What Type of Surgery?

Purple_Sparkles
on 4/23/09 7:19 am
I know all your signatures will tell me what kind of surgery you are having. But thought it would be nice to make a thread about it. Lol

So What Type of Surgery are you having? Why did you choose it? What is your Goal?
Nichole05/29/09 Open RNY Surgery!!! On My WLS Journey!! 
Currently --115lbs as of 11/18/2009!!
iamfarfaraway
on 4/23/09 7:27 am - Charlotte, NC
RNY on 5-25

My Insurance only covers Lap Band and RNY

A couple of reasons
- Did not like the ideas of fills
- My Surgeon felt the Bypass was best for me and I trust him
- I have Asthma and take steroids now and then and steroids use can cause erosion on the band
- I have no issues taking vitamins for the rest of my life I already take most of them
- I know I can succeed with RNY

40 lbs lost pre-op

EOD WIFE
on 4/23/09 8:44 am - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
I'm having a RNY on 5-5.

I originally was thinking of doing the Lap~Band, but after the seminar with the doctor I changed my mind.

I didn't want to have to get a needle stuck in my tummy for the fills and have a foreign body inside me. I read that at some point down the road it would have to be removed(I have read the life of a band is not but about 6 years) and that is just another surgery.
I think the RNY will be a better option for my situation (Type ll Diabetes).
The weight loss is faster with the RNY.
The restriction with malabsorption is what I need to be successful.

They offer Lap~Band, VSG and RNY at the base hospital. My BFF is having the VSG a few weeks after I have my surgery. For her it was a good fit, she is on a lot of meds and the VSG is better for her situation.

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

buckscountybabe
on 4/23/09 11:58 am
I am having RNY - thought about the band, but my surgeon leans towards RN"y and when I researched the difference in weight loss for the first year I was sold.
wandac
on 4/23/09 2:14 pm - Advance, NC
I researched for a while and narrowed it down to RNY and the band.  In the beginning I was leaning more toward the lapband but the farther that I got into the process I realized that RNY is for me.  I agree with the other poster....I don't like the idea of the needle in my belly for the fills.....the thought alone does something to me!  LOL!!!  What I like about RNY is that I will see results faster which will help keep me motivated.  I also like that I will have the fear of dumping....I need something to keep me in line.  The fear of being sick will help that.....with a busy 5 year old I just don't want to have to deal with that.....especially if it's my own fault! 

Wanda

tinabug2
on 4/25/09 4:22 pm
my insurance doesn't pay for anything except the lapband and also I am an RN and I've seen too many complications with patients that has the RNY.  So reason two would be safety factor.
rose78
on 4/26/09 3:38 pm, edited 4/26/09 3:45 pm - san jose, CA
You  asked ...so please  do not get offended...

Was only offered RNY/labband with Kaiser... ended up choosing Duodenal switch after a battle with Kaiser and  my ULTIMATE  WIN   by   Dept of Managed Health Care  (DMHC) I will have my "choice" of WLS   not  Kaisers choice.  May 13, 2009 is my date!

I did not want  to  be  a diabetic like  my sisters,  I chose DS

I need NSAIDs for issues some unrelated to obesity. I chose DS

I did not  want  the chance to have the  possibility of regain and have a revision. I chose DS

I want to keep my pyloric valve and have full use of it. I chose DS

I did  not want the the remote chance of getting an ulcer in the closed off section of the remaining blind stomach... only to have surgery to  check it.
 you guessed  I CHOSE DS.

One more side note we make our own decisions on our health and that is why we are choosing  WLS  regardless of what TYPE of WLS we  have chosen for ourselves .I do not judge any one and I want us ALL to succeed on our  JOURNEYS to a healthier  and  hopefully happy lives.

My Goall  is to lose weight at a steady pace ..comply with the vit/suppliments/labs forever ..be a healhier person   & be active out side of my home,,
Most Active
Recent Topics
anyone on?
losing_it86 · 5 replies · 1394 views
NOTLosing
onyxmann · 5 replies · 1383 views
How is everyone?
EOD WIFE · 3 replies · 1256 views
132lbs gone!
thisxtooxshallxpass · 7 replies · 1120 views