I will have what their having

Onelifetolive
on 9/14/12 9:01 am - TX
First I would like to start off by saying Lord please get me through this long drawn out day. 
Second, I want to know what people such as preachermomma37/sara are doing to have this type of weight loss.  I threw those two names out becaue I have befriended Sara.  What determines the amount of weight that one looses?  I know we all are different so please don't message that as a response since that is a true but a generic answer.  Is it based off of how big you are originally?  Not to offend anyone but I heard that the bigger you are the quicker you are to lose the weight.  Also men freakishly lose weight just by saying they will.  Is the weight loss determined on vitamin/protein intake?  If that was the case then all would be a success.  As contradictary as it may appear, I know all are successful on the DS some more than others.  I would like to be that other if no one minds.  I just want to be successful as much as possible so is it more protein and less carbs or what?  Are yall working out?  If so how often?  When everyone says protein it varies from food and shakes.  Is it possible to get all your protein in via food and not shakes?  (debatable I assume).  I know there has been several members on here who have surpassed their goals and have done amazing at this, so with that being said please enlighten us newbies.  I have read ds facts and anything else you may have suggested.  As my mom says, I'm one of those show me types.  I want to hear it from a horses mouth.  I hope I didnt offend anyone and if I did sorry.

Huneypie
on 9/14/12 9:36 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Someone with a starting weight of 500lb is going to lose faster than someone starting at 250lb. If they each lose 10% in the first weeks that 50lbs and 25lbs respectively.

I'm a noob and happily have avoided stalling so far. I'm doing high protein, low carb and have recently started working out now that I'm released to do so.

Hopefully others will chime in with their experience.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Onelifetolive
on 9/14/12 9:58 am - TX

Thanks for the reply and keep up the great job your doing on your DS.

PattyL
on 9/14/12 10:32 am
 Take a deep breath.

Sorry but the answer is that we are all different.

I've been around a long time and I would guesstimate more than 50% of us just sail on down to goal effortlessly.  20% lose too much at first and get to have a carb fest to quit losing.  Then you have the other 30%, the people who have to really work to lose and perhaps never get down to goal.  That's my group.  I will never see a normal BMI and I know it.  Maybe if I had a spare 70K or so for plastics.

If you want to maximize your loss, up the protein and cut out every single carb you can find.  Exercise helps too.  Start where you need to start and just do it consistently.  You will end up with no regrets if you do what you can do.

Even if you end up in the third group you will still look much better and be much healthier than if you had done nothing at all.  Just make the most of what you have to work with.  Speaking as a card carrying member of the 'bad' group I know how frustrating it can be to read about everyone else on the DS planet dropping scads of weight.  And then the really lucky ones who lose too much.  I wanted to be in that group.  But we get what we get.  It's rare to be dealt a Royal Flush.
Onelifetolive
on 9/14/12 10:54 am - TX

Wow, what a real eye opener.  Sorry your in the 3rd group, to lighten the topic please don't hand me one of ur cards. lol jk.  Very true with everything u said.  How do I know if I'm going to be a card member?  I have been obese since my mom intorduced me to foods so I'm praying not, but then again my entire family is large and in charge so theres no telling.  Thanks for sharing and giving me a new perspective.

PattyL
on 9/14/12 1:34 pm
 You may be a member of the group.  And no, I'm not wishing any bad ju-ju on you.  And I won't hand you a card!

I got my first diet at 6 weeks old.  My doc told my mom to replace one feeding with a bottle of water...  And from there it went downhill.  I learned the meaning of the word obese when I was two.

Here's my OPINION on this.  There are people in this world I call superabsorbers.  We are the folks who would survive almost any kind of disaster.  Our bodies are incredible machines and they absorb every last calorie.  How do you know if you MIGHT be one of these people?  Most of your family is fat.  You were fat before you were actually making food choices/decisions to eat.  It's extremely difficult to lose and you can maintain your weight on an 800 to 1000 calorie diet.  If that's you, I'm sorry.

What this means to you as a DSer is both good and bad.  First the good news.  You won't be one of those who is sickly and deficient.  Most likely you won't be needing infusions or extreme supplementation.  You already know the bad news.  It will still be hard to drop the weight.  You probably won't just eat whatever and lose 10lbs a week.  So don't experiment with carbs, just say no to all of them until you hit your goal.  Period.  And do whatever you can to burn more calories.  All protein, all the time.  You don't HAVE to drink shakes but if you can and they are no carb, it's a great way to force your body to drop weight.

And whenever you start feeling sorry for yourself, think about where you might be if you didn't have the DS.

I went through stages of being really angry and sad that I wasn't getting what seemed to be effortless for many.  I avoided the boards because it just made me ill to think I had put myself through all this and wasn't getting the promised results.  I whined a lot.  But the ultimate truth is still the ultimate truth.  Life isn't fair.  You get to chose to make the most of what you have or spend the rest of your life being disappointed.

So let's say you make the superhuman effort and lose the weight.  You get no free ride.  You will still gain easily if you let your guard down.  You will live low carb forever if you want to stay thin.
Onelifetolive
on 9/14/12 2:00 pm - TX
LMAO, its not funny but it is very true that my family is fat.  However I'm going to remain positive not nieve to think that I will be a success and make my goal.  You will be the first to view the pics.  Even if that means low carbs forever, it will be worth it.
PattyL
on 9/14/12 2:07 pm, edited 9/14/12 2:10 pm
 I'll hold you to that.  And I forgot to tell you, it's worth it.

Where do you live?  My sister is a DSer and she lives in Magnolia, close to Houston.

And one more thing.  All Common Channels are not created equal.  We could open up one person and have 10 vetted DS surgeons go measure a 75cm CC.  Well guess what?  They would all be different.  Every last one of them.  Intestines have muscle fibers and they are motile.  They use the muscles to help push food through the systems.  When I say motile, think about a very slowly moving earthworm.  Intestines are quite capable of shrinking and lengthening under their own power.  Just like the earthworm.  So there's another piece of information for you to chew on...
OH2012
on 9/14/12 5:05 pm - OH
There are multiple factors that can contribute to the rate of weight loss, some of which MAY include:

1. Your own body makeup and functioning (like metabolism, the presence or absence of other disease processes).
2. The correlation between the amount of calories required to maintain a weight and the amount of calories eliminated (It generally takes a higher amount of calorie consumption to gain and maintain a higher weight, than a lower one. If one person consumes 3000 calories a day and another person consumes 2000 calories a day - the first one would be giving up 2500 calories a day, when 3000 calories was needed to maintain their weight vs giving up 1500 calories, if they both start to consume only 500 calories).
3. Absorption rates(or mal-absorption rates) can differ - no matter the size of the individual. Intestines are not identical, close maybe - but they can differ in actual length and functioning (maybe not a lot, however, it could be another factor to consider).
4. The amount and portion (including function) of the intestine that is retained.
5. The consistency of the bowel movements (TMI - you get it).
6. The intake choices. If you never had a procedure, you would fair better with weight loss by consuming a high protein, low carb diet. (This is how the Atkins Diet is successful - for a period anyway). So what you eat (what, how much and how often) will be a factor.
7. Exercise. The more, the better.

Best wishes!!!
JazzyOne9254
on 9/14/12 11:35 am, edited 9/14/12 11:45 am
Not to offend anyone but I heard that the bigger you are the quicker you are to lose the weight. 

Not offensive at all to me.  I had heard that anecdote as well, and if you think about it, it makes perfect sense.  When your DS is new, you've only got about three ounces of food to work with until the maturation process of your new stomach is complete, about a year out. I had 2.8, but think about the enregy it takes to move your body around, even just to walk.  The fuel has to come from somewhere,,,and your body says. "We've got all this fat stored up, and since next to nothing's coming in, let's use it!", and so...you lose fat.

Is the weight loss determined on vitamin/protein intake?

The protein intake is so that you don't lose muscle in the process of your rapid weight loss phase.  The vitamins and minerals in such massive doses are essential to keep you healthy.  DSers are malabsorptive for *life*.  The villi in the small intestine, where absorption takes place, do grow more dense, but DSers have so much more intestine bypassed, that the villi cannot grow dense enough to compensate for that.  It is the malabsorption that keeps the weight off, but if you are not paying attention to your vites and protein, you can get really sick and into malnutrition very quickly.  This surgery requires high levels of proactive measures for sustained health.   It is *much* less forgiving, nutritionally speaking, than the RNY gastric bypass.

One of my compatriates from the hospital where I was switched went through a really bad spell of protein calorie malnutrition.  When you don't take in enough protein, your body literally starts eating itself, chemically speaking, in using the available muscles and organs as protein sources. This is why you hear of anorexics dying of heart failure, even though obesity is one of the leading causes of heart disease.  Their bodies are using the heart, which is made of muscle, as a protein source.    Remember the "liquid protein diet" back in the  '70's? That was supposed to trick the body into burning fat, but instead, many on that diet wound up with kidney failure.  Some even died.   I did Optifast and Medifast under doctor supervision right after Oprah came out with her little red wagon filled with fat...but the thing is, once you start feeding your body solid food in an unaltered state, after coming off of a plan like that,  it's going to "save" everything you put in, because it is programmed to prevent starvation, which is exactly what Optifast and Medifast (shakes only) do to your body...send your body into starvation mode!

I didn't take very good care of myself the previous six months.  My Mom was making her transition.  She passed away in April, and my  every 6 month labs, drawn in May, were the worst I've ever had!  I am now battling deficiencies in Vitamins D and K, prealbumin (this is  a protein component in your blood, and is an essential carrier for protein in the body), zinc,  high PTH (I have been diagnosed with osteopenia; PTH over 72 means your body is leaching calcium from your bones; that means calcium deficiency), and for the first time in my life, iron deficiency anemia.  Once a week for a month. I went for infusions of multivitamins, calcium and iron.  I will have recheck labs drawn next week, after a 72 hour vitamin fast, and fasting the night before the draw.

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU  !!!!! 

Also, the configuration of our intestines determines what we absorb.  Did you know that there are four different areas in the small intestine where different components of food are absorbed?  The section where fat is absorbed becomes our biliopancreatic channel, so that section is effectively taken out of the mix.  That's one reason why we only absorb 20% of all the fat we eat. No bile or pancreatic juices mix with fat in the stomach, and the common channel is the section that absorbs simple carbs and sugars.  That's why we still absorb 100 percent of those things. Complex carbs and protein are still broken down in the stomach, but they also have limited exposure to the biliopancreatic juices, so...when you get to the common channel...only half of that is being absorbed, due to limited chemical exposure, and not enough "hang time" to be broken down any further than it is.

Does your head hurt yet?    I know mine did when all of this was explained in class by my professor!

Is it possible to get all your protein in via food and not shakes?  (debatable I assume).

I would say it depends on the length of your common channel. That's where the absorption takes place, and with everyone measuring out differently, I suppose some can.  I know I can't, because my common channel is only 75 cm...the shortest my surgeon will do anymore.  I asked for 50 cm and got an emphatic "No!".  I suppose if you ate only very high protein meats, such as shrimp, scallops (23g per serving!), liver, lots of red meat, eggs  and little else, you probably could.  I just like the insurance of my 20 ozs protein shake everyday, and I happen to like certain veggies and variety.  A plate full of meat is not very appetizing to look at!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views