VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Update on stomach p...

Update on stomach pain

Alyssa2010
on 4/15/12 4:33 am - Philly Burbs, PA
I knew asking this group would be the right thing to do!  Such an intelligent group of people! Thank you so much for your replies to my previous post :)  Tues night, I had another attack. On Wed, I went for my VSG blood work.  Wed night had another attack - still hadn't heard back from my family Dr but they said I might not hear from them until Thursday b/c of a conference this week.  Thursday, I barely made it to work and I got sick.  Called my Dr office and they said come right over.  They looked in the system and said most of my blood work was back already and it was showing all 3 liver values were elevated.  Between that and the description of my pain, they are predicting that I have pancreatitis due to gall stones.  I had an u/s on Friday to confirm, but the tech wouldn't give me a hint if she was seeing anything (which I knew would be the case, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask).  I have an appt on Tues morning w/my WLS surgeon, so I should know my surgery date then.  I've been eating a really bland careful diet since and haven't had any more attacks.  Hopefully they can schedule me soon and I can get back to normal.  I haven't had any pain since Thurs but I feel really wiped out every day. I'd like my energy back!     If you had your gallbladder out - how would you compare your recovery to VSG surgery? My VSG was almost pain free and I had a really easy recovery.  Hoping this is comparable! Thank you so much for all your help!  
Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become. Alyssa
HW/SW246 / GW150 / CW137 5'2"

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/12 12:41 pm, edited 4/15/12 12:45 pm
I'm so glad you have an answer.  My liver enzymes were up like yours, and the scan showed a bag of stones.  I was scheduled the following week for surgery, but had a 5 hour attack while waiting.  It was awful.  I should have gone to E.R. and had it taken out as an emergency, but I wanted my Bariatric doc to do the surgery, so I persevered through it.

In just under 2 years, I've had 4 surgeries.  I'll rate them for you with number one being the hardest recovery.

1.  Breast reduction/lift (Feb 2012)
2.  Gallbladder (April 2011)
3.  VSG (Oct 2010)
4.  Shoulder repair (April 2010

It took me 5 weeks to feel pretty good after VSG, and 6 weeks to feel pretty good after gallbladder removal.  Breast reduction took a solid 8-9 weeks, and the shoulder repair was 4 weeks.

Hope this helps.  Keep us posted.
Lee ~
on 4/15/12 12:54 pm - CA
I'm glad they're getting you sorted out.  I had my GB out three months before my VSG.  The GB surgery was much easier than VSG because I had a hernia repair and liver biopsy at the same time as my VSG.  GB is an in and out lap procedure and you'll be happy to be home in your own bed.  Stock up on some Vicodin and Netflix and you'll be fine.  I took a week off from work but really didn't need it.  A couple of days would have been fine.  But then again, playing lazy is always fun too!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

edelu
on 4/16/12 8:24 am - los angeles, CA
My GB surgery was a walk in the park next to my VSG surgery.  I've had various plastic surgeries, lap band, appendix, gallbladder and vsg.  Without a doubt the GB was the easiest.  I was out bbq'ing within 72 hours.
LeahBea
on 4/17/12 3:16 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
Gall bladder attacks = the devil! Sorry you've been having trouble.

I had my gall bladder out about a year before my VSG. For me, I'd rather go through the VSG again 12 times before doing the gall bladder again. Then again, the surgeon that did my gall bladder, I just think she didn't care about getting out as much of the gas as she could have.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope your gall bladder removal goes smoothly and you have an easy recovery.

Leah

CJCC55
on 4/17/12 2:09 pm - Cleveland, TN
my VSG was easier than my GB surgery (except for the learning to eat again) The actual surgical recovery part was easier with VSG
I felt so much better though after my GALLSTONES were all gone, I had to have an ERCP after surgery because of stones in the bile duct that they couldn't get to during surgery.
After that, it was all good.
Sorry you are having to go through it, GB attack pain is the most horrible pain I have ever had.

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

Alyssa2010
on 4/18/12 10:35 am - Philly Burbs, PA
Thank you so much for sharing your stories! Saw my surgeon yesterday and he said the u/s confirmed I have a lot of small stones. He already had a packed schedule for next week, so I'm scheduled for first thing Mon morning 4/30. So that's the plan unless I wind up in the ER before then. I had a lot of attacks last week but have been good so far this week. I'm hoping I can keep things quiet b/c you're right - the attacks are the worst!!
Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become. Alyssa
HW/SW246 / GW150 / CW137 5'2"