VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Hair loss (bald spo...

Hair loss (bald spot!) at 18 +months out??

enzati
on 4/12/12 9:49 am - Columbus, OH
 I got a bald spot intially after surgery which was figured to be lack of protein. But now I take in at least my 60 grams per day and frequently more. I'm tired all lot more and am costantly cold. My initital thought was hypothyroidism of some sort (always okay in the past and was okay in August.). I have an appointment with PCP on Tuesday. CONFESSION: I hate taking vitamins, they never go down right, so I don't. Now I'm probably paying the price. Wondered if anyone else had this problem? 

Thanks!! 

Jaime
post-op VSG    
loverofcats
on 4/12/12 12:02 pm, edited 4/12/12 12:06 pm
Have your iron checked. If you don't take your vitamins and have your protein up to at least 70-80 grams/day, you are going to have problems and lack energy. Vitamins and protein are not an option. They are required. Coldness could be indicative of a hypothyroid and/or low iron. When my iron was low, I was constantly cold and my energy was low, but this was the first few months after surgery.

Lack of B12 can also result in low energy and low Vitamin B1 can cause permanent neurological damage, if the levels get too low.

There are many formulations for vitamins, pills, capsules, liquids, chews, B12 injections or sublingual. One should be able to find something that works. I had to try many different things during the first few months. It was a chore to take the pills, but I found a way to do it. Now, it is much easier and has become a habit, since I am further out.

The bald spot is odd. If it was related to iron or hypothyroidism or low protein, it would most likely be all over. It will be interesting to hear what your PCP thinks about it, and to see what your labs show.

We all had this surgery to be healthier and more active people. Vitamins and protein are part of our responsibility in making this surgery work.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

diane S.
on 4/12/12 12:30 pm
i have not had this  problem but i am glad you are seeing doctor. she may want a full vitamin panel run which i had done at 14 months.

i always hated taking vitamins pre op and never did. but post op i took them as ordered. i take costco kids chewables so they aren't as hard to swallow and as upsetting as regular giant vitamins are. fyi i also get 70 g protein still as per surgeons orders.

hope you can get this worked out.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Elaine H.
on 4/12/12 1:03 pm
I am a retired hairdresser, worked in my salon for over 40 years.
Hair is made of protein and anything going on in your blood will show up in your hair because hair is nourished by blood.
My guess would be alopecia aerata meaning baldnes in one spot.
Can be caused by stress, nerves etc. Glad you are seeing your pcp.
          VSG 3/21/11    HW 322  SW  298  CW  200 GW  175  5'7"    age 65                                                                           
MacMadame
on 4/12/12 4:47 pm - Northern, CA
Well hair loss at 18 months is definitely a nutritional deficiency. And 60 g of protein isn't really all that much. Depending on how tall you are or how active, that could be a bare minimum for you.

For me, my hair loss started pretty early out and didn't end until I was 17 months out. It was definitely a nutrional thing for me, a combination of low protein (and I was getting over 100 g a day at one point but that wasn't enough for me) and low-ish ferritin. My ferritin was in range but when I started pushing more iron to raise it up, my hair stopped falling out.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights