Update....and emotions??

Sarah C.
on 9/18/12 6:47 am - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
Well, I did it.  I returned to work yesterday.  and it wore me out entirely.  Tomorrow is my two-week mark.  Thursday is my first post-op appointment.  They clearly missed me at work, so that should make me feel really good. 

The pain in my right side is gone.  I'm down 11.5 lbs.  That should make me happy, too, right? 

I'm feeling pretty low today.  I'm curious to know how many of you other September surgery folks are experiencing emotional upheaval?  what about sleep issues?  

I'm at the office right now and I could just cry.

just a little lost today and looking for some guidance and someone who can relate to whatever this is that is going on in my head. 

dinas27
on 9/18/12 2:15 pm - IL
RNY on 09/10/12
I think you are very normal!  So take a big deep breath and breathhhhhh!  From what I have seen on other threads, the first 3 or 4 weeks are very emotional because you are going through such a huge change.  Not to mention, you back at work which is a little stressful, and your body is still recovering.  Its a "perfect storm" for emotional upheaval!  BUTTTTTT....it will get better.  If it didnt, all these people would not be on here talking how great it is. 

As far as dreaming, and sleep issues, omg...I dream of food every night.  I dream that I eat something I shouldnt eat and I cant stop myself.  I have no idea if this is because I am still on clear liquids and really miss some food, or what it is.  Its very strange!

Hope you had a better day. 

Take care,

Dina

Sarah C.
on 9/18/12 2:44 pm - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
 I am so glad to know i am not alone in dreaming about food!  I had a dream I ate something incredibly sugary and was so afraid of dumping syndrome I was screaming to get the sugar out of me! I don't even remember what it was I ate in the dream, but fortunately, it was just that. I do dream of food a lot, even if I'm not the one eating it. I'm loooking forward to Thursday, but am trying not to get my hopes up in case he leaves me on liquids one more week. 

I was struggling this morning to drink anything, but have since had a bowl of broth, 16 oz of water, and 24 oz protein shake. Plus a little more from just sipping from other bottles throughout the day. I can not get dehydrated! 

Thank you for the pick me up! I needed it! Keep up the good work yourself. I'm going to take a nap! 

Sarah :)

lelagoddess
on 9/22/12 8:49 am
I had the same dream!  Last night--and it was oreos and I stopped and realized I was going to get dumping syndrome and I freaked out.  LOL

I go back to school Monday and still have 2 more weeks of work.  But school for me is classroom plus 2 8 hour days in a clinic, so it's like working part time.  I've been so exhausted by mid afternoon just from puttering around the house, I don't know how i'll be!  

It's good you're staying hydrated and getting your protein in!  What an acheivement. 

amarie3579
on 9/24/12 2:52 am, edited 9/24/12 2:53 am
RNY on 09/20/12
Hey Sarah! Had my surgery on 9/20/12. Hospital stay was ok, I guess, besides the fact the bed was uncomfortable and I look like I have been in a battle, with all these bruises I have since they had to poke IVs in me and got no luck. Came home 9/22/12 was a rough first day home, body ached, just wanted to sleep, house was a mess felt like I would never be myself again. 9/23/12 I cried a little bit and thought to myself "if only I was normal and could eat right I would never had needed this surgery in the first place" but my fiancee made me feel better (he had RNY same day as me) 9/24/12 which is today, I'm starting to feel kinda like myself. Up and walking taking my protien shakes.Sleep has been alot better now that we are both home. Made our 2 week post-op appointment. Haven't weighed myself yet. Trying to hold off as long as I can, and I even cleaned a bit today. So today so far is a good day, fiancee was having a good day but I think he over did it, He's laying down now. Hope everyone is doing fine. oh and hopefully by monday we will be able to start stage 2 of foods, move over chicken salad here I come lol!

Starting Weight: 345 lbs. Weight day of Surgery: 332lbs. Goal Weight: 160lbs.

amarie3579
on 9/24/12 3:11 am
RNY on 09/20/12
oh...and forgot to mention, my sense of smell has grown big time! I can smell things from a mile away.

Sarah C.
on 9/24/12 5:57 am - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
 Good to hear you're doing well!! I'm surprised you both had it done the same day! That's brave! 

Holy cow my nose! It's crazy the things I can smell!  If I were a man and lived in France, they could hire me as a Nose for a perfume company! 

I'm actually sitting at the doctor now and the lady across from me is complaining that she can't eat. Something about her teeth.  Anyway, I just want to shake her and go "lady, I've been doing liquids for three weeks.  I don't want to hear about it!" Now granted, I was approved for food last week, but I'm scared to eat it because I don't want to throw up. 

Yesterday I Put a Dab of peanut butter in my chocolate protein shake and I was nauseated all day long, to the point that I had to take a Phenergan 

and why is it after you have surgery people start to tell you the horror stories regarding other people who've had the surgery and their consequent complications?? "Oh! You look great!  So and so had it done and nearly DIED from blah blah blah."  Um, maybe they were doing something wrong? Or ma

Sarah C.
on 9/24/12 6:00 am - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
 Or maybe they had worse health than I did prior to their surgery? Or maybe they over did it?  There are any number of reasons they had a negative experience, but I'll bet in the long run, that moment of negative experience is entirely outweighed by the end result!

anyway, enough rambling!  Yay doctor time! :) 

amarie3579
on 9/24/12 9:10 am
RNY on 09/20/12
I know now all the horror stories come out more, I feel you on the liquid diet today is a frustrating day overall. just to be able to chew something and taste something other than jello lol

Chrissylyne64
on 9/25/12 1:00 am - painesville, OH
RNY on 09/04/12
My emotiona are all whacked out too!!!  I been avoiding tv because even golden girls was making me cry..lol....I have been healing good..and I do the dreaming of food too...It's in the back of our minds on the dumping so no wonder we dream of it...I have been getting nauseated over the protien shakes..so my bariatrics nurse told me to hold off on shakes and try to get my protien in through my pureed foods....I did order some Unjury chicken flavored protien..the sweet shakes turns my stomach..I used to LOVE sweetssssssss!!...I am down 19lbs from surgery Sept. 4th ...My first post -op appointment has been moved back so I won't see what my surgeron has to say of my progress till Oct 3rd :( ...I think it would be so great to have gone through this with a fiancee or another that would live in the house with me...When I go outside for walks I smell the BBQ's in the neighborhood.talk about TORTURE!!..lol..I love reading all f yur posts ..I need to post more often but haven't felt that anything in my life was post worthy yet..lol..Good luck all!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Sept 2012 Sleevers check in
lisa2job · 0 replies · 725 views
6 Months
Diabolique · 3 replies · 791 views
Problems with my incision
jewellee9 · 0 replies · 694 views