VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Friday November 24t...

Friday November 24th

LeapSecond
on 11/24/17 6:00 am - AR

Wt fully clothed after breakfast at the new PCPs office 239. Officially 42 lb regained. Panic. I am still down 120 lbs. But regaining is present tense. Feeling like I am failing at maintenance. I know where I am failing but can not seem to change the path. I have never eaten at night but I have been for a couple of months now. That is about 300 added calories right there. I am going to start tracking again to focus on my intake starting TODAY.

Yesterday we had old tried and true food dishes. I did ok on eating yesterday because even with the whole food spread there all I wanted was nuts and yogurt. I did have it in the car but thought it would be rude to eat it.

We had 10 children around the tables yesterday. It was loud but not too bad. Very well behaved. That makes stress so much easier. I think it was the best Thanksgiving day we have ever had. Speaking of children, we should have one more to be here in the next 14 days. And in another couple of months my other daughter is to deliver. We are collecting all kinds of baby gear. We have a goodwill budget but my DW is an expert in bargain hunting. She is on 3 facebook markets in 2 different cities. We also got our TD booster so we can hold our new grand baby. Even i am starting to get excited for this baby to be here. DD#1 is past ready.

More later, David

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

diane S.
on 11/24/17 11:47 am

Hey Dave sounds like a fun holiday. Kids are fun at celebrations. Congrats on the expected new grand kids. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/25/17 3:37 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

So exciting to have a grandchild. There is no one under 20 in any of our immediate or extended families so holidays are pretty staid... We keep hoping someone will get married and have a child (current bets are on my eldest nephew who is very much in love with his GF).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

CC C.
on 11/24/17 6:33 am

Weight 167.8, calories estimated 1326 (a thousand of that dinner and pie. Gulp! But yum!)

Good morning all...

I cooked yesterday and it all went off without a hitch! I set labeled alarms for everything in my iPad (when things go in the oven, come out, when to prep something, when to preheat ovens, etc.). The family wanted to eat at 2pm and everything was ready right at 2. I love cooking for a crowd . All my mom's recipes were fabulous. I think she would have been proud, especially that just like her, I'm incapable of not ending up with way too many leftovers (it was like she was cooking for the Russian Army my dad always said). I'm happy to carry on the tradition...

I posted this out on the general forum thread about before and afters:

The after is yesterday while I was cooking. The before is about 20 pounds under my "start weight" with the VSG, but 7 months before surgery.

Not sure how we're going to spend today other than eating leftovers and NOT shopping, but it's always good to hang out with my Dad. I hope everyone enjoys their Friday!

diane S.
on 11/24/17 11:41 am

Love love love your pictures Cecily! And also your organization strategy for cooking. My DH has been using his iPad for all his eyedrops; timing the two minutes he has to close eyes. Works well. Glad you had a good day. DS

Shel25
on 11/24/17 6:43 am

Happy BF!

Paula, so glad your family had such a positive energy evening! I work today, too, but only 8 hours so I start at 9 instead of 7.

The 23 and me medical version is 99 dollars on Amazon. I bought 3. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing. At work, one of our mantras is "don't test if you don't know what you are going to do with results." I worry about a company having my DNA. Is this a bad idea for my daughter, in particular? I can sequester her results, in fact, she doesn't even have to know she has the medical version. But, I worry about freely giving away medical privacy that could have unknown implications in her future.

Thanksgiving was mostly ok for food. Restriction was working better than usual and the usual slider foods didn't slide as easily. I forced in some surgery stuff, anyway (made my tongue happy) and then had GERD at bedtime. Ick.

No gym class today but my body is asking for some home yoga today.

DianeS, I think Iowa and Nebraska play today? Sadly, someone has to lose.

Hug your skinny tight,

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/17 10:44 am

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone. YAY! I will say that hosting for just we "orphans" (there were only 4 of us) was pretty darn stress free. My BFF was a bear and a stress case. He was better after consuming about 3/4 of a bottle of wine, though. Ron had a small bit of it and BFF had the rest.

I am up .7 pounds today. Eh... can't complain.

I ate what I wanted and pretty much when I wanted so I never got "full" or uncomfortable. I did have two pieces of pumpkin pie over the evening. I love pumpkin pie and gave myself permission. Interesting to note that Ron is concerned about HIS weight and whining about how "fat" he is. He does not seem to be doing anything much about his eating, but damn if he isn't commenting about mine. What's that about? I never talk about his size, nor mine - especially to complain. I own my habits and my weight. I'm fully aware that I am overweight again because I have made choices - emotionally driven choices, yes, but choices nonetheless. The comments about my "sweet tooth" are getting old. It's taking much restraint not to point out the heaps he puts on his plate and the multiple hot chocolates that he drinks each day. Deep breaths, deep breaths! LOL!

No Black Friday shopping for this kid! No way, uh-uh! I did buy two staff (music) manuscript books for Ron for "stocking stuffer" type presents on line last night, but that's about it so far. I find little joy in holiday shopping anymore. I used to love it, but now not so much. I hate fighting for parking and the day time shoppers. I do like the thinner crowds, the festive feeling, and the decorations aglow when shopping after dark, so I do that instead. I find it much more pleasant to shop after 7:00 pm when most are home for dinner and family time.

Now to be creative with left overs and get meals planned for next week. Planning ahead is a strategy that I NEED to adopt, if I am going to get off the disordered eating wagon. It's really a must do when someone is as busy as I.

Best to all!

CC C.
on 11/24/17 12:37 pm, edited 11/24/17 4:38 am

Brené Brown wrote, ?We?re often motivated by a need to compare ourselves favorably with the people around us. We tend to judge others in areas where we feel most vulnerable or not good enough.?

I find this true of myself. I?m most critical of others about things I dislike about myself (not proud of it, but it?s true!). It sounds like Ron is projecting his feelings about his eating onto you rather than face his own issues. Don?t you just want to hold a mirror up when he?s doing that so it?s aimed at the right person?

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/25/17 3:27 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Ooh, that sounds very insightful.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

diane S.
on 11/24/17 11:39 am

Greetings Non-shoppers

Still at 140.5 and after yesterday I am thankful for that. We went to friends with all the good stuff. I had been worried lately that restriction had relaxed but it vigorously asserted itself yesterday. And I didn't eat all that much. But I did bring home a slice of fabulous pecan pie made by the evil dessert queen. It was a great time. One elderly man whom I have known for many years kept commenting (pleasantly) that I had lost some weight. Yikes, its been eight years! He had a stroke a year or so ago and has memory issues. I was fine with it and thought it was cute but I think his wife was concerned about him.

Sounds like everybody had great holidays. So many ways to do the event and all are good. BB, you did it "your" way and who cares what the others think. I am with you. Helpers are not really helpful sometimes. My pet peeve was alway my SIL showing up with lots of food that I didn't expect. I would have cooked less if I had known and then I had to figure out how to accommodate it at the last second. I like Devon's idea. That may be my Halloween costume next year!

Paula, glad you had some family unity. Kids may be reaching some level of maturity. DH's family likes to play games and music.

Shel, yep Nebraska and Iowa go at it today. I am pretty sure the Cornhuskers will lose but oh well. I have good memories of Iowa City from when I went to college at nearby Grinnell. And I have been thinking about the DNA gift for DH and myself. I have always thought I would like to know if I had a bad gene for medical so I would address it.

Thanks for the advice Ann on the healthy choice bowls. I am going to get some. Worth a trip to town to the discount grocery.

Devon, I hear ya about whining spouses who won't take action. My DH and I sort of have an unspoken truce about the stuff that bugs us about the other and we leave it alone. I just gripe to others which is a competitive sport among women. "oh yeah, well do you know what MY husband did?..."

Good on everyone for not shopping. I say that as a participant in two small art galleries that depend on local patronage. We do have a pretty strong "shop local" mentality here which helps. Its amazing what cool stuff you can find with that attitude.

Well I think I will stay in my warm pajamas and watch football in them. Have a peaceful day all. Diane S