update from 11/10 rny surgery

hermance67
on 11/18/08 1:07 am - chatham, NY
i had my rny on 11/10 ended up being in the or longer than expected due to some leaks found.  ended up the 2nd day all out of it due to the morphine pump (i am sensive to narcs).  i finally started sipping on wednesday and then i started to puke for the next 2 days.  i was sensitive to the oil in the broth or fat.  i havent puked since i stopped taking broth.  i ended up staying 5 days total in the hospital.

i am drinking fine now.  not getting enough protein but i am slowly working on it.  its early out so i am not too worried about that yet.  slowly incorpating vitamins and tolerating it well.  i have no food cravings.  my left side hurts like a devil but i have just been using  hot compresses to relieve it. been doing a little walking.

i do think i was too ambitious to tell work i would return on 12/1.  when i go to the dr - i am want to extend it to 12/14.  i am a nurse on a busy floor and just dont have the energy level to do 12 hours of walking.

thanks

angie
Debbi M.
on 11/18/08 2:28 am - San Pedro, CA
Hi Angie... I'm glad you are home and feeling better.  I too had a lot of pain and swelling on my left side.  I didn't tolerate the broth or the Isopure in the hospital very well either.  I didn't vomit, but had horrible liquid diarrhea.  I was in the hospital 5 days too.. and felt soooo much better once I got home and started eating blended soup and my protein shakes.  It is hard to get it all in, but it does get better with time.  Just remember.. to sip sip sip tha****er... I have been dehydrated a couple of times and it just makes you feel crappy and not want to eat or anything... and we don't need that!  My doc said 4 weeks out minimum... not negotiable.  Im on my feet all day too, and lifting and restraining animals. (im a vet tech) So take the time off...  you need the rest and time to fully recover!  Good Luck and take care!!
Debbi

"There is not life without pain, no treasure without the hunt.... Getting things easily will never make us into the women God is calling us to be."  

Darlene E.
on 11/18/08 4:06 am - Harrow, Canada
I was wondering about you and how things went for you. Thanks for updating, but I'm sorry you've had such a hard time.

I'm glad you're starting to feel better now. Just keep doing what your doing by trying to get as much of your protein in as you can. Every day will get better.

I agree with you, you shouldn't rush back to work so soon.  As a nurse, you'll prob be lifting too. My surgeon doesn't want me lifting more then 5lbs for 6 weeks.

Just take your time and heal up good.
Our life is just beinging and now time is all a head of us. We can afford to take our time to heal. We're gonna live forever now LOLOLOL   Well relativly speaking LOL.

Hugs,

SINCE MY RNY NOVEMBER 10 2008

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Food Diary

Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 815 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 775 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1060 views
Losing Control