VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Weight loss/bounce ...

Weight loss/bounce back question

aprile93
on 1/6/12 2:51 pm
Hi all :) Quick question for the vets out there. When does the bounceback weight happen usually?

My weight loss: 
1st month - 19 lbs
2nd month - 14 lbs
3rd month - 14 lbs
4th month - 14 lbs
5th month - 4 lbs
6th month - 4 lbs
7th month - 2 lbs
8th month - 0
9th month - 0
10th month - 0
11th month - 0
12th month + 4 lbs gained
13th month - 0
14th month - 0

I don't know if the 4 lbs @ the 1 year mark is bounceback, or gain due to stress (had 5 root canals in 2 days - long story).

Does this mean I'm done losing? Do I have control over more loss, possibly?

Are there bounceback "gains" every few years, or yearly, etc?

I would just like to know  how it "normally" is for most...........I'm afraid of gaining (of course) but thrilled if all I gained for "bounceback" was 4 (Dr had said 5 to 15). At the same time, would like to lose some more - but I don't want to kill myself doing it. I am happy with my food choices and amounts and general nutrition & health.

I am willing to make changes to bring more weight loss - but not extreme ones like the diets I used to be on "back in the day". At the same time, I will go as extreme as I need to if I start re-gaining a lot for some crazy reason.

I'm 14 months out, and still terrified that it "won't work for me" and that I'll gain it all back. Trying to eat as normal as possible to maintain or slightly lose where I'm at right now. I am at a normal BMI for my height (I think I'm at 26%) but I could stand to lose some more. I'm 5'6, weigh 158, and am in a size 6 pant. Don't get me wrong....I NEVER thought I'd be in a size 6, and will be happy if I never lose another pound.

Is it normal to be terrified of regain? When does this fear go away? Are we ever "safe" in our weights? 

I still have great restriction. I notice I was able to eat more @ the 6 month mark, but it hasn't stretched since then. I can eat around 5 oz, but if I go for 6oz (chobani) I am VERY uncomfortable. For some reason, my chobani is the only thing I try to fini****hink because it's in a 6 oz cup maybe.

Sorry for rambling. I have not been to the boards in almost a year :(  I have not updated my picture, and I'm still working on the tracker/ticker. Thanks in advance for your responses!
 History:  Highest:259  Surgery Day:227  Current:151  Goal:145  Surgeon Goal: 160 
  Size 6 & loving it    ~ My sleeve has given me my life back~                                                   

diane S.
on 1/6/12 3:23 pm
my surgeon says it most likely happens in between year 2 and 3.  I have had a two pound bounce early in year two.(coinciding with the holidays). I still worry about regain and journal food and count calories. my surgeon says it can take five years to get comfortable that you are rid of this weight for good and that a bounce back of a few pounds is normal.

just make sure you are getting 70 or even 80 g protein and keeping calories and carbs low. I was a slow loser but this is what worked.    Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CJCC55
on 1/6/12 9:54 pm - Cleveland, TN
It looks like you have been maintaining successfully for several months. Congratulations on your wt loss, and maintaining so well.
I don't have any wisdom about a bounce back at 2 years, my 2 year anniversary is next month, and I hope I won't have any bounce back. I have been losing again recently. I have been so busy, that my food intake is way down. I am at my all time low.
going between 120 and 121. I weighed 119 when I got married 40 years ago, and have not been even close to that since, until now.
During this past year I have had some months when I had to go back to journally on a regular basis to keep it in check, but most of the time, I have been able to just stick with the good food choices that I have learned to make, and keep treats at a conservative level. I stand ready to go back to daily journaling if it becomes necessary to keep from bouncing back up in the months ahead. I have found that up to now, it is all that I have needed to do to get back on track and start to lose again. This is far better than the dieting that I used to try and do. I find that by journaling, I don't feel like I am on a diet, or feel deprived, I just feel informed and impowered.
Still loving my sleeve, and thanking God for it.

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

dec721
on 1/6/12 10:18 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Generally speaking, WE have control of whether or not we continue to lose, maintain, or gain.  (Mind you, I say "generally," because there are always exceptions.)  

If we eat protein first and veg next, stay away from garbage food, drink all our water, and move our carcasses, we will continue to lose until we are at our body's healthy goal weight.

If we add back in a few healthy carbs but continue to do all of the above, we will maintain with no problem.

If we start to eat junk carbs, sugar, and garbage food, we will regain.

I say these things with confidence, because I have done ALL of them! ... and in close to four years on these boards, I've seen them all with other sleevesters.  

We have control.  And right now, I am not utilizing that control, because I am eating garbage and am close to 30 pounds above my goal, which I had maintained easily until I started back on the crap.  You can do pretty much whatever you want to do with your sleeve.  Best wishes!!
--Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

loverofcats
on 1/6/12 11:36 pm
If you want to lose more, start journalling and keep your calories within a specific range. Also, measuring and weighing your portions helps to prevent "portion creep" (portions become larger). Exercise is vital to maintain weight and to help with preventing bounce back.

I think "bounce back" weight is a serious concern for the malabsorption surgeries, but may be less problematic for VSG. Anything more than 5 lbs, is a return to former eating patterns and eating too much, according to the Bariatric Internist in the program that I went through.

Most of the time, when I read about weight regain, it is because people have stopped journalling, stopped exercising, started eating more, increased stress, etc. I have never read that people who are eating enough protein, drinking their water, journalling, keeping within a specific caloric range,  and exercising are gaining weight.

Weight maintenance requires constant vigilance.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

sam1am
on 1/7/12 6:51 am
For me it was at two years, but honestly, I think its WHEN YOU LET IT.  If you are always conscientious and log your intake, exercise and get your water there is no reason for it.  It's when you let down your guard, you get complacent, your servings get a little larger, you experiment with how much and what you can eat and drink.  My humble opinion anyway.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

sassyscorpio
on 1/7/12 2:24 pm
Whoa, I will be 3 years this April, so maybe I can stop freaking out.

I watch what I eat, but I am still trying to take off 2 lbs from before the holidays. 2 lbs isn't so bad, but I still want it gone. For me, I have to really watch the evening snacking. It's the evenings that are long and I want to eat all the 100 calorie  snack packs I have in the house. I can only choose one, but if I had my way, I'd be eating all evening long.

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

VeraG
on 1/8/12 12:11 am - Bonner Springs, KS
I agree with Dorothy.  It is mostly in your control.  I'm not at the two year mark for a couple of months, but I've had several times over the last 6 months where I've gained up to 5lbs.  Those times were only because I was lax in my maintenance.  I got busy at work and neglected myself.  Once I get back on track and journal, protein first, make sure I'm getting what I need, etc.  Those 5lbs. have come off fairly easy.  I know that will not always be the case.  I can maintain my weight with little effort following the rules and having my snacks like peanut butter or almonds.  If I want to drop a few pounds, then I cut those items out and focus more on the basics.  So after saying all that, I believe if you want to lose, just be mindful of what you are doing.  Go back to the basics and go for it.

Living until I die!

Lee ~
on 1/8/12 12:27 am - CA
 The only times that I've put on a couple of pounds are when ive gone to a work conference and eaten hotel food for several days.  I don't make the best food choices and don't get to exercise as much.

If I eat out multiple times in one day, or too many times in a week, I gain.

Other than that I stay in a two pound range that is pretty predictable based on my sodium intake.

I lost the weight very slowly so I've always had to log food, track carbs and exercise a lot, just to maintain.  

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Jp2lose
on 1/9/12 5:59 am - Omaha, NE
I actually loose weight when I travel! When we ate in restaurants, I choose protein and veggies and took my protein drinks and nuts for snacks with me. I think I lost because I normally take up to an hour to eat some of my meals, but when eating in restauants, I stopped eating when everyone else was done and that was it, no more picking at it.

I'm coming up on my two year mark and haven't gained anything. I've worked hard to build my muscle up through exercise and weightlifting to raise my metabolism and I think this plays a big factor in my weight maintenance. I don't weigh or track anything except for loosly counting grams of protein.

Good luck!
Jen