VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Martin Luther King ...

Martin Luther King Day, Monday, January 15, 2024

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/15/24 4:16 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I guess a lot of people have today off? DS and DD both have a holiday today though it seems like other businesses are open. No mail though.

I have a thyroid ultrasound and thyroid blood tests this morning after the CT scan on my shoulder revealed large enough thyroid nodules to take a closer look. Oh and I have to find a dentist to fix a chipped lower front tooth which broke on essentially nothing. Sometimes it feels like everything is starting to fall apart.

DS is cooking a pork tenderloin tonight after we attend a presentation on some animal sanctuaries around here.

Thats the plan between the rain drops. The forecast for today and tomorrow is high 70's with showers, then Wednesday will be sunny but with a high close to 60. Really weird weather pattern. I do hope it moderates by the time DD comes to Florida.

Have a moving Monday!

DiamondD
on 1/15/24 10:12 am
VSG on 06/13/12

We never have students on MLK day, but sometimes we have a professional development day. Not this year, we have it off. In Minnesota, if you're having PD, it has to effect something about MLK, Civil Rights etc. One year, they used our PD money to take us all to a special showing of the movie Selma, and afterwards we had a panel of people who had worked in the Civil Rights movement of the 60s. One of my favorite PD days ever!

I have faith weather in Florida will be decent by the end of February. It will certainly be more welcoming than Minnesota weather. Last year we got really lucky for our quick getaway. It was sunny and in the low 90s during the day. Perfect pool weather.

Thanks for the hotel recommendation Liz, we will check it out.

Bright sun again today. It's very nice, even though, paradoxically it means very frigid temps. We are going to see the movie American Fiction this afternoon. I don't expect it to be freakadoodle like the last couple of movies I've seen.

Back at it tomorrow. A 3 day weekend sure feels good. I'll have another in February for President's Day, and then my own personal 5 day weekend February 24 - February 28. I can do this!!!

CC C.
on 1/15/24 10:37 am

A thank you to Peps for helping me last night when Kirby was melting down in his crate. Turns out he had to poop despite having just gone before going to bed! I felt bad for not realizing his distress was not a tantrum, but a nature call. He still got me up twice in the wee hours to potty again. I still think he's adjusting to more food volume.

He's been really good this morning. No biting and sweet. His first two front top teeth have fallen out and two new teeth are poking through. My big boy!

My Zepbound is supposed to come in today, but not sure if the holiday will scupper that. I've been reading up on suggestions with it and several suggested hanging on to your first month's supply for a month before starting in case of shortages, so you have a month's buffer. I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait. Other interesting things I read were people who had to go off because they felt too sick to continue and people who, horror of horrors, managed to gain or not lose at all. For that much money, I can't imagine. Lots of discussion of higher fat making some feel sick and tied to the bathroom, trouble getting protein in, taking it mid-afternoon so you sleep through the worst of the side effects by the time they kick in, etc. The encouraging part is the "food silence". No food noise cravings and even other addictive impulses going away. I would love to not hear the siren's call of food. At this point I am 65 pounds from the lowest end of my range and 50 from the high. Scary how it creeps up when you are ostriching. I still am slightly leery of this approach. Feels like a form of a get rich quick scheme and there is a catch somewhere.

Warming up here. 55 today and not too cold at night. Yay!

Take care all and hope you have good days!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/15/24 11:14 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Hopefully it won't be too cold at the end of the month!

DiamondD
on 1/15/24 3:28 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

My WLS clinic has me on 2 doses of Omeprizole. I take one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Sleeves are notorious for reflux, and these meds can also create excess acid. It has worked very well for me. I also approached my initial Wegovy eating as though I had a new sleeve. I didn't take a lot of chances. I've never had terrible reflux, vomited, or had what people call sulphur burps. I do sometimes have constipation, but I had worse bouts after my sleeve. I also have experienced diarrhea, but never an emergency type situation. I do okay with some fat. I ate pizza yesterday, no problem.

Do you have to go up dose strength every 4-8 weeks with Zepbound? The problem isn't having a gap between prescriptions at the beginning, but it could be a problem at higher doses. Where I'm at, if I go without a refill for more than 2 weeks, I would need to start over at the lowest dose and work my way back up. But if you have a gap at the lowest dose, you just restart at the lowest dose. I took Wegovy for 6 weeks, then went on my cruise and took 2 weeks off because I was afraid I might get nauseous sailing, and I didn't want to add anything else to my motion sick prone system. Now there would be some thought that you want to keep progressing on schedule so it builds up.

Hope it all goes well for you! I definitely felt appetite suppression right from the beginning.

CC C.
on 1/15/24 3:40 pm

It's a month at 2.5mg, a month at 5mg, and your doctor can increase as needed monthly or you can stay the same (other doses are 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15mg). I guess you don't want to max out too quickly.

I definitely feel the need to brush off my dusty VSG eating rules.

I still haven't told my dad or his wife. At some point I likely will - they'd see the extra shots in the fridge, but I really don't want their policing my eating or making a big deal out of it.

DiamondD
on 1/15/24 6:00 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

My BFF is with us this month, but I have not told her. She knows my DH is using the med, so that explains all the Wegovy in the fridge. DH feels like people are oh, good for you, and he tells anyone who's interested. He feels its unfair, but he thinks women get judged differently, and so he has supported my privacy. If people notice something about my eating, I just blame it on my sleeve acting up. If you didn't want to discuss it, could you store it in a bag or something? I did that when DH and I were on different doses, I kept mine in a Panera take out bag, in case there were looky loos in my fridge. I also didn't want to tell people either in case it didn't work. It feels so vulnerable to "try again" after so many diet failures. And I never feel guilty about not sharing. If I'm not confident you will be an ally, that's on you. That isn't to say people who aren't allies are uncaring. But if they haven't been in our shoes, it's hard to understand what we're up against. Now, you all on the other hand, get to hear all about, all the time.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/16/24 5:06 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Yeah, having someone else think they are helping by policing one's eating can definitely have the exact opposite effect.

CC C.
on 1/15/24 1:30 pm

Since my life seems to revolve around dog poop these days, Kirby has worms! Fecal sample at the vet and waiting for identification and medication. The little pooper!

DiamondD
on 1/15/24 3:30 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

Liz when will you get the results about the thyroid testing?