I don't know why....

Nancy1221
on 6/30/13 4:25 am

For some reason I've been craving nachos and popcorn since the day I got home from the hospital I was sleeved on June 18th and I just can't seem to fight the craving !!! When can I have popcorn???!  I hate it honestly its making me kind of sad. Also I'm tired of protein shakes thank goodness Tuesday I start on my level 2 diet I get to eat eggs!! Never been this excited for eggs lol. Just had to vent :)

acbbrown
on 6/30/13 5:32 am - Granada Hills, CA

Instead of asking when you can have popcorn (because that should be very far down the road), maybe try and figure out WHY you are craving popcorn and deal with that. If it's in your house, get rid of it. 

The cravings and head hunger will always be there - im 2 years out and still deal with these kinds of feelings. Learn to build new coping mechanisms, build a plan for how to deal with cravings when they hit - build a tool box so to speak. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

cmgrayson
on 6/30/13 5:33 am
VSG on 06/25/13
Me too (sleeved on June 25th).

Calking
on 6/30/13 5:41 am
VSG on 05/31/12

I honestly think I will never have popcorn again.  Have you ever put popcorn in your mouth and let it sit there for a little bit?  Notice how it kind of melts.  If it "melts" that quickly in your mouth how can you really expect it to fill you up.  With popcorn "melting" so quickly it goes through your system faster which means it would take a lot of it to make you feel full.  

Basically you will end up with a bunch of calories with not much nutrition to back it up.  This is a bad decision in my way of thinking.  You are speaking with a man that used to go through a bag of popcorn every night prior to surgery.  That was May of 2012 and I haven't had any popcorn since.  There are so many other and better options out there.  

Think about this as well.  Popcorn in and of itself is fairly flavorless.  You add butter and salt to flavor it.  There are better things that you can add that butter and salt to that would be nutritionally better and fill you up much more quickly.  

Overall I am worried about you.  It sounds like you can't wait to get back to junk food like nachos and popcorn.  I think you might think about this and start to instead post the question to this forum ... "What are you substituting for popcorn and nachos post op?"  I really think you need to adjust your thinking to finding great alternatives and asking those questions as opposed to when you can get back to the junk foods.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

happyteacher
on 6/30/13 5:42 am

Not for a good while.  Those little kernel bits can get caught in the staple line and cause a leak.  Do not give into this craving!  Several months out  I had popcorn at the theater.  It wasn't pretty.  I have NO restriction with popcorn and can single handedly eat a large at AMC during a movie.  I have gotten it a few times, but each time it cost me about 400-500 calories for no nutritional value.   Of course, there are better options out their than AMC popcorn!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Nancy1221
on 6/30/13 6:00 am

Thanks so much! I will for sure fight the craving I'm just on my two week liquid post op diet and right now  all I can think about is food food food! But I will get out of this funk soon!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/13 7:45 am - TX

Sleeved VSG 6/10 I was soooooooooo hungry. When I got to eat pudding I was in heaven. Tomorrow July 1 was supposed to be my mushy stage. I cheated by 2 days, cheese is what did it. It is shocking how different it feels to eat.

Back to your hunger, I did a lot of self help mind stuff. Why am I hungry? am I hungry? am I bored?,, did my ex just **** me off?. etc. I was really surprised at what triggered me. then as an over weight individual I thought well dahhhh that's how I got fat. I am still 1000.00 percent happy I did sleeve.

So I say even if you don't like journaling, just think thru the hunger, suck on an ice chip. I also enjoyed frozen chocolate pudding.

The take each craving one at a time plan, also worked for quitting smoking.

Best of luck and time flies. You'll be eating soon!!!!

Nancy1221
on 6/30/13 7:51 am

I'm right there with you I start My mushy stage on Tuesday so I am so ready. Do you know if tomato soup would be okay you think it's too thick to do it because I'm so hungry I want food

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/13 9:45 am - TX

I ate/eat a lot of tomato soup loved it and dr. said ok

Tracy D.
on 6/30/13 5:53 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi Nancy - if no one has told you this yet then let me be the bearer of some unwelcome news....you are going to go through mourning/sadness/grief when it comes to some foods that just can't or shouldn't be a part of your food plan anymore.   I understand your feeling sad (you should have seen my tears after two weeks of no Diet Cherry Coke!).

It's not silly to grieve over food.  We have unhealthy attachments to all kinds of food and have to learn to let them go.   This sometimes has to be done with the help of a professional or a good support group (I use my bariatric group and a 12-step program).  

So, I agree with what another poster put that maybe - someday in the future - you might be able to do popcorn again.  But if you find that it's a trigger food that sets you off and you are mentally obsessed with it, it's best to put it on the "never eat" list.  

Good luck on this journey - we are here for you! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views