VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » VSG Maintenance for...

VSG Maintenance for April 23 Thurs

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/15 9:06 pm

well, scale is the same but I THINK my attitude could be changing.  Ate wisely, walked for an hour and in general in all facets of the day made deliberate choices.

Still not quite sure I truly understand ' choose ' and ' choice ' but am trying to say to self; " Self, are you choosing this or is this just a runaway feeling of food lust".  Not perfect but it certainly caught me out more than once.

peace with food sounds marvellous.

you know how it is said that sleeplessness contributes to weight gain, or at least not losing it.  What is your experience?

momsy55
on 4/22/15 11:05 pm - ME

Down 1.1 lbs. this morning.  Went to the dr. yesterday for a routine check - all is well, but my BMI is still in the obese range.  I will never get below the overweight range, as I have a very large frame, and even now have bones sticking out in lots of places.  BMI doesn't take any of the other factors into consideration.  My fat to muscle ratio has been within normal limits for my age, so I go with that.  Unfortunately, that factor isn't used by general practices and insurance.  Oh well, it is what it is, and as long as I stay healthy, that's the important thing!

Glad to see you're feeling better Apple.  I do find sleeplessness can contribute to weight issues.  There is certainly evidence that there are physiological reasons for this, including lack of seratonin.  The saying from OA to not get too hungry, angry, lonely, or tired is also a big factor.  When tired, I want comfort foods, for the seratonin, of course, but also because those foods are easier - little or no preparation, and who wants to cook when really tired?  I'd rather grab something on the run.  Emotions also seem to get heightened for me when I'm tired.  I'll cry at things, or get angry with others about things that I would normally not, and food soothes those feelings.  I have been trying to be more holistic in my approach to my health.  Not just eating in a healthy way, but going to bed earlier, paying more attention to my oral care, using moisturizers regularly to keep my skin healthy, etc.  My planned knee replacement is not only to relieve the pain I feel, but also to allow myself to be more active, which will impact in a positive way too.  Have a great day!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Spencerella
on 4/23/15 2:46 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm at 112.5 today, which is closer to where I'd like to hang out, but it's still elusive to hold there.  White knuckled through last evening, but I was successful.  One day at a time

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/15 3:09 am

Didn't weigh today and won't until the weekend - probably Sunday.

Went and met with the RD (Nutritional Therapist). She still doesn't want me focusing on weight loss, but rather resetting my eating habits. I am feeling like I would like to focus more on eating in a healthy way that promotes weight loss while still not restricting choices and having off limit foods. (The idea of "dieting" in the traditional way right now is anxiety provoking and if I tried, I know I would just rebel.) I did agree to work on a structured eating plan for the next two weeks. She is creating a plan for me and will email it to me tonight. I'm interested to see what it will look like.

As for having little sleep, it drives my appetite for simple carbs way, way up! I remember when I was up with my singleton puppy several times per night to make sure she was getting ample food because her mama had no maternal drive. That's when my weight gain really kicked into high gear. Exhaustion makes it very hard for our bodies to function optimally. There is research that clearly shows lack of sleep causes weight gain.

diane S.
on 4/23/15 3:59 am

Some great posts here today.  wish i had something profound to add.  122.5 today.  just taking it one day at a time. I've been really busy with gallery promotional activities and show preparation and that sure helps curb the eating.  the day i sat in the gallery with little to do is the day i think i am hungry.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/