VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Sunday, November 12...

Sunday, November 12, 2023

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/12/23 5:18 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Greetings from Siesta Key. It was a beautiful day yesterday and hopefully will be similar today. We had a good visit with my long-term friends on the way here, then had dinner with other friends in Siesta Key. Lots of good camaraderie. And good food ;)

Time to get ready for Sunday breakfast out. It is DH's tradition mimicking the Sunday breakfasts he enjoyed growing up.

Have a sunny Sunday!

DiamondD
on 11/12/23 11:46 am
VSG on 06/13/12

It is sunny here, but not nearly as warm as where you are! Although we have been offered hope of another 60 degree day this week, so the forecast says. Maybe I should get out my sandals again?

Yesterday was a no stress day, we went out for coffee, then returned home, and I did some reading. Later we went grocery shopping, played with the smoker to infuse our old fashioneds, and watched Fall of the House of Usher. I loved all the references to Poe, both in the names ,Fortunado, Lenore, Annabelle, Rue Morge, and actual quotes. Starting with Pink Floyd's just another brick in the wall ~ a sly reference to The Cask of Amontillado, where Fortuna do gets walled up alive, deep in Montressors catacombs? It was certainly creepy (we watched 2 episodes), but I was able to deal :)

I am puttering around in my office, and found All The Light We Cannot See. I read the last 50 pages to see if the ending was as good as I remembered. It was. This book is so lyrical.

I will continue to putter in my office/extra closet/guest room. Thanksgiving is coming, my son will need the bed. Can't wait! And I need to assess my clothes again. There must be more I can part with... Making it easier to find the things I do want to wear.

I'm in another period of the scale not moving. Sigh. Wegovy is not a miracle drug for me. But again, I couldn't lose at all on my own. I'll be happy to be done with this. 4 pounds from my first goal. I won't be thin, but I should be in a place that's not impossible to maintain. We'll see how far I can go beyond that. My prescription lasts until April. I will have met the loss needed to continue, but I'll probably stop then. I don't have big side effects, so I'm lucky. But eating so little really saps my energy. Wegovy coupled with WW is working very nicely for DH.

diane S.
on 11/12/23 1:01 pm

DD Keep watching Usher. There are more references to Cask of the Amontillado and other Poe stores. It's fun to play "Spot the Poe". There are likely more that I have missed due to not having read enough Poe. Our next episode is Pit and Pendulum. ds

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

DiamondD
on 11/12/23 1:16 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

Makes me think I should read Poe more widely.

diane S.
on 11/12/23 1:49 pm

If you want to cheat like I did, there is a Poe website that lists his stories and a summary of each with a link to the story. Still trying to figure out one episode and which story it came from. ds

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/13/23 5:20 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Sorry the Wegovy hasn't worked as well for you as for DH. It is amazing how drugs affect different people with such variation.

diane S.
on 11/12/23 3:22 pm

Greetings sll

This is an actual post and not just a drive by remark. We will watch the last two Fall of Usher tonight. I think DH would have watched them last night but I did not want to watch tv until midnight! As mentioned I googled Poe stories and looked at some summaries so I won't miss any references.

Siesta Key sounds great Liz. What the best key if you were only going to one? I would love to go to Key West but don't think I can deal with the airports. Lately I have been thinking about cruises that leave out of San Fran so we could get there in a reasonable time. Last cruise we took was Alaska out of Seattle and it took so long to get there.

So I made the safari to CVS today to get my coffee. Score! It was on sale so I got four bags. I don't drink more than two cups but I make it strong. Managed to get in and out of there without a meltdown. But I did buy a Cadbury chocolate bar. Also did the pet store as the pups need dog kibble to ignore. Spoiled.

DD hope your day is relaxing. Guess I am getting old because relax is most of what I do. Laundry awaits not to mention junk.

Not much else. It's a lovely fall day and the trees are turning. Mostly we have evergreens but there are a few others. Our pathetic butchered maple tree in front is turning but only the old leaves - the new ones it sprouted after the haircut are still green. Weird.

And the Big Bear Lake eagles are back at the nest and busy with construction. Hoping for eggs in January.

Chicken curry tonight. Cheers. Diane S

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/13/23 5:26 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I used to love reading Poe though it has been a long time. I will have to try the series.

Siesta Key is not actually in the Keys - it is just south of Sarasota. Key West is good for a day or a couple of days but is too much of a drinking town in my mind. We like the other Keys south of Miami for a longer stay. Marathon and Key Largo are very nice - the other keys are generally smaller but great for a stay of a week or more because they are quiet.

CC C.
on 11/12/23 5:02 pm

A puppy has been picked! I go get him on Monday the 20th. There were two left, Pumpkin and Chestnut. Both totally adorable. Pumpkin was described as a medium energy more outgoing puppy and Chestnut is the calmest/quietest boy in the litter. I explained that I do enjoy walking and hiking, but I am in my 50s and will have him into my 60s if I'm lucky and being single, maybe Chestnut would fit best if he seems like an affectionate boy. I explained how Fergus was very independent, not cuddly, not a door greeter, not interested in petting, and if he were human, would likely have been on the spectrum. So a pup not opposed to some cuddling would be nice! The other family getting a boy has kids, so we all decided Chestnut was the better fit for me and Pumpkin for them.

Chestnut likes to be around people more than exploring on his own. Cuddly, but not clingy. Calmest and quietest, but still a puppy. Best physical conformation of the litter. He'll be very blocky headed. Here he is:

She facetimed me with both and he could not have been happier to be held and just melted in her arms. Very easy going.

Still on the hunt for names. I imagine it's like naming kids - everyone has an opinion and they aren't afraid to tell you when they don't like one! Some I'm mulling are Moose, Oliver, Toby, Fozzie, Jasper, Oliver, Stanley, Augie...

I'm open to ideas!

DiamondD
on 11/12/23 8:17 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

Oh my heart, what a face!!! Love how it worked out, sounds like a great fit for you and puppy. Time to kick getting ready for puppy into high gear!