pre-op 2 week diet....questions...

Jamie S.
on 4/17/07 1:25 pm - Auburn, IA
Hey all, I go to my surgeon's office in about a week and I know we will go over this but I'm wondering what this 2 week diet entails. I know not all surgeons require them and the reason mine wants it done is so the liver can be shrunk in order to manuever better inside the belly laproscopically. Is it an all liquid diet? Can you eat any food? Would like to know what other people's pre-op journey was like. Surgery is May 16th!!! Take care! --Jamie
Brenie
on 4/18/07 12:50 am - Abita Springs, LA
it is all clear liquids you can have sugar free popsicles, sugar free jello, chicken and beef broth, crystal ligh****er, and protein shakes, for ours and keep the calories down to between 500 to 600. I hope this helps you a little. good luck with your surgery. Mine is on May 7th.
Poohgal
on 4/18/07 1:45 am - Southeast, OH
My doctor wants the day before to clean me out. I start milk of magnesia (spelling) noon the day before. Man will May 4th ever get here? I'm so ready to start the rest of my life.
Mrs. SmartiePants
on 4/18/07 7:37 am
I've been on Optifast since yesterday (2wks before surgery) and I wish I could say it's going good...but it's not! I'm definitely struggling to finish my glasses. It's just so gross, the smell, the aftertaste, everything.
Schatzi G.
on 4/18/07 7:41 am - Litchfield, IL
Hi Jamie.. My doctor has me on that diet for the same reasons. I ordered a product called "Nectar" from www.bariatricadvantage.com .. I is very high in protein and very low in carbohydrates. I have 4 of them a day, the nectar is fruit flavored and mix in water, then I have Matrix 5.0 from the same company. That can be chocolate, vanilla and I believe strawberry flavor and can mix in milk or water. I have the chocolate and it is wonderful. Then you can have unlimited amounts of sugar free drinks, such as crystal light, sugar free kool aid, propel water, sugar free popsicles, and then one serving of strained cream soup made with water. Also 6-8 oz of tomato juice or v8 or diet v8 splash.. Hope this helps... I find that the matrix and nectar taste good so that is helping me..
grammymel
on 4/18/07 8:59 am - Bolivar, OH
I will start that on May 14th. It is my understanding it will be Optifast and it comes in soups, puddings, shakes and bars. As for taste, can't help you there. But it will only be for 2 weeks. I've found some good protein --from unjury.com. Very little aftertaste. Does anyone else have a good protein? Good luck with your surgery. Mel
cheri24iv
on 4/18/07 12:18 pm - Hamilton, NY
OMG Im not alone! No one has told me a thing regarding pre or post-op diets! I read on line last night that post is a 6 week liquid for lap band! Is this true? anyone?
Schatzi G.
on 4/19/07 9:47 am - Litchfield, IL
Cheryl, the best thing is to ask your doctor, I am having the lapband on May 1st, I am on my 2 week liquid's before, then I will have 2 weeks of liquids, then 2 weeks of blended food, then he says I should be able to start eating very small portions of solids at 4 weeks. The reason for before is to shrink the liver since the surgery is laproscopic this will help so that they do not lacerate the liver. The reason he told me for the liquid diet afterwards is to give the stomach time to heal and to reduce swelling. My doctor says that they do not even fill the band until 6 weeks after surgery, that way all the swelling should be gone.. I hope this helps .... Good luck, I wish you the best...
cheri24iv
on 4/19/07 10:22 am - Hamilton, NY
You're awesome!!!! I had to go to a couple of sites last night to check. That is exactly what the sites said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should write a book for us! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JMerth
on 4/18/07 12:30 pm - Hudson, PA
I just started my 2 wk diet yesterday & mine is for the same reason. I'm required to drink liquid protien drinks (low fat, low carb & low sugar) 3-4 times a day I am also allowed a serving salad with vegetables & non fat dressing preiodicaly when I get sick of the shakes but not more than once a day, until the day before surgery then only liquids that day the nothing after midnight. It's ok but I gotta tell you not very fond of the shakes but it's worth it to be able to have the surgery so all I gotta say is hang in there & best of luck to you. your friend Jen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anybody out there?
Mrs. SmartiePants · 0 replies · 578 views
5years!! Anyone there?
Donna W. · 4 replies · 1218 views
5 years out
juliathomas · 2 replies · 1186 views
It's been TOOO Long, HI GUYS!!!
Jamie S. · 2 replies · 958 views