Question: Dr. Umbach in Vegas or Dr Gluck in Michigan

purplepam6
on 3/22/15 10:27 am - Wisconsin Dells, WI

I have been researching VSG and will be self pay because my insurance excludes all WLS.  I live in WI and I will be driving to where I have surgery.  Michigan is only a 6 hour drive.  Vegas is 27 hours.  Initially the cost in Vegas is more and has alot of online resources and online support groups.  I know if I choose Vegas we will have to stop every hour and walk.  Then half way back find a Hotel.   Michigan will have more cost after the 3 month follow up.  I am really torn because I do think that I would prefer Vegas because they have a ton of info on the web, but really would like to be closer to my surgeon for follow ups.  This is my first post, so be gentle.  Is it just my tech head dualing my common sense?

ShawnS16
on 3/22/15 10:37 am - Battle Creek, MI
with
Two of my sisters had their surgery with Dr Gluck in Michigan. They speak very highly of him, and I considered going to him for my surgery. I ultimately went with Dr Alvarez in Mexico for mine.

purplepam6
on 3/22/15 10:50 am - Wisconsin Dells, WI

Thanks.

frisco
on 3/22/15 7:50 pm

Texas seems to have several VSG surgeons that are very popular with many OH members here.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

bob-h
on 3/22/15 10:05 pm - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12

Do some research on doctor Mark Pleatman in Michigan. He did mine and I was self pay. Total cost was $11200.00 and includes all follow ups. I'm almost 3 years out and can still go see him whenever I want. Got a question for him and he answers his own e-mails back to you. He can't walk on water like some of the previous posters doctors can but is a very qualified surgeon.  Bob 

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

purplepam6
on 3/23/15 11:19 am, edited 3/23/15 11:20 am - Wisconsin Dells, WI

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.  

Pam

Vsg_Carlos
on 3/23/15 2:44 pm

Hands down Dr. Gluck. I was initially going to go with him however I ultimately decided on Mexico since insurance didn't pay.  I attended his seminar and hes very straight foward and knows what he's doing many of his staff have had bariatric surgery, so it's a very welcoming environment. A nurse I work with went thru him and recommended him to me. She has done great zero complications and has done very well in herweight loss. 

jenn1469
on 3/27/15 4:44 am

I went to doctor umback I live out of state also. He is so down to earth and awesome. I call anytime for anything and they still help me and  almost 9 mos post op. You can email nut anytime and she emails right back or you can call her. I lost all my weight in 4 mos I lost 74 pounds. The hospital he does it at is old as hell but very clean and the nurses are wonderful. I went to hospital alone I forgot the lady name from office but she was there waiting for me like she promised what a relief. She stayed with me till I went in or. When I went to recovery room she was in there waiting for me she was awesome. She gave me juice rubbed my legs, they are awesome glad I chose them. I'm in there January news letter they tell my journey. I do support group and classes w them online. Hope this helps.

Jennifer

Noragretz
on 4/4/15 2:48 pm
VSG on 09/05/14

I'm a happy Umbach patient too, but that is an awful long drive. I think you are letting your common sense out the door.  But for the cost to drive and hotel stays... Surely you can find cheap flights to Vegas.  I had a 5.5 hour drive... And it's not fun on all those meds and being in a car, trying to get your fluids in.  

Outpatient VSG 9/5/14

with Dr. Umbach  in Henderson NV

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views