VSG Maintenance Group

Need some help

therese50
on 7/9/12 5:41 am - Lansing, MI
Hey all.  I am a year and a half out from surgery and all of a sudden I am losing it.  I am up six pounds and all I can think about is food.  I don't want to gain all my weight back, but I'm hungry all the time.  Please help me figure this out.  I did so well for so long and now I'm afraid.  Ideas and suggestions please.

loverofcats
on 7/9/12 6:19 am
Congratulations for catching the weight gain at 6 lbs.

The usual mantra:

1. Track and measure your food.

2. lean dense protein and green veggies. At least 80 mg of protein/day.

3. no starch or other high carbohydrate foods

4. at least 64 ounces of water per day

5. Are you having any acid issues? Excess acid can mimic hunger and if this is present, you may need an acid reducer.

6. Are you exercising, including weight training?

7. Are you eating a lot of processed food that is high in sodium?

Just a few suggestions. I'm sure that others will chime in.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Lee ~
on 7/9/12 8:11 am - CA
 Therese, everything Gail said.  For me it's about staying within a 2 pound range. If I go up, it's strictly protein and veggies.  I am finding maintenance challenging. What works for me is a lot of exercising.  Last week I hiked 40 miles. I get hungrier when I exercise so I seem to just stay stable.  Tracking my food helps me stay focused.  I am trying to keep my snacks to raw veggies.  My current obsession are the mini tri colored bell peppers.  The crunch keeps me happy.  Radishes, cucumbers, jicama are all great as well.  Elina has some great ideas for low cal salads that ar very satisfying.

Sending hugs! I know how frightening it is to see the scale go up.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

diane S.
on 7/9/12 11:44 am
Hi T

The other posters have given good advice. When you feel hungry, ask yourself if dense protein sounds good. If it does, eat some. If not,you are not really hungry. vsg stomach empties out faster than others. you may want to do five meals a day as my surgeon now suggests. make your snacks fiberous veggies. You can do this. Usually if you are obsessing about food you have had too many refined carbs. get away from carbs and this feeling will go away.

there are lots of older posts on this group about this same issue. its worth the time to go through and look at them as there is good advice.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/