VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Wednesday, November...

Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/22/23 5:09 am, edited 11/22/23 5:10 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

We arrived in Falmouth Jamaica this morning. We aren't sure what we will do here as we didn't book an excursion but we will probably walk around the town at minimum.

This ship has around 4200 passengers as compared to the 100 on Windstar. So a LOT of people. But we haven't felt crowded too much - the busiest place is the large cafeteria style restaurant which we went to for breakfast the first day. We tried the main dining room for breakfast yesterday and it was not as good as the cafeteria style. Very slow and my food wasn't very good. My meal came way before DH's so I had finished eating quite a bit before his food showed up.

I am not sure the kids like this better than the prior cottage rentals. The 15 year old just wants to be with his friends so is hanging out in the room a lot on his phone. Both grandchildren are very shy so won't venture out where there are other kids to meet or try activities like surfing, etc. so I am not sure the cruise worked as DH expected. But yes, our rooms are spread out so we get some good buffer space at night. It certainly is very different on this ship vs the small one. You don't get to know any of the other passengers or any of the crew. On our Windstar cruise all the help knew our name and we had the opportunity to really get to know other passengers as well as the crew.

Welcome Kirby!!! Too bad there was a rough start from a cleanup perspective but that is in the past. He looks like an adorable little guy.

Time to get moving. Have a welcoming Wednesday!

CC C.
on 11/22/23 9:58 am

I was on Crystal Cruises (they went bankrupt in 2022, but got bought by Abercrombie and Kent and are sailing again). I think there were 340 people on ours? A really good size. Big ship, lots to do, great food and lots of restaurants, but it felt like very few people. You don't feel like you're battling the hordes for meals or deck chairs.

DiamondD
on 11/22/23 10:05 am
VSG on 06/13/12

When we cruised with our teenagers, they hung out with us. ( We went on a big family cruise for my parents 50th wedding anniversary). DS was 15 I think, and in many ways, DH was his best friend at this time in his life. So DH was used to doing things with him like playing minigolf or basketball on the ship. Clearly it's been awhile since we cruised with our children. Back then, any cell phone texts, calls, etc at sea or out of the country were outrageous. Everyone's phone was powered down as we set sail, and not turned on until we returned. So our kids definitely did not want to stay in the cabin :) with a book as pretty much the only entertainment.

DH went to work today to do his part time shift, while I went back to sleep when he left. Glorious! I woke up at 8:30 am, left to buy some last minute grocery items around 9:45 am and was back to the house by 10:30 am. Yeah! DS should be here around 9pm, DD lands tomorrow at 8:30am.

I don't have to bring much for Thanksgiving, just Green Bean Hot Dish. I am not a canned soup in a casserole kind of cook, but I do follow this recipe pretty much exactly, with the cream of mushroom soup and Frenchs Fried Onions. Haute cuisine it is not, but sometimes this kind of comfort food is needed. Not bringing it to Thanksgiving, but I saw Kraft Macaroni in the blue box was on sale. I bought one. :) I probably do that one a year, and it really doe**** the spot when I eat it. Some highly processed foods just got it going on!

Oh, I guess I do need to make one other thing: vegetarian stuffing.

I also bought ingredients to make lasagna. Both kids love it, but I do need to make two pans, because DS likes his best with meat, and DD is a vegetarian. I think I'll make those Friday morning and have them on hand for whenever they want to eat.

The house is decorated about 50% of what I normally do. That's where we landed. What's important is the Stair rail garland and the tree. Those bring the lights, which I find to be the most cheery part.

2 pounds from my pre Tomaxifen weight. As slow as I lose, and with increased eating opportunities, I hope to get there by Christmas. Then, in the New Year, I'll see how much further I can go. The Wegovy is approved through April.

CC C.
on 11/22/23 10:34 am

I love green bean casserole! My grandmother (who had a housekeeper who cooked for them), couldn't and didn't cook as a general rule. But at Thanksgiving, she made that and my dad thought it was the best thing she'd ever made. So we have it at Thanksgiving when I cook!

DiamondD
on 11/22/23 12:59 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

It would seem it's a classic for a reason :) I see fancier renditions where you make your own cream sauce and onions, and while that also sounds good, it's not the green bean casserole we know and love!

CC C.
on 11/22/23 3:25 pm, edited 11/22/23 7:25 am

That would be sacrilege! I remember my mom telling my dad his mother?s green bean casserole recipe was on the side of the soup can. The betrayal! But it has stood the test of time!

https://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/newsroom/campbells-histo ry/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-green-bean-casserole/

diane S.
on 11/22/23 3:52 pm

Greetings all

The sun was out this morning but is now sulking. Morning sun is probably why I woke up early. I had a dream last night about cleaning out my mother's house. DH said I was talking in my sleep. Not a pleasant dream but it's all over long ago.

Kirby Kirby Kirby! We want to hear about Kirby! Whats he up to?

Liz thats a huge cruise ship! Three of them would be our whole town! Hope there is some family fun. I assume they have a pool to sit around.

CC thanks for the link to green bean casserole history. Oddly, our family did not have that and I didn't know about it until I was in college. Deprived childhood. But in the midwest it's a church basement supper staple. I think we always had plain vegetables. Crazy Pat always undercooked them so cauliflower was hard as a rock.

It occurred to me this morning that a Thanksgiving meal could be just turkey, gravy and stuffing. Thats the best stuff. I was talking to my brother last night and he said we always had the best stuffing when we were growing up. I had to break it to him that it was pepperage farms seasoned stuffing bread cubes with a stick margerine melted in. Don't think he knew that.

DD enjoy the day with family. Sounds like the cruises with your kids had the right idea, No phones.

Spent some time at the studio today. All is well. Found out that the toilet overflowed big time yesterday. Glad I was not there to deal with it.

I got a roasted chicken breast from the deli yesterday. Today's afternoon snack was some slices of it cold with a bit of mayo. A good snack indeed. Plus it will be tonights dinner.

Peps I bet those puppies are rocking and rolling by now. Enjoy.

Diane S

P.S' Answer this question: I am 72 years old so why do I have a giant zit?

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CC C.
on 11/22/23 5:18 pm

What isn't Kirby up to, DianeS! He's feeling more confident in his new environment and putting absolutely everything in his mouth. I have had to put a fence around two chairs in the living room as they have bullion fringe all along the bottom. They are temporary from my dad's house until my new furniture comes. After I fenced those he moved onto the rug fringe. I lost count of his potty accidents in the house today. I know to take him out every 1/2 hour, after eating, after play, and after waking up from a nap. He's now decided he doesn't want to go outside because I have to leash him. He wants to lay down and chew plants, eat the 30 million rocks that make up the garden or try to eat the artificial grass. Since he puts on the skids when I try to walk him on a leash (I don't pull, just try to get him to follow), I have to carry him and it's hard to open a heavy slider with a 13 pound puppy in your arms. And my back is spasming from carrying him. Then we get out there and he won't go. So we come back in and he wees then. Argh! No poop in the house yet though. Perhaps he's showing me mercy after that carrier incident. But aside from all that, he is the sweetest puppy! Playful, loving, loves to be petted, good in all ways except things all puppies do until they learn the rules.

I fell asleep on the couch while he was napping and woke up shouting no and lunging because in my dream he was weeing on the rug! So real...

So, it's a huge challenge and I forgot how hard this part is. I'm open to advice!

Take care all and have happy thanksgivings!

DiamondD
on 11/22/23 7:15 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

They are so absolutely adorable, but, whew! you're helping me remember what puppy hood is all about! And I had 2 kids at home to help me when we brought our lab puppy home. God speed CC, totally exhausting, and totally worth it.

Will your folks come to stay in January? Do they bring their dogs?

CC C.
on 11/23/23 6:27 am, edited 11/22/23 10:27 pm

Their dogs have passed away so there was lots of encouragement from them for me to get one so they can "have one" without being responsible for it!