ds revision

myblueseven
on 1/10/13 10:10 pm - Sudbury, Canada

i had a ds 5 years ago.I was 300lbs and went down to 190.  I was elated.  Life was good. But, I couldn't get past the 190 mark to my 150 goal.  I had a tummy tuck thinking this was all I could do.

Unfortunately since then I have watched the weight creep back up and am now at 250.  I seem to have not had a ds at all.  I am not sure what else I can do.  I am miserable again. 

Maybe I am just supposed to be fat.

SUE
Jaiart
on 1/10/13 10:29 pm - MI
Just wondering, who was your DS surgeon?

southernlady5464
on 1/10/13 10:44 pm

Sue, get back to basics...it is very hard but cut out the carbs (even veggies for now) and focus on protein/fat.

I suspect you can drop it quickly if you do that but you have to go back to what is best for the DS...protein!

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

determineddanni
on 1/11/13 3:00 am

Do you have any details?

What is your protein and carb intake daily?

What type of carbs are you taking in?

How much fat is in your diet?

How is the rest of your health/labs?

Who was your surgeon?

How long is your CC?

How big was your sleeve?

How is your fluid intake?

Do you take any prescriptions?

How is your activity level?

To be honest have heard of very very few people gaining weight back on the DS and it's only because they aren't following the rules anymore. Fill us in on the big picture:) please give us more details:)

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Valerie G.
on 1/11/13 3:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You can totally do this, Sue.  A little bit of regain is normal, but it seems that you've lost control.  I speak from experience and have to detox myself a couple of times a year.   Protein loading will help you ease the carb cravings and get you back on track.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

myblueseven
on 1/11/13 5:25 am - Sudbury, Canada

Thanks for all the support.  I did go back to my surgeon in Michigan 1 year after.  The only advice he gave me was to stop eating cheese and putting cream in my coffee.  I drink 1 coffee a day and thought cheese was a good fat and protein source. \not much help.

I can admit I am off track with the diet but I don't know which way to go.

How much protein and fat should I plan on daily.  Are certain sources better than others.

How many carbs are acceptable.  Ive been told so many amounts I just don't know anymore.\

Unfortunately I do not have a very good doctor.  Most people in my area do not have a doctor, they just go to clinics.  The dr. who suggested the surgery has left practice. No one else seems to know what to tell me.  I havent had bloodwork in 3 years.

I know this is alot to ask here but 1 really have nowhere  else to go.

Thanks

SUE
determineddanni
on 1/11/13 5:42 am

oh dear

Most surgeon's/doctors/dieticians/nutritionists don't have a clue about after care. So if you were following their guidelines... then you probably are very confused. You should check out Bites and Vites posted by Gina :) to get an idea of what you should be eating. I am not an expert by any means but this is what I do.

When I am trying to lose weight:

my protein is 150g minimum

my carbs are only 50g or less

DON'T COUNT CALORIES, this doesn't apply to us

WE NEED FAT! yes yes yes! Get the diet mentality out of your head, fat is good for us. So cheese is GREAT for us and so is cream!

you need 64oz of water a day

you should be taking vitalady's plan or something similar to that (your ADEK's should be in dry form only)

how are you labs sitting?

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Valerie G.
on 1/11/13 6:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Dani's right

100+ grams of protein - and I wouldn't be concerned about cheese - that's crazy.  Put heavy cream in your coffee - you need the fat and can lose the lactose.  Those really trying to lose will keep carbs below 50g.  I just try to kick the simple carbs and not sweat the veggies.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jaiart
on 1/11/13 7:33 am, edited 1/11/13 3:33 pm - MI
100+, how much + do you Vet's recommend? And how much "below 50" would you say is safe for carbs? Are there any dangers of going too low on carbs?

MsBatt
on 1/11/13 7:48 am

The amount of + on protein would depend on your individual labs, and the OP hasn't had any in three years. As for carbs---it's "safe" to eat no carbs at all. (Nearly impossible, but safe.) Think about it---there are essential amino acids, and there are essential fatty acids---but there are no essential carbs.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 318 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 780 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views