Anybody else's surgery at 1pm?

Kelle W
on 6/17/04 4:38 am - Atlanta, GA
I'm just wondering how in the heck I'm going to go that long without anything to drink...not eating is doable, but not drinking for 13 hours? How am I going to manage it??? Can you tell I've never had surgery before? Kelle
Katie T.
on 6/17/04 5:26 am - Sioux Falls, SD
You can do it, I had to option to have surgery at 1pm on monday or wait til tues and have surgery at 7am, needless to say I opted for tuesday. I would contact your dr office and see if you can do anything about that. I know that's along time without fliuds. Good luck to you. Katie
(deactivated member)
on 6/17/04 5:29 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I was wondering the same thing, because my surgery is scheduled for 12:30. I figure if I drink a lot of water before midnight I will be somewhat hydrated. I can go without the food, and I'm sure I'll be too nervous to think about food anyway. I'm more concerned about AFTER surgery when all I MIGHT get are ice chips. But then, I'll probably be so out of it that I won't really care. I'm guessing the IVs will keep me from getting dehydrated, so I'll only have to battle a dry mouth.
Julie 22
on 6/17/04 6:39 am - NC
I have had 10 various surgeries in the past. I am also hypoglycemic, so I have always requested first thing in the morning so that I didn't get sick before surgery. Luckily I have always gotten in before 9am. Maybe you could call & see if something earlier is available. If not, I would try to sleep as late as possible. I just found out that mine is schedule for 7am & I have to be there around 5am. Which means I will have to get up by 3:30am to get ready & make the 30 min. ride. Julie
Carolyn W.
on 6/18/04 12:16 am - DeSoto, TX
The trick is not to think about it. Keep yourself occupied and away from the kitchen. Remember, the mind works on the thought that if you can't have something, that something is the very thing that you want. If you stay busy, the time goes by faster and before you know it, its surgery time.
kellyh26
on 6/18/04 2:14 am - White Bluff, TN
Kelle, I would drink alot the night before stay up as late as possible, then sleep as late as possible.
k29acosta
on 6/19/04 5:33 am - roseburg, OR
drink a lot of water for the week prior to the surgery then rent some movies (since you won't be able to sleep anyway) bring friends or just your special someone and stay up late watching movies and sleep in (make sure you set an alarm in case you fall out) then when you get up you will only have time to shower (which you can gargle out your mouth with water) and gooooooo. if you drink lots of water the days prior you won't be so thirsty it works for me
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1073 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 978 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1065 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1120 views