SHORT FUSE?

John Harker
on 4/28/07 12:48 pm - Loves Park, IL
IS ANYONE ON OR BEEN ON THE 2 WEEK LIQUID DEIT AND BECAME SHORT FUSED? I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS WAY AND I HOPE I LOSE IT. I'M HOPING IT'S JUST THE DEIT!!! THANKS, JOHN
T.Rob W.
on 4/28/07 1:27 pm - Charlotte, NC
John, I haven't been on the liquid diet but I often wonder about whether it messes with blood sugars. Both my kids are diabetic and I know that they both can become quite irritable when their sugars are messed up. Frankly, I'm surprised that people on liquid diets do not get loaner blood sugar monitors. Especially when I hear about people who are able to stop all diabetes meds in the hospital the day after surgery. People in the support group meeting were amazed when they heard this but it doesn't seem like a mystery since the post-op patient on the liquid diet is getting a fraction of the calories they ate prior to surgery. In addition to the reduction in overall calories, there is a huge change in bowel activity to deal with. Common sense says that the body would have an adjustment period switching from solids to liquids. We also know that fiber tends to stabilize blood sugars, so a liquid diet, with corresponding reduction of fiber would seem likely to cause more volatile blood sugars. I have no medical training here other than raising diabetic kids but it just seems to make sense. If you have any diabetic friends (even if you think you don't, you probably do) you might ask them to help you check your blood sugar. If you find it's more then 20 points above or below 100 when you are having mood swings, it's worth talking to the doctor about. Some psyllium fiber pills may help even out the spikes and subsequent sugar lows, if your doctor says it's OK to take them. Good luck and let us know what you find. -- T.Rob
suvuvm
on 4/29/07 1:56 am - Charlotte, NC
John, I am on the two week diet as well. I have not noticed a mood change in me, but people around me tell me to stop being grouchy. All I can think is "you stop eating all of the sudden and tell me how you feel?" Other than that everything is well. We can hang in there and get through it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anybody out there?
Mrs. SmartiePants · 0 replies · 586 views
5years!! Anyone there?
Donna W. · 4 replies · 1234 views
5 years out
juliathomas · 2 replies · 1195 views
It's been TOOO Long, HI GUYS!!!
Jamie S. · 2 replies · 967 views