Luckily, my daughter who is 2 1/2 is a goer and wanted to be outside playing most of the time, so I was very distracted, but still that food calls my name...lol. I resisted though.

So I am happy I resisted and ate well, but today I am finding myself wanting to eat more. I am sure it is the aftermath of the weekend's wants that I didn't have. I sure hope this type of thing gets easier or at least easier to deal with. I guess having all that food in my face 75% of the weekend was really hard on me. Is it on any of you??

Sometimes when reading the successful VETS' posts, it makes me feel like you all don't have this problem, like the day of surgery, it clicked, and almost makes me feel like I will be distined to fail because my mental sh*t is still going on. So...just curious. Thanks for reading.

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

Urseo
on 10/15/12 7:03 am - IL
VSG on 09/11/12
Well done on resisting temptation!  I'm right there with you- between the months of dieting before, two week pre-op liquids, then another month of restrictions post-op, it's enough to drive a foodie up the wall.  Double-plus good on resisting the cupcake.  Confession: I ate a few bites of a cupcake t'other day and was SO SORRY (very painful, it felt like a rock all the way through, and yes, I had read others' experiences with sugar on here and was just being dumb), so good on you!
I don't know about you, but I always celebrated with food.  The sleeving in and of itself is such a huge event, with months of mental and physical preparations before, and painful healing after, that the old habits part of me wants to cut loose.  It's natural, and you're not alone.  It helps me to know that other people struggle with it, too, and that saying "no" isn't the end of the world.
acbbrown
on 10/15/12 7:56 am - Granada Hills, CA
Doesn't get any easier...not for me anyways.

However, I make it work with my lifestyle. Eat well most of the time, exercise, and I can afford the indulgences when I am out in social events. Obviously, I still have to make decent choices and can't stuff my face, but I definitely indulge more when I am out/special occassions.

The thing for me is learning what a special occassion was - for the first year, I ate out soo little that any trip out to eat was special, and I'd have something that I wouldn't otherwise have. Now I go out so much, I have to re-adjust...not every happy hour or dinner out or date night is special (unless it's with jenn and angi - haha).

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

TSinNC
on 10/15/12 8:43 am
VSG on 08/16/12
 I'm not a vet yet, but being around certain foods is very hard for me. So far it has worked to just stay away from those triggers, but I know that tactic won't work forever. Good for you for resisting!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

nieba
on 10/15/12 9:07 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with
I am so glad you posted this. I have my Dad's B-day party this coming Saturday. My Mom (blass her heart) started worrying what to make (or get) for dinner all because she knew I couldn't eat a whole lot. After settling her down, we are making hamburgers and hotdogs for everyone, potato salad, macaroni salad and pies for dessert....

So, I will really need to go there prepared. I just started eating regular foods lately and I am still trying to train my brain that I need to eat slowly. This should be interesting!

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

BezoarGirl
on 10/15/12 11:48 am - WA
I always have a hard time after dinner when I am trying to relax from the day.

RNY 8/29/12       5' 9" tall

Most Active