VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Friday, December 8,...

Friday, December 8, 2023

Peps
on 12/8/23 9:01 am

Look at me! First to post this glorious Friday morning.

Rain yesterday, but clear skies, ice and frost this morning. Yes, California does have real winter weather - even if we lack snowfall in my area.

Weight is staying just below panic level. That's really no claim to fame, but it is what it is. I think, like Diane S., my mojo for actual weight loss and change is lacking. My pleased though that I at least understand the mental psycho crap my brain is doing to keep in this stage of the cycle. Understanding is one thing. Taking action, enacting change is an entirely different one!

Have dog shows this weekend. Both days show times are early and the show site is 70 plus miles away. I'm not feeling the early morning love at the moment. I'm also having some weird feelings about switching to showing one of Blitz's kids rather than showing Blitz. I want to get his kids out there, but I don't believe he's "done" with showing yet. I know I'm personifying, but I do know he'll be jealous when I start going to shows with Molly and he stays home.

It's ugly sweater day at the show tomorrow. That's going to be a hoot. Dog people are not always the best dressed, but they do love their dress up themes. Tomorrow's attires should provide lots of amusement.

Hope all goes well today with all who follow!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/8/23 9:17 am, edited 12/8/23 2:23 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I am sure you will enjoy the shows if not the early mornings. LOL on thinking that Blitz will be bummed out.

I am feeling blue today - I don't know why except I have been having hip/knee pain which is probably related. Hopefully it will heal eventually as I think it started with that major butt bruise on the boat a few weeks ago.

My eldest step-DD had been taking responsibility for her Aunt who had burned through all other relatives, but whose health had deteriorated until she needed a liver transplant (genetic disease). Her Aunt just passed away so DD has a lot of work to deal with a complex financial situation including a house encumbered by many liens. At least her Aunt didn't linger too long in pain.

DH has made arrangements to paint the former house inside, replace bathroom fixtures, replace the bedroom carpets and replace the roof. Hopefully all will pay off in an early 2024 sale (finally). Too bad the former broker didn't suggest any staging because we would have done these things 7 months ago. The roof was a surprise but we should be able to sell with a signed contract to replace it in place.

Going with DH for a carotid scan to add to the stress test he had yesterday. Lots of running around. Have a fine Friday!

CC C.
on 12/8/23 10:57 am

I ended up downloading a puppy app to track all his activities and tinkles. He slept through the night for the first time last night. Today from waking at 6:25 until now (11:50) he has peed NINE times, two of those accidents. So. Much. Pee! He's a pee machine. He's asleep right now, but soon he'll get up to pee again, then lunch, then pee again. Endless.

Puppy class wasn't all that informative yesterday. His classmate wasn't there, so it was just us and the trainer, who went on a long monologue about all she did when picking up her puppy from the breeder. Irrelevant! She is older and has bred and shown dogs all her life. She did say she thought if I wanted to show Kirby, he would do very well. Lots of talk over my head about the nitty gritty of his form and lines...

No plans for today other than tracking Kirby's every minute. I'll find the common threads if it kills me!

Take care friends!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/8/23 1:11 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Maybe his need to pee a lot is why Peps said that goldens tend to potty train late? Maybe their bladders need more time to mature?

Peps
on 12/8/23 3:04 pm

Golden pups also tend to be very "busy". Their attention is often on things other than body function and the need to pee for a pup can come suddenly and with urgency. If Kirby is a busy boy, my guess he's not anticipating his need and the urge comes on suddenly. As he gets older he'll develop his tell, which will probably be a subtle sniffing for the perfect spot type of behavior. I know that puppies who walk with head down, smelling, are usually ready to go!

I remember years ago working with a Golden pup and his owner just stunned when I told her he needed to go outside to go potty. She took him out and he pottied. Every dog has a tell. His was a look at the human followed by a sniff walk.

Several of my little five week old puppy girls suddenly stop, freeze and then squat. When it's time, they are going to be really easy to get house broken. I hope one of them is one I keep! LOL

Peps
on 12/8/23 3:10 pm

It might be worth doing a urinalysis on Kirby. Urinating 9 times in a matter of 5.5 hours is not that alarming, but maybe a little more than i would anticipate. If he does have a UTI you can treat it and the training will go much more smoothly.

CC C.
on 12/8/23 3:13 pm

He drinks a ton of water too. We are up to 11 outside pees and 6 accidents. So 17 times in about 10 hours. He's gone through about 6 cups of water.

Peps
on 12/8/23 3:17 pm

That's a lot of water, too. I do think a urinalysis would be a good idea. He may have a rare condition that happens when puppies over drink water. It's easy to reset by restricting water. But in essence it is this thing where they kind of blow up their normal kidney funciton and start peeing tons of dilute urine. We hada puppy with that. A week of water restriction corrected the problem and he was good to go.

CC C.
on 12/8/23 3:27 pm

Thank you as always, Peps! I called the vet's office. They are going to check with the vet and get back to me!

diane S.
on 12/8/23 2:06 pm

Greetings all

Early check in for me on this sunny sparkly day. It is indeed a California blue bird day crisp and sunny. I will take it. More rain soon.

So I am preparing myself for a trip to the health food grocery. For some reason they are having a 25% off sale for a couple of days. No clue why but I am going to hit it. Their stuff is kind of expensive overall so worth the effort. Plus I am out of my favorite hummus.

Enjoy the shows Peps. I think you should show Blitz if you feel like it. Molly can wait a bit. Always more shows in your area. Do you have an ugly sweater entry? Speaking of dog show dress, I was once defeated in the classes by a girl that I swear was wearing a shower curtain!

Yeah I am feeling mojo deficient. Lately I have been fondly thinking of the early years after WLS and how I felt light as a feather and so dang good. I parked the car at the far end of any parking lot just because I could. I did all kinds of stuff that is unthinkable now. Hard to discern how much of it is due to weight regain and how much is due to being old. Bone and muscle loss is real and to all you younger people take action to avoid it. I am still doing my treadmill walks and I do feel better for it. Should have done this sooner. Oh well, I cannot turn back time. I have always been a forward thinking person so thinking about the good old days is sort of new to me. Also thinking about mashed potatoes. Typical double think: hate my fat and what can I eat?

DD I have been doing the walks on the treadmill for a couple of months. Works because I don't leave the house and there are handles so I don't fear falling.

CC I swear male pups pee all the time. My friend used to wonder where her dog got all the pee because he never ran out of it. Methinks he is just young. Babies pee all the time. I am going to try to send you a video of Walter, one of our pups, who is well trained. But his owner spends all her time training him. Cute anyway.

Liz I looked at that ice machine. Very cool (LOL). Hope it works. Reminds me I should get out my paraffin bath for hands.

DH had lunch out and brought back part of a one person pizza. Pepperoni which I don;t like. I can resist it.

Well time to buck up and go to the store. Bet it will be packed.

Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/