VSG Maintenance Group

Regain support & advice needed

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/24/16 11:55 pm, edited 7/25/16 12:03 am

Hi all!  I'm back after a long hiatus from these boards.  I had my VSG 5 years ago and it is still the best decision I have ever made.  For a variety of reasons, I have not used my VSG tool to it's fullest potential for the past 1-2 years.  And of course that means I have some dreaded regain.  My high weight pre-surgery was 246.  My low weight post-surgery was 145.  Today I am at 190.  

This is the first time I have crossed beyond the 180's and enough is enough.  I'm here, I'm recommitted to using this tool right.  I have a short term plan and want to ask for your 1) support and 2) advice about how to tweak it for it's best effectiveness.  I know some of you have dealt with regain... and want to know your best advice if you're willing to share it.

I found the pre-surgery week of liquids to be difficult but effective.  I lost a little weight before surgery and it showed me the discipline I'd need immediately post-surgery to let my body heal.  So today, I embark on a 5 day liquid diet to jump start my renewed commitment and prove to myself that I can be disciplined again.

Then I'll move into a high-protein, low-carb, protein-first, lots of water phase.  The calorie count for this is TBD.  I know the lower the better, but I also don't want to crash.  I now live outside the USA where there aren't as many food choices that fit the VSG lifestyle.  And my stressful, somewhat unpredictable job doesn't allow me a perfectly repeatable eating schedule.  So I want to be flexible and compassionate with myself.  (My old history of beating myself up for stumbles proves that I fall off the wagon easily, so I'm trying to be kind to myself which leads to less failures overall)

Let's count the victories that I have maintained on this journey to not lose sight of the good: I have maintained more than a 50 pound weight loss.  I don't drink soda anymore.  I understand the type of nutrition my body needs (I just don't always make those good choices).  I crave and love exercise (my running currently on hiatus due to injury but picking up yoga in the meantime). Mostly, I do not mix eating and drinking at the same time.  

Let's count the things I know I need to improve: I need to drink more water.  I can't eat every hour or every other hour to fill some mental void or to feed the carb monster.  I need to cut back on alcohol. I need to divorce myself from sweets, candy, pastries, sugary desserts (a bigger challenge than I expected in my new country). I need to eat protein first.  I need to say no to the bread basket.  I need to find convenient snacks that fit my lifestyle to keep with me so that when hunger or temptation strike, I can make a better choice.

Thanks in advance for your support & advice.  It's all welcome!  

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

LeapSecond
on 7/25/16 3:58 am, edited 7/24/16 8:59 pm - AR

Welcome back.  I made it past my surgeon's goals but never made mine.  Regained. Recent addition to this board.  The whole liquid diet would be pretty hard for me to go back to because I have no swelling like after surgery.

This is what I do:

Weight everything I eat.  

Track everything you eat or drink.

1000-1200 cal  (I start losing closer to 1000)

100 oz water 

100 g protein 

< 40 g carb (trying)

Eat dense protein first.  Avoid liquids with meals.  

Consciously Eat slowly.  Take small bites. Chew. 

Weight everyday

FEED emotions with emotion food, fix your head

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/25/16 8:55 am

Thanks Leap!  All great points.  I've tried the 1200 cals a day and I just can't.  Not sustained for more than a couple days anyway.  But your advice is spot on with what I remember.  Now, it's time to Just Do It (thanks Nike!).

Good luck to you also with the regain.  It's a disappointment for sure.  But I've drawn the line and here I go with tackling it.  Let's keep in touch to support each other!

Paula1965
on 7/25/16 4:49 am
VSG on 04/01/15

Welcome back Poker! This is a great place for support and advice! Your attitude seems really great to tackle the regain! Best of luck!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/25/16 8:56 am

Thanks!

Shel25
on 7/25/16 10:29 am

Welcome!  Though we are in different stages of maintenance (I am a newbie) I have found this board very helpful in both support and content.  Also, nice to see another person who enjoys yoga.  Do you practice with a group or do it on your own?

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/25/16 12:15 pm

Thanks Shel! I have done yoga with groups and solo.  I like it both ways.  I need to find some routines on youtube.  Let me know if you have any recommendations.  :)