VSG Maintenance Group

Monday, May 9th

momsy55
on 5/9/16 9:37 am - ME

Hi All!  Once again I only have a few minutes, but everyone is in my thoughts.  I hope to take some time and read all of the posts and respond after work.  I had an emotional weekend.  Prom was Saturday and I shed some happy and sad tears.  Mother's Day was tough.  We went to MIL's.  Her SO's cancer is back and he seems to be failing fairly quickly.  This of course is weighing on MIL, who is also depressed as, since her stroke, she's unable to do a lot of things and is also failing.  She's worried about going to a nursing home, but we said DH, BIL, SIL and I have talked and we shared the plan, which she was pleased about.  She talked about not caring if she lives, as she can no longer do the things she wants to.  She made a comment to my sleep deprived, grouchy 17 yr. old, that she wouldn't have to worry about coming down next Mother's Day.  As we were leaving, she started to cry and the rest of us did too.  It was really hard, though we all hugged.  I let her know that she's been like a mother to me, which I have appreciated, as my mom had died before I met DH, and she seemed happy about that.  Unfortunately, I ate over my emotions. I didn't weight this morning, but know the scale is up.  Going through the feelings of awkwardness and feeling fat and uncomfortable in my skin and clothes.  On a positive note, food has been good today. 

Have a good Monday and hugs.  Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

diane S.
on 5/9/16 9:44 am

Greetings Mothers day survivors

All my kids have four legs so they didn't make me a cake or lobster. Darn.  Scary to feel sick from lobster. Come to think of it, i have not had any since vsg.  We live in crab country but there was no crab so far due to some germs in the crab.  

Called my mom yesterday. She is so weak she can hardly speak so I just prattle on to her.  It was all about the puppies. We visited them yesterday. What a bunch of little firecrackers. I think I know which one I want but get to decide at the last minute. 

Yep, crackers are what our moms gave us when we were sick kids. and 7-up.

The workers are here to do the siding. they look like willie nelson and waylon jennings. But they know what they are doing and it will be good to get it done. 

Up a full pound today to 131.5. Musta been the chinese food though it wasn't a lot.  gotta get to the store today to get some green stuff. 

Playing with puppies was fun but hardly aerobic.  diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/16 9:45 am

I feel like it's a "Diet Monday". Boy, there is something about that doesn't sit too well. Old tapes perhaps - an old sense of despair? I had a fleeting moment of feeling that continued effort is futile. It is amusing how the mind/addictive side will play the game to keep you feeding the "addiction", so to speak.

I have but one goal this school week: No sugar. I don't give a rat's ass about non-sugared refined carbs. I will eat bread, rice, cereal, pizza, but no sugar. That's all I can manage today. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to manage more.

Mother's Day with Ron's family was okay. I tasted Ron's Bacon Crack and it wasn't really very good, so a few pieces were all I needed. (I had been worried that it would be one of those "must have more" foods, but it wasn't.) The dinner changed and it was tri tip and salmon with baked beans, broccoli salad, and a lightly dressed macaroni salad. I had a taste of the beans and the mac salad and a ¼ cup of the broccoli salad and about 2 ½ - 3 oz. tri tip. An hour and a half later I did have some dessert, but was restrained.

The pups were up at 5:30, and therefore, so was I. Joy! NOT!

I am feeling battle weary, haggard, and somehow depleted, yet, I am determined to relocate my resolve and tenacity for weight loss.

Spencerella
on 5/9/16 10:26 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I truly believe that for you, all you have to do is refrain from sugar. The rest will fall into place. You may have to do a carb reset later this week before reintroducing everything except sugar, but for what it's worth, I really think refraining from sugar is more than enough for today. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/16 11:05 am

You are right. For some reason the sugar seems to be the main factor. I do not know when sugar became such a pronounced problem. Perhaps it always has been and it's only since VSG that I have become increasingly aware of the significant role sugar plays in my episodes of disordered eating. Luckily, I have an appointment with my nutritionist this afternoon. While she does not give me a food plan per se, she is a wonderful resource and has many offerings on how to deal with the sugar lust when it rears its head or, in my current case, when the sugar lust is firmly planted. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/16 2:08 pm

Good read for strategies to combat mindless eating.

tips to stop mindless eating

Spencerella
on 5/9/16 4:08 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Excellent list!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Paula1965
on 5/9/16 4:08 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

Good tips!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

stephanieplum
on 5/9/16 6:12 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

Late ck in but wanted to say hello...I made it through graduation, Mother's Day, the first day of the outdoor classroom and the band picnic without too much damage.  Graduation, I did eat a rather large piece of cake but it was home made and delicious.  We ate at Olive Garden for Mother's Day and I had shrimp, broccoli and asparagus.  No bread. No pasta.  Today, I did well with the choices I had at school.  I chose not to eat the picnic...it was all junk anyway.  Pre-VGS I would have devoured the chips, pizza and desserts.  I sat and chatted with a friend who didn't eat either.  I survived!!!!

Hugs to you all!!

Paula1965
on 5/9/16 7:00 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

Nice restraint at the picnic!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!