VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » How long does it ta...

How long does it take for stomach to stretch

Seiren
on 11/28/11 4:37 am - The Colony, TX
VSG on 12/17/09 with
I know they caution overeating because of the potential to stretch the sleeve. Just wondering how long you'd need to consistently overeat to do that. I feel like I overate for 2 -3 days (thanksgiving) which is the most I've done since surgery. Mainly carb slider foods. What do you think? Did I damage it?  I'm drinking protein shakes for a week to try to help with any stretch. I felt like I could hold so much. 

diane S.
on 11/28/11 10:03 am
I don't know the answer to this but I seriously doubt that a couple of days of eating stuffing and such will do any stretching. If it does then I am in trouble too as I ate some stuffing and gravey. The part of our stomach that remains is supposed to be a less stretchable part. And yeah, its funny how much of those slider foods that can go down but just try it with dense protein!   I am sure you are fine.  Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

dec721
on 11/28/11 10:09 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I don't really think a sleeve stretches much, because the stretchy part of the stomach is what the surgeon cuts away.  What is left is a muscular part.

Even if I hadn't read that over and over, I pretty much prove the point, as for the past year or so I have over and over again stuffed my sleeve to the point of discomfort ... which is one of the reasons I am 25+ pounds over goal (which I had reached by about a year out).  Still, with all the abuse, I can only eat about a half-cup of food, or less, before I am uncomfortable.  

It isn't the stretchy / non-stretchy issue that is the problem.  It is that slider food, junk carbs and sugar, go down REAL easy, slide right on out the other side, and make room for more of the same.  DON'T DO IT!!!
--Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

MacMadame
on 11/29/11 11:08 am - Northern, CA
From what I've read, everyone's sleeve stretches naturally and it's just part of how the body reacts to having part of it removed. I really don't believe that you can stretch your sleeve out significantly by doing this, that or the other. I know I haven't worried about it at all and I can only eat as much as I could eat at 7 months out.

That said, if someone constantly overeats their sleeve, for example, they have the foammies several times a week for months on end but won't change their behavior or is otherwise abusing their body, well, they have an eating disorder IMO and they need help.

This is true whether or not the sleeve would stretch from that behavior...

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

frisco
on 11/29/11 7:21 pm

It should be noted also....not only can the sleeve stretch in diameter, it can also elongate.

The sleeve becomes a very high pressure system with the majority of the stretchy fundus removed.

Just think how much harder it is to blow up one of those narrow balloons they twist up into shapes vs. a bigger rounder balloon. And think of the sleeve as the narrow part of the balloon where it is the tightest. And also think the further out from the narrowest part of the balloon it begins to get exponentially more elastic.

That's how I understand it anyway.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle