VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Xpost from VSG foru...

Xpost from VSG forum - Pregnancy update with U/S pic &VSG specific details

USAF Wife
on 9/24/11 12:50 pm
Fair warning this is a pretty emotional post, and while I rarely share my emotional stuff, I ask that you all pray for my family.

For those who have followed the pregnancy fairly closely, or that I have spoken to one on one, know my history with the jacked up clotting disorder and aspirin therapy to help my platelet function etc etc. My platelets had been stabilized until last week and they've dropped to 77k. Which is too low for an epidural, and now we are looking at other therapies to help with this situation.

As I laid there bawling when they told me that the only way for me to deliver safely is under general anesthesia, I just went right back to my horrible anesthesia complications that occurred during my revision. For those who do not know, I had horrible anesthesia issues during my leak repair, landed in ICU on a ventilator with a very grave prognosis and only a 10% survival chance after my leak repair.  That episode has forever traumatized me and the doctors are actually recommending that I seek some therapy to deal with my anxiety and mild PTSD symptoms that I exhibit with general anesthesia discussions. I do not and have never suffered from any sort of anxiety in my life, but general anesthesia being mentioned sends me into a panic. I was on the monitors when they were telling me, and my HB spiked, Tatum's heartbeat spiked and then I started having mild contractions. Seriously, general anesthesia scares the poop out of me. Take away the fact that I want to hear her first cry, I want to be awake, I simply do not want to endure general anesthesia again, I am praying that we can get my numbers up. Least to say, this is a very difficult situation for me to manage. I'm asking for prayers, good thoughts, swing a fricken chicken I don't care, but if I ever need some good stuff to come my way, it's right now.

Here's the awesomeness of VSG:
As for another reason as to why I am beyond grateful for VSG, during the discussion with the OB about the clotting disorder and what we were going to do to manage through this platelet count dropping, he said "well the only other option we have is Prednisone therapy, but with your pouch, you can not have steroids." I said " Dr. B, I had the partial gastrectomy, NO pouch, NO RNY, NO stoma, I know it's tough to remember, but I have a normal stomach, just smaller". This is one of my high risk OB(I see 2 in the office) so I forgive him for not remembering I had VSG and not RNY. Anyways, his reply was "FABULOUS, you can take pred, and this should get your platelets back up, we'll put you on a super low dose, eat with the pred, you are going to GAIN more weight, you are going to be hungry, you are going to drinking tons of water, BUT at least we'll have a fighting chance for you to be able to have an epidural and be awake for her arrival." I started bawling even harder because if I would have listened to the surgeons, and allowed another human to decide what I would do to my body, I would NOT be able to safely take the prednisone. I would definitely be having general anesthesia delivery.

So, let me again tell you all just how phenomenal the sleeve has been for me. I am forever grateful that I was able to revise from the band to VSG. I would seriously endure every single struggle, every day of being NPO, every single hurdle of not being able to eat or drink, and every single difficulty to have this life I have today. I have to have more labs pulled on Tuesday, and then we will start the pred therapy the following week. This will give me 2 weeks on the pred and that should be enough time to get my platelet counts up.

Tatum is doing perfect. Let me just state that VSG has in NO way complicated my pregnancy, nor slowed down her growth and development. She is weighing 4lb9oz(which is perfect and in the 30th percentile for weight), and is measuring right on target for length. She is absolutely great, and thriving. It's pretty much my body that is giving us issues. I knew going in that my previous health issues, and history would complicate pregnancy so I was prepared for it. However, I was not prepared for the extensiveness of the complications.

34 weeks- She was sucking her thumb, and we could see long baby hairs on her head this time! ! !

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

MacMadame
on 9/24/11 1:30 pm - Northern, CA
 Cute baby. 

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Marie B.
on 9/24/11 10:18 pm - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
Good for you.  What a good post.  I know you'll do fine, and Tatum will have a wonderful, healthy mommy.  She already has a fantastic mommy!  We'll send up prayers. 
Highest weight ever recorded: 224lbs.    Surgery weight: 194 lbs.
Goal range:  130-135 lbs.
  Lowest:119.7   Current weight 142lbs Height: 5' 2" almost

Stacy160
on 9/25/11 12:15 am
Awwww, Tiff....I'm sorry you're having to deal with this shadow over such an important time in you and your family's lives!  I hope the steroids do the job... have they considered delivering her as soon as your numbers are up instead of going full-term?  Don't know if that'd make any difference or not, but it seems maybe prudent to jump on the chance while she's smaller and you're good.  I'm wondering if there's anything you can safely take for the anxiety in the meantime, 'cause that's not good for either of you.   Anyway, in the end everything'll turn out fine and you'll have that beautiful new baby girl... just don't forget to post an update preggo pic of yourself before then! 

HW 258    SW 246.4    CW 166.8 GW 160    
                     (reflects loss from all-time high weight in November 2009)
USAF Wife
on 9/25/11 1:49 am
Thanks chickee. . . We've already scheduled delivery for October 26th which puts me at 38weeks4days. That's the earliest they were willing to schedule. So, if I start the pred next week, then it'll give me 2-2.5 weeks to get my numbers up.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

CJCC55
on 9/25/11 12:53 am - Cleveland, TN
Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on your struggles. I am praying for you and Tatum and family.
I also join you in thanking God for your wisdom in choosing the VSG. I thank God almost every day for my VSG. My life has been so enhanced by having this surgery.
I'm pulling for ya!!!

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

Birdie55
on 9/25/11 1:01 am
I'll be praying for you and the baby, and your family.   

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Mom4Jazz
on 9/25/11 1:41 am, edited 9/25/11 1:41 am
Sending prayers and virtual hugs.

And reassurance: I take a steroid every day of my life. It's what guided me to the sleeve and I've been incredibly grateful for that.

Plan your meals according to the timing of your steroid doses. About 1-2 hours after the steroid dose you'll have the munchies which may last a couple of hours. I take mine in the morning once a day, and plan my calories accordingly. So when the munchie**** it's time for a meal followed 1 1/2 hours later by a snack. Just part of the plan instead of "extra" calories, if you see what I mean.

You will put on fluid, but you know how easily that will come off once you're off the steroids.

And have faith in yourself and your sleeve. I've lost 98 lbs so far, taking a steroid daily.

Tatum looks as adorable as a black and white scan could possibly look. Bet she'll be even cuter in person!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

diane S.
on 9/25/11 3:45 am
Hi, we are all sending good thoughts and prayers for a healthy and safe delivery. There is every reason to be hopeful that you can get those numbers straightened out. In the end I know you will find the strength and courage to do whatever it takes to bring your girl into the world safe and healthy. I hope and pray it goes the way you want. and you don't need the general. could they do a spinal? Whichever way it goes I know that you have longed for this baby and I just have a feeling its all going to work out. You deserve it.     Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/11 5:31 am
OMGosh Tiff, I am a puddle of tears from reading your post.  I am so thankful you got the sleeve!!  You had the fight of a life to make it happen, and you had no idea at the time that you were fighting for your life and for Tatum some day.  You are a rock star!  You did it, you got your way against all odds!!  Thank God for your sleeve!  I hope and I will be praying that you get your numbers up and can have that epidural.  BIG HUGE (((((((hugs)))))).  My daughters and I will be praying for you and Tatum and the boys