VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Friday, October 19,...

Friday, October 19, 2018

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/19/18 1:23 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Weight 121.2, calories 792. I feel like I have been losing then regaining the same 2 pounds for the last month. Sigh - clearly my body has a new set point, but I'm still going to try and drop it again once in Florida and a more "controlled" environment.

It is 4:20 am and I've been awake since 3:15. It is going to be a LONG day with the travel and 3 hour time zone change. DH was up and down all night so that doesn't bode well either.

I'm sitting with Justice in front of the gas fireplace - I didn't think I'd have time for that this morning so that's a plus of being up early.

Have a fantastic Friday!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

VSGAnn2014
on 10/19/18 4:16 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Weight: 135.2
Macros: Cals - I don't know ... but it was good!
Sleep hours: 9
Vegetable/Fruit Servings: None! And that might be a first. ;)
Exercise: None
Meditation: Yes

Well, yesterday was an unusual day in that I didn't have a single veggie or fruit. Instead, for lunch I had pasta carbonara with bacon and Sicilian sausage and a nice Barbieri with Italian bread. Last night for dinner I had the leftovers. Damn, it was even better than at lunch! And then I slept 9 hours. Pasta does that to me ... much more effective than Ambien. Oh, well ... life is hard. :)

And now to the hiatal hernia consultation. My surgeon said he can probably (50-80%) improve my reflux situation by doing a hiatal hernia repair. But if that doesn't work, he can do a gastric bypass. I reacted to the bypass idea with a definite, "No, thank you!" and made some off-hand comment about already being too skinny, at which point he looked over his glasses at me and said in the strongest possible way: "You are NOT too skinny. You are perfect!"

Yes, my surgeon says I am perfect! That may have been why I floated out of his office feeling like Sophia Loren and drove to the best Italian restaurant in town to dine on carbonara. :)

Back to the consultation: Since I've been fixated on the potential for GERD/reflux to lead to Barrett's Syndrome and esophageal cancer, although my surgeon didn't seem worried about that scenario he did agree that our next step to ease my mind should be an endoscopy. That will likely happen in November, after which I'll probably have the hiatal hernia repair.

BTW, I also asked him to opine on negative outcomes from long-term PPI usage, and he said I've not been taking PPIs long enough (only four years) to worry about that. He said the main thing he stays alert to in that realm is kidney damage.

BTW, I've been invited to my CPA's home tonight for dinner ... where the menu is Italian. Oh, well ... life is hard. ;)

Today's theme: I am perfect! :)

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Shel25
on 10/19/18 4:34 am

Love that: you are perfect!

I like your methodical approach of weighing your various options. I hate the idea of RnY, too....but mostly because So Much Hassle! Been there, done (most of) that.

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Miss150
on 10/19/18 4:45 am

Ann, you are (always have been, always will be) perfectly PERFECT!

(one of my favorite Picasso subjects) Your post instantly brought this to mind--Picasso channeling Ann.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/19/18 4:52 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Wise surgeon: you are perfect!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Shel25
on 10/19/18 4:22 am

Good morning,

Peps, I am thinking about you and Ron this morning. Hugs all around. I am sure it was a restless night.

Hugs to the rest of you, too. Liz, safe travels!

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

brownblonde
on 10/19/18 8:37 am

Liz-sorry to hear you were up so early, and same with DH

Ann-I'm glad you asked those questions. I was going to go ahead and bit the bullet and get colonoscopy/upper GI but got pregnant instead. I've been taking PPI since surgery--about 8 years. And if I try to go without it, even for a few hours, it's bad news. I'm not so concerned because there's been no real change in that department since surgery, and surgery seems to be the very plausible answer. And while PPI's aren't great (I think my sister also said there's concerns about dementia + PPI), I'm under the idea that it's better to control acid reflux than not. But I guess the thing I don't have an answer to is whether anything can be done to correct/reverse reflux caused by VSG surgery if that is, as I suspect, the root/primary/only cause.

Weight: 168.6. There it is :( I'm definitely going to have to be more careful about my weight this time around. The fact that I'm ravenous all day makes me think perhaps I NEED to try to eat more of those whole foods WW is pushing. They aren't as convenient and take more thought/time to prepare. But I need to carve out that time. Maybe make some light deviled eggs to start the week. More of my egg sous vide bites. I still totally dislike yogurt so that's not help. String cheese with my fruits. Maybe peanut butter for a better fat-filling.

Part of the other problem (and yet another reason I should probably go to gastro) is I'm so afraid of veggies and some beans these days. I definitely can't eat raw peppers or spinach. Other greens are touch and go. Snap peas? And last time I ate hummus even with crackers, it gave me that terrible bloating effect. Maybe there's a way to test them out one at a time. Gosh, I used to could eat everything

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/20/18 7:56 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I find hummus extremely difficult even though I love it. It almost has a laxative effect which sometimes is a plus but weird I think... Yogurt satisfies my sweet tooth but it does nothing to fill me up. I need to figure out how to make egg bites.

It is hard being at someone else's home without supplies. The coffee is different and I'm going to have to wing it for breakfast. I don't think I've visited in someone else's home since surgery.

CC C.
on 10/19/18 9:10 am

Having a reset day. I have to reign myself in. It's gotten bad...

Thinking about Devon and Ron today and hoping for a full recovery.

Liz, have a safe trip to your other home!

Ann, my hiatal hernia repair in December was a snap and I hope yours is just as easy. I went from choking on acid if I didn't take a PPI to maybe needing a Tums once a week if I take my vitamins too close to bedtime. I didn't even use the pain pump in the hospital. Totally worth it.

Happy Friday!

brownblonde
on 10/19/18 9:35 am

Devon, I am so so sorry to hear about Ron. Prayers that everything turns out okay. Take care of yourself too. Love