Exercise for the non-exerciser

rumpole6
on 6/16/14 6:24 am

Hi there,

I am a non-exerciser from way back, hated gym, etc. I spent brief periods in the gym, but basically, I never really enjoyed exercising, or even game playing for that matter. I do a bit of walking, but not enough for my medical team to be satisfied.  So I need to add exercise in order to be successful with my WLS.

Here is my problem: I work very long hours. I leave for work by 7:30 am and I typically don't get home until 8pm at night. I can add some walking at my lunch hour but I can't really do enough to work up a sweat (no showers) I am considering getting a treadmill to turn evening "vegetatative state" time to some real aerobic walking time. But given my history, I fear that the treadmill will quickly become another thing to put junk on.

So, I figure I can't be alone on this. I would really love to read your solutions to the exercise for the non-exerciser problems.

Let them rip!

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

Tlove6
on 6/16/14 7:02 am

I'm right there with you. I want to walk and take dance class. Dancing is great exercise!

HW: 283; SW: 269; pre-op: -12, M1: -16.2; M2: -10.6; M3: -13.3; M4: -8.2; M5: -8.9; M6: -8.5

SATXVSG
on 6/16/14 7:14 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

I hate treadmills but I do like ellipticals.  Not nearly as boring and you can get a good workout in a short amount of time.  Also, I think it is easier on my knees.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

MaryEllen OntheEastCoast
on 6/16/14 7:12 am - CT

I don't really have a good answer for you due to your time constraints but I related to your post because I also hate to exercise and skipped gym in school at every opportunity!  However I recently found a Physical Therapy place near me that has an indoor pool.  For $35 a month they offer unlimited swimming - 7 days a week as well as stretching and water aerobics included in the price.  I have been going 4 times a week - I swim hard for one hour each session.  I love to swim and find this form of exercise enjoyable - not a torture.  For the first time in my life I am actually exercising!

justmehere
on 6/16/14 9:11 am

I LOVE this idea!  That's a great way to exercise your whole body!  Good for you!  I'm going to try this!

Dreamingofbeaches
on 6/16/14 7:20 am
with

I completely get your problem.  I have a very similar problem.  Plus, I have a 6 year old I am taking care of, so when we get home at 6pm it is dinner time and getting ready for bed.  He loves to go play at the YMCA, so I am taking advantage of that to try and inspire me to go swim with him and do some resistance training while he plays.  The other thing I am planning to do is this...there are a few shows each week I really enjoy watching, but often can't and have to DVR them.  I am planning to move my treadmill to the family room and I can watch them in the evening, after the little one is in bed, or in the morning while I walk.  That way I get am inspired to walk so I can watch my show.   I am holding out hope that as the weight starts to come off I will actually enjoy doing some kinds of exercise and it will be easier to fit in, as it is fun.

Good luck!   

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

cappy11448
on 6/16/14 7:23 am

Hi,

I can relate.  I was an avid non-exerciser.  When I started the WLS process, I decided that if I was going to do something as radical as cutting out half my stomach, I was darn well going to be compliant with the program.  So I needed to exercise.

I decided on the recumbent bike.  I have it set up in front of the tv in the family room and I can watch my favorite program as I exercise.  It was important to me to have something I could tolerate that didn't cause me pain, and the recumbent bike was it for me. 

Then I decided on a few other strategies. 

1. I exercise every day - no excuses.  Otherwise I'd become queen of the excuses and wouldn't follow thru. In actuality I probably miss one day a month but for the most part I do it every day.
  2. If I don't want to exercise, or if I'm busy or making an excuse, I tell myself that I always have time for 2 or 3 minutes!  Once I'm started I always do more than that.
  3. I don't push myself to excel.  I figure some exercise is better than no exercise.  I started at 5 minutes a day.  Now, 18 months later, I'm at 20 to 30 minutes a day.  But I don't force myself to do more than 10 minutes if I don't want to.
  4. I try to quit while I'm still feeling good so that I will look forward to exercise rather than dread it. 

I've actually come to enjoy my exercise so it worked for me.

I wish you well with your plan.  I'd do a few minutes a day at something you like and at least you are started! It will get easier and more enjoyable as you lose weight.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

angie M.
on 6/16/14 8:08 am - TX
VSG on 12/02/13

Thank you so much for your response.  I always feel the needs to be 100% out of the starting gate and burn myself out.  Or just talk myself out of it to begin with.  But I find that if I can just get going, get to the gym, etc - I actually ENJOY exercising.  I'm a walking/jogging/elliptical girl ;) 

I think with me & exercise it really is about changing my mindset about it - if I can just get out of the house and plan on 10 minutes, maybe I'll complete the 10 minutes, and maybe I'll be home in 40... 

VSG: 12/2/13    HW: 268  SW: 239  GW: 145 

Gwen M.
on 6/16/14 8:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Do you have a 24-hour gym in your area?  That would be a significantly cheaper way to figure out if you'll use equipment than buying a piece for your home and then not using it.  

I found an exercise I liked and went with it.  I started walking on the treadmill for 65 minutes three times a week.  Then I added yoga, pilates, and tai chi classes.  Then I started adding in some running intervals on the treadmill.  I actually enjoy it.. maybe because it's easier now?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/16/14 8:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I've found that finding something I really like to do has helped a TON. I hated gym and especially hated running, so the treadmill was not something I looked forward to, and I'm super clumsy so aerobics and zumba and whatnot were right out. Then I hopped on a bike, realized that I didn't suck at it, and I've had a blast riding it!

I know there are a lot of different workout-video thingies on YouTube, lots of Zumba, Tai-Bo, cardio kickbox, different kinds of yoga, sweatin' to the oldies (OMG Richard Simmons is awesome, honest to goodness), even videos from a bunch of those dance video games that you can follow along with. Maybe you could try one of those? They're totally free, and maybe you can figure out something you like and feel good doing, and then use that as a starting point.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views