Surgery on the 13th, gained 27 lbs by the 17th!

jasz
on 5/17/09 8:15 am - cedar rapids, IA
I had my surgery on the 13th, got home on the 17th.  I was sooo huge after the surgery, my belly was so hard and in so much pain.  I weighed myself when I got home to find I had gained 27 lbs!  Has anyone else had this out there?  I've only been drinking water or broth, so I don't think its real weight gain.  Any info appreciated.... thanks in advance!
iamfarfaraway
on 5/17/09 10:22 am - Charlotte, NC
Not that I have first hand experience but have seen lots of posts where people have gained weight because they are really pumping the liquids in you.  But I know I don't want to come home weighing more but I guess it is just part of the process.

Best wishes on your journey

40 lbs lost pre-op

jasz
on 5/17/09 10:27 am - cedar rapids, IA
Sandy B.
Thanks for the info.  I appreciate it!  And I'll be thinking of you on the 25th!  It'll be great!

Julie
Julie

aphrael
on 5/17/09 11:14 pm
I gained about 5 pounds in the hospital and it now gone.  They pump you with so many fluids to prevent dehydration that and your body is swollen from healing.  I think I only gained 5 because I was in the hospital less than 48 hours, you were in 4 days.  Give it a week and you should be down again.  If you are really concerned call your surgeon. 
EOD WIFE
on 5/18/09 1:11 am - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
I gained over 10 in the hospital. I think it is pretty normal to gain quite a bit from the fluids. It takes time to flush those fluids from the body. You have to remember everyone is different. Some take longer some lose faster. You cant base your situation on others, because we are all different.
Good Luck.

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

sheepla
on 5/18/09 4:40 am
One of many, many reasons I don' t own a scale.  Weigh-ins only at doctors' offices for me.

SW-272, CW-219, GW-175
5'9"

jasz
on 5/18/09 7:07 am - cedar rapids, IA
Thanks everyone!  I've lost more than 10 lb in the last 24 hrs, so I'm sure its just normal...it just seemed like a lot.

Julie

ellencarlos
on 6/1/09 2:03 am - Brevard, NC
I gained about 20 (all that I lost in the preop) and I was devastated.  I was in 4 nights.  The nurse at the hospital said it was fluids, but I still was so disappointed.  And of course, everyone I saw or talked to wanted to know how much I lost so far.  Fortunately, the nurse was right and at my 2 week post op appointment I had lost a total of 31 lbs.  I read a lot of material before surgery, but I did not recall anything about a gain!  Anyway, its okay now and its nice to know it wasn't just me.

Rosebud2
on 6/1/09 5:52 am
Whew you guys are making me feel better.  I got home and weighed more than when I checked in.  I'm still not losing.  31 pounds in two weeks???  Wowie.  Good for you.  I hope I see some movement in the next few days.

(23 prior to surgery)   

I'm 5'8"
The old broad

jasz
on 6/1/09 9:42 am - cedar rapids, IA

Wow! I'm so glad the fluids came off quickly for you!  I finally lost the fluid after I came home.  I'm still having a hard time keeping up with the recommended 1500- 2000cc of fluid intake though.

Good Luck to you!
Julie

Julie

Most Active
Recent Topics
anyone on?
losing_it86 · 5 replies · 1394 views
NOTLosing
onyxmann · 5 replies · 1382 views
How is everyone?
EOD WIFE · 3 replies · 1255 views
132lbs gone!