VSG Maintenance Group

1500 Calories

Spencerella
on 11/13/13 11:25 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Are any of you regularly eating around 1500 daily maintenance calories?  I still have very tight restriction and low hunger levels so am struggling with getting them all in during the day. By the end of dinner, I rarely have consumed more than 1200, often less. I'd appreciate your suggestions!  Or access to food diaries?

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Spencerella
on 11/13/13 2:26 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Should have clarified that I know 'what' to eat (in my case lots of fat to get calories without density) but struggling with 'how and when' to get the calories in. Hope that makes sense!

LINDA                 

diane S.
on 11/14/13 1:54 am

I maintain on 1200 to 1300 calories per day but i am approaching 4 years. When I got to goal, I kept losing and had trouble getting enough calories in and got quite a bit below goal. I got in more calories by eating a blob or two of peanut butter in the evening and more almonds. this problem eventually passed. i still like that peanut butter but now can eat more and have to watch it. eat more cheese too.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Spencerella
on 11/14/13 2:40 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Thanks for the tips Diane.  I feel like I'm always stuffing myself to keep my calories up, and hadn't thought of the spoonfuls of peanut butter.  Will add that in because it's an easy one.  

It's good to know I'm not the only one who experienced this in the early months.  I do think it's interesting that your calories have had to drop so much lower at four years out.  I wonder why that happens.  Have you heard any explanation for that?

LINDA                 

diane S.
on 11/14/13 9:06 am

Hi, well my calorie needs have not dropped. I have always maintained on 1200 or so. In the early days after goal it was hard to get that while still keeping protein up and not eating cruddy stuff. so the peanut butter helped me get to that level/

I have a resting metabolic rate of 936 calories. really slow. my doctor thinks the test was in error but not me. i was a slow weight loser even with wls but I still lost l00% of my excess weight and have a bmi of 21 now. I would gain weight at 1500. anyway, just want to be clear that i did not have to drop to 1200. its always been that way. i don't much like it but can do it. better than being fat.     diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

MacMadame
on 11/14/13 4:08 pm - Northern, CA

I routinely eat 1400-2000 calories a day. It's not that hard. But you can't do it by following a cookie cutter program where you limit yourself to 3 meals a day (or even 3 meals and 1 snack).

I eat about 5-6x a day normally. But, if I need to, I'll eat more often. When I'm training for an IM, I had two lunches! Plus I will snack on nuts. When I'm not, I'll snack on carrots. (That is a difference of 200-300 calories right there.)

I also will have a pre-workout snack, may drink a sports drink or eat during the workout if its long enough or I need the calories and then a post-workout recovery snack. I can get in another 400-600 calories that way for a 2 hour workout. More if the workout is longer.

I also drink a protein shake for breakfast. That gives me almost 300 calories right off the bat and then I can get started on the rest of the day's eating without having to wait an hour to have room. If I need to, I'll have more protein drinks throughout the day to supplement as well.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Spencerella
on 11/14/13 9:51 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

This is very helpful, MacMadame and very achievable. I think I have to change my mindset to space things out better, but I can do that. 

LINDA                 

drea29
on 11/28/13 11:44 am

I am 18 months post op and hit goal at 15 months.  I have found that I too maintain at about 1200 calories a day.  I have no trouble getting that many calories in.  It is a bit concerning because I assume I still have fairly good restriction.  I am meeting with my surgeon this week and will discuss this with him.  I also will add that I eat mostly  protein and veggies.  I still have oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder mixed in for breakfast.  Have not added any starchy carbs.  If I did, i would have to cut something out.  Sometimes I think I eat too much at meals.  I do weigh my protein, but stopped measuring my veggies as I think I know what a serving looks like.  I recently cut out an afternoon snack of an apple.  When I look back at all my weight loss in the past ,1200 calories has been my maintenance intake.   I guess I thought it would be different wth the surgery.  I do remember the days when it was hard to get in 800 calories.  I worry that my sleeve might have stretched.  Not sure if this is possible.  Any input would be helpful.